Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Such a thing as a simple gps logger ??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Such a thing as a simple gps logger ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loady
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Such a thing as a simple gps logger ?? Reply with quote

Hi, New to this forum so hi !!..looked around the net trying to find above and just happened on this forum and looked lively so i thought i would dip in and see.

I have a small fruit and veg distribution business and we have a really bad driver who also tells lies, i am looking for a cheap way to see what route he is taking on his daily rounds as he is taking two hours longer than anyone else..i dont need a live system, i just want a small unit i can hide in the van and will log the route (and possibly times or time that he is static) then when he has gone home i want to be able to retrieve it and download the info to a pc that will show in detail on a map exactly which roads he has traversed....can anyone advise me on this ?..i can only seem to see expensive GPRS devices that do this, i could quite possibly be looking for it under the wrong name as i am not entirely sure what it would be called other than a gps logger.

TIA.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really my field, but you might have some luck if you do a search for "breadcrumbs" logging (either on this forum or the wider web).

I just tried it here and got several hits that might be useful.

One thing you need to think about is the problem of hiding a cheap unit somewhere that still has good clear view of the sky. More expensive units would have external aerials which you could position better.

Another thing to worry about is whether what you're considering is legal!
You might need to tell your employees (in general terms) if they are going to be monitored in this way? Don't just take my un-informed opinion on that, but do get it cleared up first.
loady
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply..as for the legality of it..im sure we could hedge around it...concerns for the driver if the vehicle was hi jacked..blah blah blah..during testing we just noticed your route..my god..if you saw the van you wouldnt believe it could have so many dents in it..none of them he knows how they happened !!!..he cant read a map and has to be shown how to get to new points..how the hell we ended up with him i really do not know..but thats another story.

Fitting an aerial would be an issue...i just really want a cheap overview really.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi loady,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

Hi technologically savvy is your driver?

You could provide him with a company smart phone (iPhone or Android) with CamerAlert to warn him if he exceeds the speed limit. CamerAlert has the facility to record tracks (i.e. UTC time, Speed (m/s), Heading, Latitude and Longitude).

Alternatively as you're finding dents in the van, buy a RoadHawk camera (or similar device) for less than £300 and then get it wired into your van's electrics and tell the driver not to fiddle with it as it is there for their safety. Put a decent SD card in it (i.e. 32 or 64GB). If your van is involved in an accident then you have video evidence. However you will have to sit through the video as I don't think that you can extract the track (i.e. whole day's route).

You could also have a look at:

OnTrak PLUS Vehicle Tracking System

WorldTracker Data Logger

WorldTracker GPRS

WorldTracker SMS

As has already been said, ensure that you can legally do this (i.e. it's in your employee's contract that they my be monitored or tracked). Please take legal advice before doing so.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have put trackers in company vans, it helps us to prove that the vans are not being used privately which can incur a tax charge for the employee. It might also reduce insurance premiums. We also use the system to let customers know how long it was likely to be before a van arrives at their premises and to provide evidence of arrival/leaving times if a customer queries a bill. There are lots of valid reasons for fitting them, some of which must apply to you. Smile

We told employees that they were being fitted, that they recorded tracks, speeds relative to map speeds and location (we want our employees to be safe). We used "ring fences" around locations where vans where supposed to be at particular times so that we could be alerted to unexepected movements (e.g. theft of vans at night from our yard).

All was done openly with the "agreement" of the employees (we presented so many good reasons for fitting them that the employees couldn't really argue with it without sugesting that they had something to hide). The systems were fitted to all vans.

Done this way it changes employee behaviour (which is presumably your aim) without need for secrecy and disciplinary action.

We did take legal advice before fitting them as others have suggested.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty around.

I have an iPhone as does my wife. They are on the same Apple ID. Using the app "Find my iPhone" I can see when she is and she can see where I am. Smile

It doesn't track though. You h.ave to "keep looking"

I'm retired now, but when at work we had live tracking in all our vehicles and you could look at anytime to see where someone was. Or download the data later.

Camera alert would do it with a smart phone.

The one that I looked at which was permanently fitted to the vehicle and was hidden was Zoombak. Uses the normal phone SIM technology.

http://www.zoombak.com
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget Zoombak if you're in the UK. They have pulled out of the market.....
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty cheap ones on fleabay, generally Chinese but the one I purchased worked quite happily in the glovebox and records at setable intervals and can be shown on google maps it also shows the speed over the journey via a timeline, interfaces over usb and the internal rechargeable battery is supposed to last about 10 hrs, if I remember it cost abot £29 unfortunately cannot remember name. it would certainly meet your requirents.
Add: it can also be set to record only when moving. and fits on keyring so small, if you pm me with addy I will email data sheet.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick search shows this one on Amazon , this one doesn't have positive comments and wouldn't recommend, looks like doesn't have rechargeable battery but does give a flavour of whats available and more shown by scrolling down page
Code:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/GPS-Dongle-Logger-Receiver-Integration/dp/B002HS10FW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372375124&sr=8-1&keywords=keyring+gps+data+logger

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: