Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Brian Hampton sentence appeal
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Brian Hampton sentence appeal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Brian Hampton sentence appeal Reply with quote

Totally not GPS related but I've just seen something on Facebook.

A young woman on a moped was killed in a hit an run collision with a Volvo XC40 vehicle. The Driver was eventually traced Brian Hampton, driving whilst disqualified for a drink drive offence. He took his vehicle to be repaired and lied to many people about how the damage occurred.

He got a six year sentence which he is now appealing two for causing death by careless driving and 4 for perverting the course of justice.

More information on the BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24668408

There is an e petition to reject the appear and increase is jail term here http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/56314

Please sign the petition someone who has such a disregard for other people should have no right to appear what I would consider to be quite a lenient sentence (Thought I have no doubt was within the guidance given to the courts)
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done!
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two points come to mind...

1. It is a feature of the British justice system that anyone found guilty of a crime has a right to appeal in certain circumstances. If this man is guilty of the stated crime, and if the appeal judge considers that the original sentence was appropriate, then it will stand. I for one wouldn't want to change one of the bastions of the British justice system for a crime that, while clearly distressing for the family & friends of this young girl, is relatively insignificant in British criminal history.

2. This petition is being presented to the Ministry of Justice. I assume the case will be heard by the Court of Appeal, who will determine the appropriate sentence based on a series of rules according to the severity of the crime, whether the offender pleaded guilty, and whether he has shown any remorse (among other things). So, this petition is directed at the wrong people, and the courts are never swayed by public opinion. The likelihood of this petition having any effect on the court's decision is absolutely nil. Its existence just shows a lack of understanding of both the legal system and the use of the repetitions facility.

I won't be signing it - there is no point.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: