Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New model
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New model
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPSwalker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Active 12 is in the Cotswold Outdoor autumn/winter 2013 catalogue just got in post.

As seen elsewhere it has all orange buttons. The new barometric altimeter is described as exceptionally accurate. Also comes with Bluetooth and all new high res screen. It seems to suggest that high res maps are required. I take it this means to get the best from the screen and hope that low res maps would still work in it despite appearing the same as on an A10? Otherwise, buying one is not realistic for me until I have to replace it.

I'm sure Satmap will be making an announcement by this weekend.
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If hi-res map cards are going to be sold for use with the Active 12, I hope Satmap have got a reasonable upgrade deal in the pipeline for those of us with a lot of expensive mapping in the original format.... otherwise there will be a lot of existing users whose noses are going to be sorely out of joint over this (most of whom, I suspect, will not buy the new device for bluetooth and barometer alone)
WalkerDan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Lucevans on this. I was thinking about getting a Satmap 12 and keeping my old Satmap 10 as a "spare" and to probably put on my bike and use the new one for walking trips. Having spent £500 plus on maps no way will I be upgrading the maps if that is what is required. Love the Satmap despite some of its shortcomings which don't appear (hope I'm wrong) to have been addressed with the new one. Might have to start looking elsewhere for my next one and watch out e.bay for a load of Satmap maps.
Jospee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-news/satmaps-new-active-12-gps-unit/11418.html

Looks like the same buttons, same usb cover and no mention of it being waterproof - why bother upgrading - bluetooth? Think Ill keep the A10.
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Satmap have announced the Active 12 to the trade, but not consumers:
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-news/satmaps-new-active-12-gps-unit/11418.html

Bad news is.... It sounds as if new mapping *is* required to make use of that lovely new screen. I wonder whether it is backwards compatible with old map cards, and if so, whether they will look any different than on the Active 10.
Mountain_Stu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering Satmap have had several years to develop the Active12 (i.e. since the launch of the Active10) this looks like a very disappointing attempt. Compared to the rich functionality offered by alternative GPS devices on the market, I am not sure how Satmap can justify the extra couple of hundred for Bluetooth connectivity, high-resolution screen and orange buttons. A pointless upgrade!!!
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would you like them to have done?

Although it has been out for some time. I still find the A10 does a good job I cannot come up with a great list of things I would like to see changed/improved.

As for the orange buttons, well I am not fan but they must want some obvious way to show the difference between the old and new device and orange buttons does not seem bad.
Satsync 1.525
Rogerfrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tweet received today-

@satmapGPS: Team Satmap out testing the new A12 prototype at Holmbury St Mary in the Surrey Hills yesterday. A great 40km... http://t.co/7AcxUutd0h

HTH
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Maps. Reply with quote

According to their Facebook page....todays maps can still be used, however I guess that a High Definition offer will be coming along...I have over £1500 + worth...to send that lot in to be upgraded...if that is what they will offer, will probably mean another mortgage.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Battery Reply with quote

And I mean't to add....the battery....still the same flimsy connections ?
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: A12 Reply with quote

I don't really see this as an upgrade; how many people will buy one just because it is a newer version (iPhone owners excepted)?
If you are starting from scratch, then it seems a relatively small premium over the A10 to get better features, but I certainly won't be thinking of ditching my A10 for the A12, much as I like the idea of the higher resolution.
As has been said, it is not just the cost of the new device, it is replacing all the map cards to get the benefit that will be the most significant cost.

Satmap have a large and very loyal customer base but they seem to have forgotten them over the last year or two. They were streets ahead of Garmin and others when the A10 first came out but that is no longer the case. Satmap really need to do something special to avoid being just another hand-held GPS with OS maps.

Now, if Satmap offered a device and maps upgrade bundle at a reasonable cost for their long-standing loyal customers...
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Discount ? Reply with quote

And where is likely to be the best discount ?
SmellyBoots
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new model is available to pre-order here:

https://www.aboveandbeyond.co.uk/.satmap-active-12-with-1-50k-full-gb-maps_satact12.htm

[/url]

The unit comes with a full GB 1:50k map but it's not clear whether the mapping is the new high res mapping or whether that is available later. Either way at that price I won't be rushing in...
outdoors
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Active 12 Reply with quote

I am new to the site and was waiting to get a good luck at the Active 12 before buying but some of the deals with Satmap at the moment seem to good to miss. £195 for a bike unit and then £64 for a 1 in 50 UK map. Any views on whether the 12 will be worth the extra?
smashing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone actually got their hands on an Active 12? The November release date has long passed as will the potential Christmas market. I wonder if there are problems or too many Active 10s still to be sold.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: