Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - dashcam GPS module connector 2.5mm jack plug
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

dashcam GPS module connector 2.5mm jack plug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timwebb2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: dashcam GPS module connector 2.5mm jack plug Reply with quote

Hi,
Can anyone please shed some light on GPS modules and a problem I am experiencing?
I have purchased a dashcam and connected a GPS module. However only limited GPS data appears on the screen. Coordinates only no time or date, could this be due to the fact I am using a 3 pole plug and not a 4 pole?
The date and time are the manually set values. I was hoping these would be overiden.

Thanks.
Tim
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: dashcam GPS module connector 2.5mm jack plug Reply with quote

Hi timwebb2,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

timwebb2 wrote:
Can anyone please shed some light on GPS modules and a problem I am experiencing?

Firstly, what dash cam and GPS module do you have?

timwebb2 wrote:
I have purchased a dashcam and connected a GPS module. However only limited GPS data appears on the screen. Coordinates only no time or date, could this be due to the fact I am using a 3 pole plug and not a 4 pole?

Sounds like your dash cam has a built in screen. Have you played back the video on your computer - using the dash cam's recommended software? Are you inserting the GPS plug into the correct socket?

The Registrator Viewer software, by Vadim Andreevich Kozlov, is useful and there are both Windows and MacOS platform versions - although I've only tried the Windows version. Registrator Viewer should play most well known dash cams recordings with no problems.

timwebb2 wrote:
The date and time are the manually set values. I was hoping these would be overiden.

Have you read the manual?

I have two RoadHawk HD units (one front and one rear). You can connect an external microphone via a 3.5mm cable, I have not needed to use an external microphone. You can also connect an external GPS antenna (supplied) which I have done for the front unit as the windscreen caused a problem. Although I'm currently trying the front unit without the external GPS antenna which does slightly delay getting a GPS fix. The rear RoadHawk HD unit doesn't need the external GPS antenna.

To sum up:
1. What are your units
2. Have you read the manual?
3. Are you using the correct plug in the correct socket?
4. Have you checked the recoding and data on your computer?

Thanks.
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
timwebb2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,
thanks for your advice.
I did some more searching online and got to the bottom of the problems.
The rear mirror dashcam is a generic Chinese model sold under various names but known as the Rearview Mirror Car DVR Allwinner 6000A Dual Camera.
It is supposed to work with an external GPS module but there are firmware issues and is does not fully record or register all of the GPS data.
There are Russian forums dedicated to identifying the issues as for some reason the dashcam is popular in Russia and Kazakhstan!
The moral of this story is that if you want a reliable dashcam that fully supports GPS and on line map tracking afterwards go for a brand name.
(as you did)
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

regards,
Tim
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

Sorry to hear that your purchase wasn't up to the standard that you wanted.

If you google RoadHawk you'll find that some dash cam review websites don't rate the RoadHawk as well as other dash cams but those websites are generally US ones. I bought two RoadHawk HD units (for my wife and me) as soon as they became available (January 2013) and we've have had no problems with them. Since the firmware upgrade to 1.9, you can use 64GB cards which even at the highest setting (1080p, 30 fps, 12 bit/s) gives you room for 10 hours recording. I am so impressed with the RoadHawk HD that I recently bought another one to record the rear view.

I like the ideas of a dash cam as a rear view mirror unit, however I don't think that any of that type are any good yet. The RoadHawk is small enough that it wont be seen - especially if you use black electricians tape to cover the logo for more of a stealth installation.

Dash cams that record both front and rear views at the same time are OK but I think that you get a better result with two separate units one for front and the other for rear.

timwebb2 wrote:
for some reason the dash cam is popular in Russia and Kazakhstan!

That is mainly because of the poor standards of vehicle upkeep as well as driving, so many people use dash cams. They also allegedly use dash cams to counter police and government corruption.

What ever dash cam that you buy next, do remember to try the Registrator Viewer software, by Vadim Andreevich Kozlov.

Kind Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

JaTe wrote:
... the one problem I found with it was that after it had done it's calculations and put together all the individual 1 minute RH clips, it laid it's own track which at times would be straight line "point to point", meaning that in playback mode it would suddenly jump and miss a short segment out, which I found a bit strange and annoying for an otherwise useful resource.

I've only used the software for a month or so, so I'm still learning it. I have not seen the behaviour that you've experienced.

When the problem occurs, is it just one of the one minute clip (for each problem) that causes an issue or would each problem consist of more than one clip that causes the jump?

Just thinking out aloud here, it sounds like one (or more of the one minute clips) are faulty so the GPS track cannot be accounted for the while of the journey so the software joins the known tracks together which would result in a straight line in places where it hasn't got the tracks.

Can you try something for me? If you take a whole journey with one or more of these straight line point to points and copy all of the one minute clips to a new temporary folder for a test. Point the Registrator Viewer software at that new folder and see if one or more of the one minute clips are marked as "broken files" (I think by an exclamation mark) if so try the "Repair Broken File" button", which gives you two options. Have a play with each option and see what happens - as the files are all copies it doesn't matter if they are properly fixed or messed up as you're using a copy for testing.

I've used the "Repair Broken File" button" to get rid of the broken file indicator but I've not had to use it to fix the GPS track, so I don't know if the "Repair Broken File" button" will sort our the problem that you've mentioned.

If that doesn't work then please examine the individual files that cause the straight line - do they contain GPS data?

I've had a look at the list of Registrator Viewer supported dash cams and only the RoadHawk HD is listed, although that is not to say that other RoadHawk units e.g. the RoadHawk DC1 won't work - as you've already shown.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

That's good news that the Registrator Viewer software works well for you and that you like it. Also, more importantly, that the trace didn't veer off line at any point.

The point about reformatting SD/SDHC/SDXC cards is a good reminder to all of us that use dash-cams. When I asked Martyn of RoadHawk how often cards should be re-formatted. He replied once every 8 weeks to minimise card problems.

Kind Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
AndyMcG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ timwebb2:

I have the exact same Mirror DVR but it wasn't supplied with a GPS Module.

Can you tell me which one I need and where to buy it?

I am unsure whether it requires 3 or 4 pins too? All I know is it is a 2.5mm jack plug required.

Many thanks Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: