Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hello, Just sneaking into the Garmin Forum - Left TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello, Just sneaking into the Garmin Forum - Left TomTom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldie70 wrote:
Personally, I'd have said ".........unless it is to make a point. It also makes the thread more difficult to read."
That's the one. Nice full stop there Very Happy I to have not got the hang of test editing on my Android tablet or phone. Can be a right pain, so I generally leave my idle thoughts until I fire up my lappy or desktop. Makes typing and editing soooo much easier.
oldie70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So would I normally, but at the time I wasn't sure whether my map update was ever going to finish. I wasn't even sure it had actually started!

Anyway, I'd still like to do a backup. However, when I look at my unit in Explorer, I can't see where the large files are. Even with folder options set to "show hidden files".

Total capacity is shown as 3.57 GB, but only 485MB is in use. None of the folders show any large files, most are well under a MB, with a handful up tp 3MB.

I've now used copy/paste to make a backup in 'my documents'. Properties for this shows 2816 files, 88 folders, size 477MB , 485 on disk. There are clearly files which "show hidden files" doesn't reveal.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to reveal system files as well

Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldie70 wrote:
So would I normally, but at the time I wasn't sure whether my map update was ever going to finish. I wasn't even sure it had actually started!

Anyway, I'd still like to do a backup. However, when I look at my unit in Explorer, I can't see where the large files are. Even with folder options set to "show hidden files".

Total capacity is shown as 3.57 GB, but only 485MB is in use. None of the folders show any large files, most are well under a MB, with a handful up tp 3MB.

I've now used copy/paste to make a backup in 'my documents'. Properties for this shows 2816 files, 88 folders, size 477MB , 485 on disk. There are clearly files which "show hidden files" doesn't reveal.

As well as 'Hidden Files' you also need to show 'Protected System Files' as well.

When you've got it correct use the 'Properties' function to ensure the size on device is the same as the size of your backup folder.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
oldie70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I hadn't realised that there were protected files as well as hidden ones.

Unticking that, Explorer revealed another folder - System, full of .IMG files, and consisting of 71 files, 42 folders and taking up 438MB.

So that's my backup taken care of.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent stuff :D

You can now carefully prune back the unwanted other language files that take up quite a bit of space knowing you can put them back if needed.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And all the unwanted EULA, help, text, keyboard and vehicle files Very Happy
oldie70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean prune them from the device? Is there any point, since only 500MB out of 3.5GB is occupied?

EDIT : On reflection, it does make sense to prune the backup, both to save time in running MSE and Malwarebytes, and to cut down the time backing up the backup to iDrive.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always prune the device and keep the back up as 'original', but that's just me Wink

Obviously all this depends on what you have loaded. The full EU map is well over 3 Gb so a prune would be useful, with only the UK map probably no need Smile
oldie70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just UK and ROI this time - I haven't driven in Europe since I gave up smoking six years ago .

And, just on general principles, I don't like mucking around with anything on the device. So with the small amount in use - about 15% - I'll leave it as it is. Smile
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

First of all thanks to Flashyphotos for starting this thread, to oldie70 for additional questions, and to everybody else for their replies.

I too am thinking of abandoning TomTom, when my trusty 950 LIVE dies. I have used TomTom products since May 2003, i.e. TT Navigator 2 for PocketPC). Having been a TomTom advocate for over 10 years I feel let down by TomTom as they do not listen to what their customers want. TomTom add useful features in their models and the later models have those useful features removed. I consider my TomTom 950 LIVE to be the last model that has all of the features that I need.

/TomTom rant Wink

I'd like to ask a few questions:

What is the Garmin Traffic like for accuracy, and how does it work in the UK, i.e. is it RDS based or other?

What is the re-routing like on Garmin units? I.e. with a TomTom if you decide to deviate from the calculated route the TomTom will recalculate a new route (usually) without telling you to go back, unlike older versions of CoPilot.

If I buy something, I prefer to buy the top end of the range as you normally get the most features in the top end, what are the current top end of the range Garmin units?

I occasionally tow trailers (my father tows a caravan) are the Garmin units that are for towing any good? Do they route especially for vehicles towing?

Never having used a Garmin, how easy is it for a TomTom user to switch over to Garmin?

Are there any things that Garmin units can't do that (older) TomTom units can do?

thanks,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having never owned a TomTom I can't help with some of those, but as a Garmin user of many years, both satnavs and handhelds, here's my take on the ones I can:

1. There are 3 types of Garmin traffic, see here http://www.garmin.com/uk/traffic

I've used the standard Lifetime traffic (which I found acceptable) and now on my latest Garmin their Digital traffic, which so far has proved excellent, even picking up stuff like slow moving traffic causing minimal delays.

2. Garmin will recalculate if you go off route, without telling you, at least on the current models. My older 1490 announces 'recalculating', something many users objected to hence why Garmin removed it. Personally it never bothered me.

Hopefully someone who has owned both TT and Garmin may help with the others.

Perhaps if there are some things that are essential to you you could post them?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the traffic via Android SmartLink.

If you plot a route* then a right hand 'panel' opens up and shows a pseudo stretch of road that is your journey from start to finish.

On this stretch of road display are yellow and or red sections that indicate current traffic issues. This display also shows the nearest jam and the estimated delay.
So far I'm finding it quite accurate being as these updates are every 2 minutes instead of my built in TMC RDS that only updates every 15 minutes.
If there are no delays then the 'road' goes and you just get a 'No Delay' message.

*Now that I've used my unit for some weeks it has learned my most frequent journey from home to work and vice-versa. As a result I no longer have to 'set' the route as it guesses I'm going to work, or home, and shows any traffic delays for the entire route.
This has the bonus that I don't get the verbal route directions that I don't need because I know the journey inside out, so I just get the camera warnings.

proper job :D
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved from my old tomtom go to the top of the range garmin 3598.

RDS traffic works fine, but I am quite close to the transmitters, can't say how good it will be in the sticks. However the 3598 often has the 'grey screen' when parts of the map are just grey. This seems to coincide with traffic updates, I guess the processor cannot handle the load. Most times the map comes back, but not always.

Tomtom remembers what direction you were facing when parked and plans the new route from here, garmin does not. This is not helpful. When planning a new route you are told 'drive to start' which could mean doing a u turn or driving round the block, which you have to work out yourself.

My tomtom is set to ask what type of route planning, fasted, quickest, avoid motorways, limited speed, bike, walking etc. When towing I select limited speed, if I fancy a scenic route rather than motorways, I select 'shortest' This feature is not available in the garmin. It will give different route options but does not say what they are. It is a pain not having a walking route. Have garmin never worked in a city. Quite often I have to park some distance and complete the final part on foot. Fine with tomtom, not available on garmin.

Also tomtom warns of toll roads & gives the option to avoid. garmin does not seem to have this option. Not good if your company policy is not to use toll roads & will not reimburse charges.

I decided to move to garmin due to lifetime maps (tomtom now do this, but after I had decided on the garmin so could not be bothered to re-research) and the lack of users POIs functionality on the new tomtoms, I use custom POIs all day so need this feature.

POI handling on the garmin is a pain, compared with the tomtom go. It is all or nothing, display ALL custom POIs or none. garmin also add their own POIs, of which some are on the screen and cannot be removed (without turning off ALL POIs). The ones thad display are cash points, fuel & all restaurants, i.e a chippy and 4 star restaurant. Not useful. The latest map now also displays MacDonald's with it's own little icon. I guess garmin is being paid to do this. As a veggie, why would I want this? garmin have not commented.

I cannot comment on the new tomtoms as I have not played with them but would love the opportunity to do a side by side comparison.

pays your money & takes your choice.....
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin routing does give the option to 'avoid tolls' should you so wish Wink

The problem with the gray screen on the 35xx series has been acknowledged by Garmin and a fix should be out shortly. Some users point to it being paired to a phone and using the smartphone link, but whatever the cause it must be annoying. It doesn't happen on the 24x7/8 or 25x7/8 as far as I'm aware.

None of your other points are an issue for me, otherwise I might consider a TomTom Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: