Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New model
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New model
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WalkerDan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All very strange and it appears we are now being offered some sort of upgrade for our Satmap 10's. Lots going on with the Satmap website but the Satmap 12 or should it be Satmap 14 is conspicuous by it's absence.
Mountain_Stu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, some very cool features there.

Last edited by Mountain_Stu on Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
WalkerDan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks pretty cool to me. I reckon you've just killed off sales of the Active 12 in one fell swoop. Embarassed Ah a neat change of post Mountain Stu. It's sure to confuse any future viewers of this thread. I assume you have some inside knowledge Embarassed
SmellyBoots
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WalkerDan wrote:
All very strange and it appears we are now being offered some sort of upgrade for our Satmap 10's

Can't see what you're referring to. True...map prices have been "slashed" (and I feel really sorry for the guy on Ebay who is trying to sell a full 25k GB map for a starting price of £600. He says he bought it for over £1500 and has used it a couple of times). The 1.525 software upgrade is nearly 2 years old now.

What's new??
stevesimler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: New model Reply with quote

Will Satmap start actually selling the Active 12 from their home site? Why is it only available from other outlets (aboveandbeyond). Does this mean they lack confidence in their own product?
SmellyBoots
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only available to pre-order...it's the small print as ever!! While I guess they will have confidence, given the apparent delay, one wonders whether there are teething issues that they are having to sort out.
stevesimler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmellyBoots wrote:
Only available to pre-order...it's the small print as ever!! While I guess they will have confidence, given the apparent delay, one wonders whether there are teething issues that they are having to sort out.

I think most of Satmap's teething issues were with the release of the Active 10. I have broken two joystick buttons and 2 usb flaps. It seems by the posts that neither have been upgraded. For myself, I have been very happy with my Satmap, apart from the minor issues I have mentioned, and since I upgraded from Memory Map, I have not looked back. I suppose I was expecting a more dynamic upgrade as in an improved joystick and the abilty to connect wirelessly to my PC. Still, one can only dream!
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think most of Satmap's teething issues were with the release of the Active 10. I have broken two joystick buttons and 2 usb flaps. It seems by the posts that neither have been upgraded. For myself, I have been very happy with my Satmap, apart from the minor issues I have mentioned, and since I upgraded from Memory Map, I have not looked back. I suppose I was expecting a more dynamic upgrade as in an improved joystick and the abilty to connect wirelessly to my PC. Still, one can only dream!

I have to agree with you here. I can see nothing to make me, a long term user of the A10, want to upgrade to the A12. After the number of years that have passed since the A10 came out (and got it's software sorted) I really expected to see some significant improvements using modern technology. All this seems to have done is reissue the A10 with some fancy orange buttons. Not much else to go for it (the improved map resolution should have been sorted years ago).
Xcell1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that Satmap seem to think that Facebook is the only way to comunicate to their users, here is the latest on when the active 12 will be out,
Podraig Taylor
Had an Active 12 on order from Cotswolds but I've been informed that the earliest I can now expect delivery is March 2014.
25 November 2013 at 18:26
Satmap Systems Ltd
Hi,
Unfortunately there was a small issue with the Bluetooth module.
The developers are working frantically to get it resolved.
Kind Regards
Satmap Team
26 November 2013 at 01:41..

I would also still like to know if I bought a Platinum map today would it have the required resolution to work on the 12 or are there going to be 10 maps and 12 maps?
SmellyBoots
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xcell1 wrote:
I would also still like to know if I bought a Platinum map today would it have the required resolution to work on the 12 or are there going to be 10 maps and 12 maps?

The short answer is yes and yes. I was speaking to a techie just before Xmas as I had to send my Active10 in for a repair (broken button and bloody USB door...again) and he told me this. Existing maps will work on the 12 and will look better simply as a result of the 12's higher screen resolution. The best resolution will be achieved by using the new High Definition (HD) maps on the 12.

I imagine knowing the pixels per inch someone more technically minded than me could actually calculate the improvement. So, for example, if existing maps on a 10 = 1 then existing maps on a new 12 will be 5x better (say) and HD maps on a 12 will 6.5 better or whatever. To see what it might look like any decent smartphone running Google maps has always had better screen resolution than an Active 10.

As others have said I guess the main improvement for existing users will be the much improved screen resolution. Personally I will now wait for the model that's waterproof out of the box and has the USB door issue fixed. That'll be the SatMap Active 16 then.....Unless another button falls off in which case I'll have a look on Ebay.
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got an email about new Active 12 -

Active 12

High Res maps
smashing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.satmap.co.uk/news.php now links to a press release dated 1st March 2014 titled 'Satmap Launches Active 12' but has no details of prices or when you might actually be able to buy it. I usually get such info in their e-mails but not on this occasion.

Most of the new features are a bit wasted on me but do hope the screen is as good in bright sunlight as Garmin's are.

A link to the full press release

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/sh/etqo8babx5fnqzo/tPYG7hlk45/Press%20Release/Press%20Release_Active12%20UK.pdf?dl=1&token_hash=AAE-SIwAI1XpbM-FkADHvbOy7rxxzkuFKDWpg4ZvqKe3kA
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through sheer bad luck, my trusty Active 10 finally kicked the bucket whilst in particularly foul weather in The Lakes a few weeks ago (I dropped it onto a rock, and the display stopped working). Now I know I could have paid for a full service and had the screen replaced, but I was curious about the new Active 12, so decided to order one....
It arrived yesterday. I've unpacked it and set it up this morning, and here are a few initial observations:

-SHOCK! HORROR! The screen area is actually SMALLER than the Active 10's- it's the same height, but it's narrower, so the overall effect is less square (and I liked the fact that the A10's screen was squarer than it's rivals - it looked more like a paper map that way)

- At the same brightness setting (I use 90%), the A12 is MUCH brighter than the A10 (which is good)

- With the 1:25K High-Res map card, the detail on screen IS finer, but it's not as big a difference as I had expected; certainly not as "high-res" as Anquet on an iPad mini retina, for example (a set-up that one of my walking buddies uses instead of his Active 10 these days)

- The processor inside the A12 is certainly faster than the A10, but again, some things still aren't instant: registering a full-UK HR map card still takes a while, and building map tiles on screen after it's loaded still isn't instant. However, overall, navigating menus and settings feels much snappier than the A10

- The barometer settings seem simple enough to set-up, with either auto-calibration at a selected time interval from map or GPS elevation data, or by manually entering your current elevation.

- As I don't use a heart rate monitor or cadence sensor, I was hoping that I might be able to use bluetooth for file transfer between the A12 and my iMac (especially since SatSync for Mac doesn't work with OS X Mavericks). I can't. Neither piece of kit sees the other over bluetooth. I realise this is very early days, and this functionality may come later.

- There is a noticeable delay before the screen comes on after pressing a key in screen-off mode. I know it's not a big deal, but it is a minor niggle. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

- I don't know whether the GPS/Antenna components have changed in the A12, but this one finds more satellites and locks onto them inside a building much faster than my A10 ever did (and I didn't ever consider the A10's performance to be poor)

To summarise, the Active 12 appears to be a more capable device than the Active 10: it's faster, brighter, higher res-screen (albeit slightly smaller than the A10) with a few new bells and whistles (bluetooth, barometer).
BUT... I'm not convinced that it's sufficiently better than the A10 to justify the expense of upgrading unit and maps to HR versions if you already have a functioning A10 and map library!

***UPDATE***

There is also currently a glitch with the electronic compass calibration. I've been in touch with SatMap this afternoon and they've told me that they are aware of it and are working on a software update to address the problem.

Last edited by lucevans on Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
SmellyBoots
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Lucevans pioneering the Active 12 we can all sleep soundly at night in the knowledge that we're not really missing out in so far as the essentials are concerned. I had assumed that the reason the screen protector wouldn't fit the new model was due to an increase in screen size. The fact that the new screen is smaller is really surprising. But I'm glad it's out at long last so that the Satmap techies can get on and deliver the long-promised improvements to Xpedition.
WalkerDan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a look at Active 12 in Cotswold shop and can only agree with Lucevan's comments. To me the screen looked noticeably narrower although much clearer. The main issues highlighted on this site over the years don't appear to have been addressed, namely, battery connection terminal, buttons, usb cover and a fairly hopeless proximity alarm (silent except to dogs I reckon).
As someone with many years of marketing experience it seems to me the most half cocked product launch/relaunch I've ever seen.
In summary, I think the Satmap 10 is a great product with a few flaws. This is basically a bit of an update which doesn't address the issues users have raised. If I broke my Satmap 10 tomorrow would I buy one of these, probably Yes, but had hoped for better.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: