Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Palm 4.40 Patch Released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Palm 4.40 Patch Released
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: TomTom Palm 4.40 Patch Released Reply with quote

TomTom Palm users can now jump up and down with glee, as TomTom have just released the 4.40 patch for TomTom Palm. This brings the Palm OS release to the same release level as GO and includes the newly awaiting Customisable Points Of Interest (POI)!

The patch can be downloaded from here.
Falkien
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

\o/

Fantastic - Installed the update, and now trying it too see how many POIs it takes to break it :-D

Thanks to Dave and all of the beta testers
Falkien
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be working well so far,

Roads are clearer now since they have a black outline (in V4.12 and below they didn't)

Remember to ensure that your SD card is write enabled if you want to create new POIs, spent 10 mins wondering why it didn't work Embarassed

Anyone else tried creating POIs in TomTom ? I can't seem to use the 'buildings' as icons, markers do work though Question

Dave
themax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: POI creation Reply with quote

Falkien wrote:
Seems to be working well so far,

Roads are clearer now since they have a black outline (in V4.12 and below they didn't)

Remember to ensure that your SD card is write enabled if you want to create new POIs, spent 10 mins wondering why it didn't work Embarassed

Anyone else tried creating POIs in TomTom ? I can't seem to use the 'buildings' as icons, markers do work though Question

Dave

Creating is pretty easy, the only thing is that when you (from map view) click on "Add POI", it asks you to enter a category. If you want to add to an existing category, you need to cancel that screen and click on "Add POI" on the following screen (this new screen comes with the 4.40 update).

The categories must be provided with both the icon and the .ov2 file, see TomTom website and search for help on this for the GO, and you understand what is needed. You can create your own icons if they are named exactly as the category ov2 file and are in the right format (22 x 22 pixels, 8 bit depth and saved as uncompressed BMP)

.mats
Falkien
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks,

I hadn't realised that I could cancel the new category screen, and continue to place the POI in an exsisting category Embarassed

nice one

I wish they'd write some manuals Confused
The_Mystery_Tramp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: How to add POIs Reply with quote

First post, so here goes... I was awaiting the facility to add POIs and it was great to see it arrive. However, loading them from a(n) .ov2 file isn't intuitive and it took a little effort to find out how to do it. I understand that there is no "formal" method provided by TomTom yet. Bad news is that, so far, there's not an easy way. Good news is that it's possible but it really does need some care!
If you have a card reader, place the .ov2 file and a correspondingly named .bmp file into the TomTom Great_Britain Map directory on the SD card. See warnings elswhere regarding format/content of .bmp file.

If you don't have a card reader (like me Crying or Very sad ) then:
1) Be careful
2) Get a copy of the FileZ utility for Palm
3) Rename your .ov2 and .bmp files so that they have a .mp3 suffix (Be careful!). I just took out the . before the ov2 and bmp and put .mp3 on the end.
4) Drag the two renamed files to the Expansion Card window on Palm Desktop Quickinstall
5) Perform a hotsync
6) Fire up FileZ on the Palm
7) Find your new .mp3 files - probably in the /AUDIO directory on your SD card
8 ) Rename the .ov2 and .bmp files back to their originals- in the example above, remove the .mp3 suffix and put the "." back in before the ov2 and bmp. Be careful here. You have to use the "Details" button at the bottom of the FileZ display.
9) Now move the two files to the TOMTOM Great_Britain Map directory- tag both files by taping on them, select File/Move and carefully spell out the name of the map directory. Take lots of care with this step.

Just to stress this- you need to be careful in all of these actions!

The problem is that the Palm does not have any default application for .ov2 files and I "Lost" the .bmp files the first time I hotsync'd. Beware- that might indicate my skill level!

It worked for me but you'll need to decide for yourself if you want to try this.
themax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Try Pilot Install istead Reply with quote

If you don't have a card reader, nor a software like Filez, I suggest you download Pilot Install from http://envicon.com/e/pinstall/pinstall.html.

With it, you can install all files without the hassle to rename them first, and you can choose the destination directory directly. Usable for all hard core Palm users.

.m
The_Mystery_Tramp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey- wish I'd known about Pilot Install... Confused
I've just had a note from TomTom support that they will post a solution on their web site soon. It would be worth checking there before using this manual method.
All the best,
T_M_T
KrisK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just loaded the Total PDA speed camera POIs into my updated T3, and it works! Took me ages to figure out how to load the files though as Quick Install refused to do it. I had to download a program to give me access to the SD card via the PC
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd get a card reader. All come with USB plugs and they really are invaluable and inexpensive. Most you're likely to pay for a good one is around £18-20, the best is around £5. Well worth the money and a lot quicker in transfering large maps or data to storage cards.
nex
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FANTASTIC ! Laughing

Transfered .ov2 and .bmp via card reader , easy config and voila !

was waiting for e-mail from tomtom but saw it here first, what joy!

thanks

Dave
Daviej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just bought Tom Tom for my T3 (after careful analysis of this forum, thankyou everyone!) I was delighted :D to find an update to allow POI's etc. However having downloaded the patch and tried to install it I can not get it to appear in quick install and when ever I hot sync it is not updating current version. Sad I have used a patch to allow use of stretch screen which worked a treat, that installed with out any problems, WHat am I doing wrong?? Confused
rusty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size is your sd card ?. If its 128 then prob not enough space left for update. Try 256 card. Think update is 3 mb bigger.
Worked for me .
andrewh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last Laughing It is great. Created my own friends POI list with my daughter's giraffe as logo. Works brilliantly.

As I am in Belgium, I am wondering whether to subscibe to the POIHandler.com speedcam database. Does anyone have any experience of the quality of updates and the accuracy of the info. Many of the free POI lists are quite awful - inaccurate, out of date and just bl..dy wrong!

Happy Palmer
Andrew
The_Mystery_Tramp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case you want to go bananas (as I did) and load the full set of Post Codes by George Spanellis, it looks as if there is a hard limit to the number of POI types that can be managed. If you load all of the .ov2 files to your SD card, you'll see them all in the directory if you are using FileZ but only around 30-40 appear as selectable in the POI maint dialogs. A single, consolidated file might be the answer. Notwithstanding, I take my hat off to George for a fantastic job of producing all of those Post Code files!
T_M_T

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: