Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Anyone have a view about this?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone have a view about this?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Anyone have a view about this? Reply with quote

As above:-

http://www.the-electronics-genie.co.uk/geniestore/index.php/gps-sat-nav/car-portable-gps-sat-nav/1-din-7-inch-touchscreen-detachable-front-car-dvd-player-with-fm-radio-tv-3d-gps-bluetooth-mic-rear-camera-comp-usb-sd-4-x-50w.html

Is this a good buy?

Tony
briwy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so, primarily because the TV is only analogue which is no use now in the UK.
The navigation software says its a trial so you may have to end up paying for it when the trial ends.
There are plenty of these units around with digital TV and free navigation software.
We have had a couple, got one now in our camper van and it works well. It's not state of the art and some of the graphics are a bit clunky but everything works. The one we have is an Erisin unit bought off ebay. It uses Igo satnav which personally I love.
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

briway,

Thanks for the reaction.

What worries me about these devices is the price. The one I have picked is showing around £300. There are similar looking machines on eBay for half.

It is going to cost me £300 to pay someone to fit it. Money wasted if it is unreliable.

What appeals is that it will work as a radio, as a pickup for my Sony MP3 player and it will replace my Garmin Nuvi that sits on a rather tacky support with wires coming in all directions.

This is where it would go.

I picked this device as the display goes downwards rather than above the din slot and thus hides fewer of the instruments.

I worry aboiut the reliability of the machine. I wonder about the retailer who has said he would phone me today and has not. Indeed yesterday he wondered whether he had one in stock. Odd ?

You folk know much more about these machines than I do. How can they sell them at this price?

Tony

AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from other post--

I have no knowledge of either device so can't say Yay or Nay but combining briwy's reply with your need for a single DIN with drop down screen, how about this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ERISIN-ES1046B-7-HD-CAR-DVD-PLAYER-GPS-3G-WIFI-BLUETOOTH-USB-SD-IPOD-RDS-TV-BMW-/160990670298?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item257bcaadda

Although it still has Analogue TV, it's in stock, cheaper and, dare I say it, prettier.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
cjay2412
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see that underneath the radio is a cassette holder would it be possible to cut this out and be able to fit a double din unit. the screen then wouldn't block some of your instruments
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I wonder if it is intended for a BMW matters? I'll ask them.

The other worry I would have would be if it didn't work. The guy I discovered is in Teeside - this one is coming from the Far East.

Finally, the T E G one had a detachable screen so it looks less tempting when the car is parked.

But thanks anyway for getting the conversation going again.

Tony
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjay2412 wrote:
i see that underneath the radio is a cassette holder would it be possible to cut this out and be able to fit a double din unit. the screen then wouldn't block some of your instruments

Very Happy
Doh! I thought that they were air vents. Embarassed

Double DIN is the way forward, you'll have so many more options.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj,

That area is a ventilator and not for casettes. However that is a brilliant suggestion.

The car goes in for an MOT and service on the 3rd June. I can ask then.

Thanks.

Tony
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we never use those air vents.

There are those round 'jobbies' on the main panel and they produce plenty of air. So getting rid of the ones you spotted would not worry me as long as it was possible.

Tony
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't touch Chinese 'knock offs' with a barge pole, seen too many complaints on various forums/reviews. A genuine BMW one though ... that should work Wink
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A genuine BMW one though ... that should work"

But it probably isn't ? If it is coming from "HK Japan".

You are right about the Chinese knock-offs. I have an Android cheapo and it is so clunky compared with my genuine Samsung.

I am not pushing anyone to endorse the one I spotted from T E G but another thing I liked was that it seemed, as it was Windows CE, that one could pick lots of different satnav alternatives depending on which seemed to be ahead of the pack at the time. They are loaded using a card slot:-
http://www.the-electronics-genie.co.uk/geniestore/index.php/catalog/product/gallery/id/158/image/760/

Considering it is going to cost quite a bit to install, especially if we convert the slot to a twin DIN there is no point in cutting corners on the device - so I am happy to buy a good well known make that is properly supported.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonygamble wrote:

I am not pushing anyone to endorse the one I spotted from T E G but another thing I liked was that it seemed, as it was Windows CE, that one could pick lots of different satnav alternatives depending on which seemed to be ahead of the pack at the time. They are loaded using a card slot:-
http://www.the-electronics-genie.co.uk/geniestore/index.php/catalog/product/gallery/id/158/image/760/

Call me a cynic but I'm dubious about that claim. AFAIK the big companies simply don't supply their firmware just to run on 'any CE platform'. Interesting that the pic shows a 2Gb card ... most maps alone these days are well above 2 Gb Wink
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" Call me a cynic Wink "

Never. That is why I am here. Because of you folk.

I have just been to measure the distance between the top of my existing radio and the bottom of those vents. It is around 10 cm. I need to do some googling to find out whether that would take a twin din.

As far as I can see the leather separating the radio and the vents will come out easily.

So maybe my question is as to what are the best two din radio/gps combos - with particular respect to updatability.

Tony
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonygamble wrote:
" ......So ....... what are the best two din radio/gps combos - with particular respect to updatability.Tony

The trouble is, and I'm talking out of the top of my hat here so very happy to be corrected by those more informed than I, is that the usual brands do not do a Double Din unit. If you want a double Din unit from a known brand you are probably looking at Sony, JVC, Kenwood, etc. However, from reading these forums over several years, I believe that these brands are not very user friendly when it comes to installing POI's and general functionality. You shall be paying a big premium for the privilege to boot.

Ideally, I would suggest that you look for a system that uses iGo as it's SatNav system. Unfortunately, iGo is not officially available on retail SatNAv's (I think) so you shall be forced to choose a unit sold from where they are not so sniffy about selling pirated software, this shall probably be Asia/The Far East. The downside of this it is that it can't be updated officially either.

I have a "normal" cheap, Chinese SatNav that works perfectly well and, in some respects, is better than my TomToms.

Not much help I know but maybe a little food for thought.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Not much help I know but maybe a little food for thought."

Certainly a help.

I know I keep going back to that T E G site but the single din device he was suggesting came with iGO.

He also has Android based devices. I have been exerimenting with an Android Samsung 7.7 which has Google Maps and also some software called OsmAmd+ that I have just loaded.

No way would I expect a passenger to tolerate this intrusion - but it worked fine this morning as a satnav issuing instructions.

I see little point in going for Android rather than Windows CE - but it shows the flexibility one has.

I am not sure how popular Sygic is but here is a mapping system for Europe

http://www.the-electronics-genie.co.uk/geniestore/index.php/gps-sat-nav/car-portable-gps-sat-nav/original-brand-sygic-gps-map-card-with-4gb-tf-card-for-wince-format-uk-western-europe-only-fully-upgradable-easy-install.html

My reading yesterday suggested that some of the big boys like TomTom and Route 66 also do software on RAR files suitable for Win CE

Lot's to learn.

Tony

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: