Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Traffic Improved
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Traffic Improved
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: TomTom Traffic Improved Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
TomTom have announced a number of major enhancements to its TomTom Traffic service. At the same time, they have announced the availability of TomTom Traffic in Indonesia and Slovenia.

The enhancements include Turn-Dependent Jam Information, Dynamic Speed Limit Messages, Weather Influenced Predictions and Road Condition Monitoring after Rain or Snow. The improvements will be rolled out to users from April.

The Turn-Dependent Jam Information automatically detects the different 'turn dependent traffic situations at junctions and enables the navigation system to only take into account jams specific to the driver’s turn intention on their specific route.

TomTom Traffic will automatically monitor roads with variable speed signs and display them to the driver. The weather monitoring is self explanatory, route calculations will take weather into account to improve the accuracy of information and delays.

Source: tomtom.com

email icon

That_Merril
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Signal Problems Reply with quote

Personally, I'd settle for being able to receive a signal for more than 50% of the time! They can make it as clever as they want, if you can't get a signal, it's useless.
Engine_Counter
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.

I've been travelling regularly from Derby to Lincoln and return for the last 7 weeks. The signal disappears at least twice in each direction on each trip. Sometimes the signal never comes back, sometimes it comes back within a few (5-10) minutes, sometimes it justs sits there retrying, and sometimes it tries and fails (yellow triangle).

It's got noticeably worse since I renewed my subscription. If I'd been due to renew a month later I wouldn't have bothered, and looked for a replacement device.

Get your act together TomTom.

Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra - Android 11.0
CamerAlert V 1.4.0.876 Doesn't Work
TomTom Go Mobile V3.1.0 (4036), Map - UK & ROI - V15464/2.4.3.
mmm-five
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can only agree with the previous 2 posts.

I regularly do a 4 hour commute (Liverpool to London & vice versa), and I'll be driving towards a jam, with an optional diversion in place and then the traffic will clear so I carry on the original/quicker route - only to have no traffic info 5 miles later just as I approach the back of a motorway full of queuing traffic.

Sometimes a forced reset will reinstate the traffic, other times it will give false info, other times it will sit there 'trying to connect' and other times it will say the 'server is not responding' and give me no info.

I'd use the built-in BMW system in my car, but that has a habit of reversing your route with no warning when you take a suggested diversion, so you end up heading back to where you started - hence the use of the TomTom.

Anyone know whether the newer models that rely on your phone's data connection are more reliable for traffic?
clinkerman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using G0 600 with phone data.
Never has a problem as long as I have a mobile data connection.

I nearly always take the fastest route diversion around traffic and have concerns sometimes that the traffic has cleared but I'm still taking the diversion. But I still get where I'm meant to be on time so I'm happy.
digital
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Signal Problems Reply with quote

That_Merril wrote:
Personally, I'd settle for being able to receive a signal for more than 50% of the time! They can make it as clever as they want, if you can't get a signal, it's useless.

+1

And the ability to install the speed camera database on a TomTom 5100.
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm-five wrote:

Anyone know whether the newer models that rely on your phone's data connection are more reliable for traffic?

Yes, I have the TT app on my Android smartphone and only rarely not receive data - and that includes in a lot of Europe. Far from UK home - now in Spain.

Samsung Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tablet S, TomTom. Osmand+ and Sygic. Ex-TomTom Go 1000 Live, ex-TomTom Go 700, ex-TomTom truck, ex Navman/Ipaq
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine_Counter wrote:
I agree.

I've been travelling regularly from Derby to Lincoln and return for the last 7 weeks. The signal disappears at least twice in each direction on each trip. Sometimes the signal never comes back, sometimes it comes back within a few (5-10) minutes, sometimes it justs sits there retrying, and sometimes it tries and fails (yellow triangle).

It's got noticeably worse since I renewed my subscription. If I'd been due to renew a month later I wouldn't have bothered, and looked for a replacement device.

Get your act together TomTom.

That's weird. I do the same. I use the A50/A453/A46. I've never lost signal. Which Tomtom are you using? I have a GO5000
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These "improvements" are another case of TomTom fiddling with stuff. I'd be far happier if they concentrated on providing traffic details for the whole of my journey.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On three occasions this week alone I've been held up at road works which I received little or no warning about. On Wednesday I drove from Southport to Ellesmere Port and was routed over the Runcorn Bridge, with absolutely no mention of any road works or delays. 20 minutes later I joined the M57 and received warnings of a 10 minute delay in Runcorn, another 20 minutes later I arrived at the long standing roadworks and 20+ minutes of delay, I was decidedly unimpressed Sad
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love waze on the iPhone far more accurate and more user friendly and interactive and the most important thing it's free
Engine_Counter
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcwarre wrote:

That's weird. I do the same. I use the A50/A453/A46. I've never lost signal. Which Tomtom are you using? I have a GO5000

I've got a GO 940 LIVE, with latest software and Maps

I generally go A52/A46, as that's the way it sends me.

Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra - Android 11.0
CamerAlert V 1.4.0.876 Doesn't Work
TomTom Go Mobile V3.1.0 (4036), Map - UK & ROI - V15464/2.4.3.
porge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Re traffic Reply with quote

i just wish id never bought the thing!

Go 6000, at night the traffic 90% of the time does not either work or it doesnt know of most road closures (delivery van so out in the early hours)
take saturday AM for example
M6 J1 - M1 closed
A14 closed M1- J1
A14 J33 - J35
A14 J33 Westbound
A14 slip to M6 north (ok road works at cathorpe so that can confuse the unit)

of the above it only knew about J33-J35 A14 eastbound, which over the last two weeks has been closed most nights, this occasion was about the 3rd time its known its closed!
but it does work "better" in the day.
Also the speed cam database is pathetic! some motorways it does seem to be updated in areas quite rapidly (when Avg speed cams are say installed, the removal however takes an age. example A14 J31 to J34 it still thinks is 50 mph avg speed, and the cameras are al miss located, these roadworks avg cams were removed months ago, but permanent ones are in its place at national speed limit.

tom tom as usual offer the same standard issue answers to resolve which dont work, when i asked if i could return it for refund, they said to contact the retailer. i purchased it direct from Tom Tom!

useless

im now back using my go750live after replacing the faulty screen,
traffic does seem slightly better, go750 still the best unit ive ever had, and i can install the PGW camera database Smile
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run TomTom "UK & Ireland" and "Europe" apps on my iPhone.

I have found over the last year that TomTom traffic has been extremely reliable.

Yesterday my wife and I drove back from Disneyland Paris and TomTom Traffic was accurate with the queues (which were fortunately in the other direction) and once we'd arrived back in Britain we were warned of the usual hold ups on the M25 and re-routed accordingly - in fact the alternative route kept us moving all of the time.

It will be interesting to see how the improved system copes with variable speed limits in the UK.

It seems like the TomTom systems that use either their own SIM card or data from a phone are more accurate than TomTom units that have a RDS-TMC receiver.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had notification that my iOS TomTom apps (UK & Ireland and Europe) both had updates and both went from v1.22 to v1.22.1.

I wonder if that update was for TomTom Traffic enhancement.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: