Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iPhone vs TomTom Live XL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iPhone vs TomTom Live XL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: iPhone vs TomTom Live XL Reply with quote

I curently have TomTom Live XL with a quarterly map update subscription, yearly live services sibscription and of course the PGPS Speed Camera subscription. Everything works well and I'm pretty happy.

The thing is my daughter has just got her first car and will need a SatNav so one thing I thought of doing is to use my iPhone and let her have my TomTom (to avoid the expense of another TomTom).

I've never used TomTom on iPhone so it would be great if someone could give me some feedback on the following:

1. How is the user experience compared with usign a standalone unit.
2. Can you get live services with HD traffic on iPhone?
3. Do the PGPS speed camera alerts work the same on iPhone and can you use custom alert OGG files like you can with a TomTom?
4. How does it compare on cost for live services and map updates?

Thanks in advance.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partial reply only, relating to your item 3.

Get from the App Store CamerAlert by PGPSW - free and actually much better even than the version for TomTom. You've already got a subscription and the updating makes the weekly update process which you currently use look like from the Ark.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
JLee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Denis for taking the time to reply.

I've done more research myself and have found out the following:

1. Largely positive reviews about the iPhone app but not detailed enough for me to know how it compares to a standalone TomTom so if anyone can offer more info I'd appreciate it. E.g. Does it show all the status bar info such as Your speed, Speed limit, ETA, Distance to destination etc.

2. Sounds like it's an in app purchase and cheaper than the £47.50 I just paid on my TomTom. might be a slim chance of getting it transferred if I phone customer service and grovel.

3. As per Denis reply above.

4. Loads cheaper as map updates are free (think I paid about £50 for a quarterly update) and HD Traffic is £18.99 instead of £47.50. Makes me feel like I've just been ripped off actually! If I hadn't renewed my Live Services last month all of that could have bought me the app and a year of HD Traffic.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you actually looked at Sygic on the iPhone?

On the Android version it uses TomTom maps in 3D (but don't think as up to date as TT) - You can buy HD Traffic inside the app for around £10 for UK and with CameraAlert you have speed camera updates downloaded directly to the app
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put PGPSW database into Sygic, but it's a bit of a pain and are non directional as opposed to directional in CA with an easy peasy weekly update.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on the iPhone version but don't imagine it's much different from TomTom Android, which I have on a Galaxy Note 3, and personally I find it a right pita and certainly wouldn't buy it again.

Routing is as you would expect from TomTom, but visually it's terrible, the highlighted route is very little different from the surrounding road colours and all but impossible to see whilst driving. Last week I was sat in traffic at the end of the M58 and all the surrounding roads were marked as congested (on TomTom) with the little dotted line, but they totally obliterated the highlighted route. Meanwhile, the direction arrow pointed vaguely somewhere between straight on & turn right so I had to guess at the route, which is not what I expect from a Sat Nav.

I believe that a new map should be due for release and I really hope there's a vast improvement over the current one.
irev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: iPhone v tomtom Reply with quote

I wondered if you took the plunge with iPhone. I currently have tomtom one iq but no live traffic. The yearly subscription for maps is 49.50 whereas the app including lifetime maps is 34.99 but is the phone as clear as stand alone tt? I travel in Europe once a year and wondered if anybody knew how data charges apply if using tt with live traffic on iPhone?
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@irev

In terms of whether the iPhone app is as clear as stand alone tomtom, my experience is that it is much clearer!
The display on an iPhone is far superior to that on a stand alone tomtom unit
It depends on which iPhone you have though, as to how big and clear the display is.

As for data usage, my data usage counters were last reset in December 2013, since then I have driven 13,400 miles, probably using the tomtom app for about 70% of that with live traffic running constantly
So lets say 9,000 miles over 10 months.

My data usage by the tomtom app is shown as 47.2 MB, so about 4MB per month.

Data charges when roaming will vary but consider the various options available before travelling, for example Three UK now offer "like at home" which lets you use your UK data allowance in several countries in Europe.

Hope this helps!
JLee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't taken the plunge yet as I only just paid for live services on 2 Sept. However I just got my last map update from my XL Live map subscription so come the spring I'll probably give it a try on my iPhone 5s.

Regarding data usage is it possible to stop the iPhone trying to download a 400MB map update via mobile data whilst still enabling the use of live services traffic?
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLee wrote:

Regarding data usage is it possible to stop the iPhone trying to download a 400MB map update via mobile data whilst still enabling the use of live services traffic?

There is a setting in IOS that you can activate that stops the device updating any of the apps until connected to wifi.
JLee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="adobbing"]
JLee wrote:

Yes I'm aware of that but thats not what I asked
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what did you ask then?
Are the maps not an app update and live services ordinary data? Surely the mechanism for both is different.
If the previous answer does not answer the question that you asked, perhaps you could re-word your question in order to elicit the correct answer.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: