Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ROUTE 66 launches their latest navigation app
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ROUTE 66 launches their latest navigation app

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: ROUTE 66 launches their latest navigation app Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
ROUTE 66 have announced the of their Navigate 6 app, available for Android and, for the first time, iPhone.

Highlights in a long list of features include a weather overlay, 3D buildings, crystal clear turn instructions, e.g. "After 300 yards, turn right onto the A3 towards Basingstoke, and ROUTE 66's unique ' Follow Me' feature.

ROUTE 66 Navigate 6 is available as free download via Google Play and Apple App Store and comes with a free 30-day worldwide trial of Navigation and free access to premium services such as Traffic information and Speed cameras. At the end of the trial a perpetual licence can be purchased for Europe at EUR 19.99.

Source: 66.com

email icon

Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The YouTube video is impressive but with the recent discussion about the sat-nav obstructing vision is that an optical illusion because it looks massive?
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also watched the video on YouTube and it struck me as a pointless gimmick... and a horrible distraction Confused
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow me looks exceedingly dangerous. Almost hypnotic. The right hand column of your newsletter will need to be expanded to include all of the stories about drivers "just following" the car in front - into a stationary truck, new roadworks, through a stop light. [THE FOLLOWING SENTENCE HAS BEEN SHOWN TO BE FALSE BUT LEFT IN TO PRESERVE THE SENSE OF THE FOLLWOING COMMENTS: If an American was able to sue an RV manufacturer because cruise control still meant he had to steer and brake, ] wait for the floodgates to open.

On the Web site I notice that when describing the pedestrian options, it says navigation is a premium service. Eh?

Your comment about the cost being for a lifetime licence only covers the basic system. Everything else is a premium in - app purchase. Without downloading the app, I cannot find how much how often.

Sadly it seems most navigation systems now use TomTom maps (slow to update) and Google POI (rarely in the correct place).
Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Nexus 5, Galaxy tab S3. Also use OSMAnd+, Sygic Mobile Maps, and OS maps app. Also "Great Britain Topo Maps" and "Old Maps". Don't use speed camera database as sticking to the limit is safer.

Last edited by Fellwalker on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grimster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legend. No RV manufacturers were harmed in the making of that story.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/cruise.asp

It's even on Winnebago's contact site:

http://www.winnebagoind.com/contact/

Funny how stuff like that becomes fact the more it's retold.
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Questions, questions... being a gadget geek, I've been tempted by the follow-me gimmick before, but played safe.

Distraction bit doesn't worry me, but battery life does. I assume the phone's front camera has to be on all the time for the reality imaging to work. And phone will have to be placed so it can 'see' out front. (My satvnav phone uses one of those cd slot clip things below windscreen level).

Then, who is 66's map provider? How often updated? At what cost? Who provides 'live traffic'? Annual fees for premium services?

Me reckons it needs an in-depth review!

Samsung Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tablet S, TomTom. Osmand+ and Sygic. Ex-TomTom Go 1000 Live, ex-TomTom Go 700, ex-TomTom truck, ex Navman/Ipaq
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimster wrote:
Legend. No RV manufacturers were harmed in the making of that story.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/cruise.asp

It's even on Winnebago's contact site:

http://www.winnebagoind.com/contact/

Funny how stuff like that becomes fact the more it's retold.
Thank goodness for that - can't believe everything you read in the Telegraph and the Guardian. I'd thought they were more reliable. Ah well, thanks for putting me right.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Nexus 5, Galaxy tab S3. Also use OSMAnd+, Sygic Mobile Maps, and OS maps app. Also "Great Britain Topo Maps" and "Old Maps". Don't use speed camera database as sticking to the limit is safer.
Tobas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got an iphone, try it for free. The Apps free and you buy content in app. Maps available by region or country and are perpetual however I read somewhere that may only be 2 years. Traffic and speed cameras are annual licences again by region or country. Best of all, when you install the app you can have 30 days free worldwide maps, traffic and speed cameras.

At first I wasn't impressed at all and posted such on facebook. I tried it again on a longer journey and I was impressed. Traffic seems spot on and forgetting follow-me, the display is excellent. Don't, like me, think its 2D, it improves with speed Smile I think I've tried most satnav apps now. Tomtom's good but I had a run-in with their appalling customer service so they can swivel. Sygic, clunky display every few minutes while it updates traffic. Waze, great if you've got a mobile signal. CoPilot, poor traffic and some weird routing. Navigon, cool display and fancy features but another one with poor traffic. I even tried Bosch's app but gave up in the early days when they finally admitted their traffic server wasn't ready, despite selling a traffic service.

Route 66's searches are good, it finds the closest of what I'm looking for straight away. I've no idea what background engines it uses for searching, traffic, weather, etc but I'd say try it all for free for 30 days.
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobas wrote:

...on a longer journey and I was impressed. Traffic seems spot on and forgetting follow-me, the display is excellent. Don't, like me, think its 2D, it improves with speed Smile I think I've tried most satnav apps now .....

Thanks Tobas. I found interesting your run-down on experiences with a lot of the major players.

Samsung Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tablet S, TomTom. Osmand+ and Sygic. Ex-TomTom Go 1000 Live, ex-TomTom Go 700, ex-TomTom truck, ex Navman/Ipaq
Tobas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navtrav wrote:
Tobas wrote:

...on a longer journey and I was impressed. Traffic seems spot on and forgetting follow-me, the display is excellent. Don't, like me, think its 2D, it improves with speed Smile I think I've tried most satnav apps now .....

Thanks Tobas. I found interesting your run-down on experiences with a lot of the major players.

Not quite as complete as PGPS's own satnav comparison pages but those are the reasons I've stopped using them Laughing At the moment, I'll give Route66 the chance of it's 30 day free trial to see how good it is but I'll always leave Waze installed, you never know!
Loobyloo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobas comments are pretty accurate. My own experience of Navigate 6 is that it has nice map rendering and the routing engine is excellent reminding me of Mapopolis. The UI could be better. I have seen complaints that you need an internet connection for searching destinations maybe this is to stop it being hacked. I have also seen complaints that after you purchase the one year licence it is difficult to cancel. The Business model of the company seems to have improved a great deal. Overall it's good but Igo Primo it is not, that is in a different league to anything else... Smile
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loobyloo wrote:

My own experience of Navigate 6
... it's good but Igo Primo it is not, that is in a different league to anything else... Smile

Navigate 6? Is that Route66? As for Igo Primo... unobtainable for a lot of folk as frustratingly it's not a downloadable app.

Tobas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigate 6 is by Route66. I've read the App Store description of igo primo Europe and traffic isn't listed for the uk. The uk version doesn't list traffic as built in or optional. Non-starter for me as an iphone user. I need satnav that can take me over the Pennines as hassle free as possible so that means decent traffic knowledge.

I also commute Morecambe-Lancaster which can be painful. So far only Sygic and now N6 know about very local traffic. I assume though that if Sygic know then TomTom would.
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobas wrote:

So far only Sygic and now N6 know about very local traffic. I assume though that if Sygic know then TomTom would.

Yes, Sygic uses TomTom data, which I've found to be very good for traffic around Reading and London. But with one exception. While it seems to be up-to-the-minute with vehicle movements, TomTom utterly fails with road closures.

An important rat-run near me (which obviously TomTom wants me to take when heading west) has been closed for a month for bridge repairs. As it happens, when the Thames floods, the road also gets shut off. But not once has this registered with TomTom. It always wants me to go by this route whatever. And it's quite some detour to find another way.

Tobas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The licence can be transferred across mobile platforms Very Happy

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=606624#606624

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: