Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No Cameralerts notifications whilst in the background
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No Cameralerts notifications whilst in the background

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterbegg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: No Cameralerts notifications whilst in the background Reply with quote

Hi

Apologies if this has already been asked but I searched and couldn't find anything specific to my issue.

I have an Iphone5 on ios 7.1.1 and cameralert 1.4.1. Whilst both TomTom and Cameralert both work on their own. I do not get any alerts from Cameralert when its in the background. I have checked the sttings and whilst background refresh is enable there is no option for cameralert in the Notifications settings. I have deleted and re-installed to no effect, has anyone got any ideas?

Many Thanks
PiaggioMP3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure under iPhone settings

Settings General Background App Refresh - that CamerAlert is showing "green" i.e. permission to refresh in the background is "on"

Make sure under CamerAlert settings that you touch the little "arrow" to the right of "Warnings". Make sure the sound is set to the Music Note or the Bottom Speaker. I had mine set to Bluetooth but it wasn't connected to the car radio, so there was nothing heard over the sound of the engine. (You get a whisper of sound but very hard to hear).

On my iPhone I turn off the "moving map" display as it zooms in and out all over the place and eventually crashes. Leaving the map off makes it a little more reliable.

iPhone 5S - 7.1.2 - CoPilot 9

Jeff
Panet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: It's not there Reply with quote

Settings General Background App Refresh - CamerAlert isn't in the list of apps. That could be why she's silent, but how do I correct this?
iPhone 5 with iOS 8.1, CA 1.4.1.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cameralert is listed under
Settings
Privacy
Location Services
In iOS 8

Is that set to always or never?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tested mine in the background with tomtom in the foreground and works fine with location services set to always.
Panet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Cameralert is listed under
Settings
Privacy
Location Services
In iOS 8

Is that set to always or never?

Found it. But it's already set to always.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling that CA shuts down after about 10mins of no movement. Are you falling foul of this feature?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF can't I edit my last post?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it work when in the foreground?
Panet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it in the foreground today on the school run. It worked. So then I opened up my dashcam in the foreground, CA still worked. So then I opened up my TomTom app to guide me home (Laughing Out Loud). TT and CA qwere running in the background behind the dashcam. Both worked giving me audio.

I normally drive with the dashcam running. On longer journeys I run the dashcam in the foreground with TT and CA in the background switching quickly to TT if I need the map, then back to dashcam. This way CA hasn't been giving me audio - until today.

So is it something to do with the order in which apps are opened? And if it is, is that a bug that can be fixed?

iPhone 5 iOS 8.1 CA 1.4.1
ClassA
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject: For me CamerAlert is very unreliable Reply with quote

I have been using CamerAlert for two or three years I guess and my experience is it is very unreliable. I start it and put it in the background behind, usually, Waze or CoPilot and it works as I go past a few cameras and then a little later I go past a camera and nothing, and I have to bring it into the foreground and restart it. Hassle I could do without when I'm driving. A couple of days ago I was driving into London on the M4, which I do very often. There is a 60mph camera near the Heston services, another halfway to the elevated section, and at the beginning of the elevated section there are two 40mph cameras. I got a warning from CamerAlert as I passed the first 60mph camera and then nothing as I past the other three cameras, so CamerAlert stopped working in the minute or so between the first and second cameras, a period when I absolutely know I didn't touch my iPhone. I will not be sorry if it is withdrawn from the App Store because I think a warning system that is unreliable is worse than no warning system at all.

I have struggled with it for a couple of years, and I've reinstalled it, and my experience is that it is Mickey Mouse software and not part of a serious protection system. I made it more reliable by choosing the display of a list of local cameras, as opposed to the map display, which is a disaster, as it frequently gets into a mode where it constantly repaints the map until it crashes.

Maybe this is just my experience. I have persisted and I think it is a real shame. I have an iPhone 4S and I always update my software, so it is all current.

I also have the PGSWorld camera database installed in a Tomtom, which is now long in the tooth and I don't use it often because I don't want to pay Tomtom prices for updating the map, but at least it is a reliable and stable platform for the PGSWorld dstabase. I find the CoPilot camera warning functionality pretty good, the database is updated every month or so and seems quite comprehensive, and it is reliable. I could live with it, which is not the case with CamerAlert.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me first declare my position in this - I read about CamerAlert for iPhone when it first came out and it persuaded me to buy an iPhone! So I'm a CamerAlert Fanboy. Started with iPhone 3GS and am now on 5S.

I seem to recall there was a problem of this sort with either the 4 or 4S, but I can't remember which - I had one of them.

I do have this problem now. I reported long ago that I lose audio pretty much whenever I get a phone call or a text. Not every time, which is annoying, because it's difficult to replicate. I don't know how much credence PGPSW give to my report, but I do know they've run up against Apple difficulties with any recent development or upgrading of the App.

I'm familiar with those M4 cameras at Heston, and I often stop in Heston to phone in for a congestion charge - as soon as I've finished the call, I stop and restart CamerAlert and then I have no problem with it. I have now developed the habit of doing that every time I have a phone call - I don't get too many and I run CamerAlert in foreground (map display "Only When Near") and no other apps, so it's no great effort to stop and restart the app.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Dave574
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: iphone 6 on IOS 8.4.1 Reply with quote

CA works fine when open but when put to background does not give any warnings.
CA does not appear in my Background App Refresh list.
in settings location services is on always with a little purple arrow next to it , but CA does not appear in notifications list. not even in the 'do not include' list.

Tried re loading and rebooting iphone but still have the same problem.

any ideas please? would really like this to give warnings as my merc comand 4.0 system isnt able to accept the patch that is on PGPS for 4.5

Thank you
Ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: