Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Go models launched
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Go models launched
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:

If you buy a device with a SIM, you purchase lifetime traffic as part of the initial cost, there is no subscription.

Unless I'm going mad, that's definitely not so!

Unless there is a special deal for lifetime maps and traffic in force, you get 1 year free LIVE services, after that you have to pay.
offthegrid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
If they are really offering the SIM included devices with lifetime traffic, then that solves that problem (though I'd still like the option!). But then I just fear for the bandwidth caps that we have now, and they'd have no way to get more money to invest in that...

With the SIM version there would still be a subscription charge for the TomTom data access only. They will charge something for that.

From your original question you seem to ask whether - IF one buys the 6000 which is the "sim version' would you still be able to use the smartphone to connect via bluetooth -

so in essence does the 6000 also contain the same connection capability of the 600?

If I have that right - good question!
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Makes total sense now. I hadn't realised how soon GPRS was being phased out in 'merica which is why I, and I assume JockTamsonsBairn, queried why you would need both.

MaFt
Yes!

Also I had taken

to mean "included, across the new range" rather than "on specific models, using your phone service"!

I think we'll have to wait for some further info from TomTom Sad

Andy_P wrote:
Unless there is a special deal for lifetime maps and traffic in force, you get 1 year free LIVE services, after that you have to pay.
The most recent "HDT" suffixed model(s) appear to include 3 years.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the press release to mean lifetime maps and lifetime traffic on all new Go models.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find it now because I'm incompetent, but "earlier" I found a statement from TomTom that HD Traffic is "lifetime free" on the always connected model. With a qualification that "lifetime" is defined as the life for which TT provide support - right now they don't support (the 700/720/730 etc I think), so if they had been getting free lifetime HD traffic, they wouldn't be getting it now (although I have no idea how TT could shut it off - probably again because I'm incompetent).

Note to self (and anybody else who cares). The GO500 is no longer the same as the GO500 we all bought in 2005!

I have to say I have been singularly unimpressed with this new models announcement. It smacks of smoke and mirrors or Somerset Mine Detectors. All I've personally seen is TT saying there are new models in the offing, but with no details of when, what they'll do and what they'll cost. The TT Forum is full of comments from the old favourite contributors (TT apologists!) about how we'll see all the goodies when they come out!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
lsainsbury
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's another point which (I don't think) anybody has mentioned yet...

OK - so these new TomTom devices connect to your mobile via Bluetooth to collect the traffic info from the GPRS/3G mobile network - yep I get that.

BUT what if you also have your phone connected via Bluetooth to a handsfree kit such as a Parrot? I think a mobile can only be paired to one active Bluetooth device at any one time. If that's the case, then that sucks.

Lee
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lsainsbury wrote:

OK - so these new TomTom devices connect to your mobile via Bluetooth to collect the traffic info from the GPRS/3G mobile network - yep I get that.

BUT what if you also have your phone connected via Bluetooth to a handsfree kit such as a Parrot? I think a mobile can only be paired to one active Bluetooth device at any one time. If that's the case, then that sucks.

Bluetooth is just a set of protocols and a radio frequency. There are many things that use bluetooth such as hands free kids, stereo audio output, keyboards etc. You can, if you want, use a bluetooth mouse and a bluetooth keyboard on your PC without needing 2 bluetooth dongles/cards. The same goes for smartphones - you can have a keyboard connected while using a hands free kit. The data connection is, again, a different 'part' of bluetooth so I doubt that this would be affected.

Lutz (lbendlin) will no doubt chip in with various bits of technobabble....

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a link to the supported bluetooth profiles on iOS: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3647

'HID' is what is used by BT keyboards.
'PAN' will be the profile used by the TomTom data connection
'HFP' and possibly 'PBAP' will be used by your handsfree carkit
'A2DP' will be used by your stereo if you're posh

MaFt
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, TT announcement includes (in small print at the bottom):

"Lifetime is the useful life of the device, so means the period of time that TomTom continues to support your device with software updates, services, content or accessories.
A device will have reached the end of its life when none of these are available any more."

So only when none of the above (TT's words) are available will 'Lifetime' be considered over.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. They seem to have varying descriptions for Legacy devices. This was the sort of thing I was thinking in relation to free lifetime HD Traffic etc.
Quote:
software updates, services, content or accessories.
A device will have reached the end of its life when none of these are available any more.

I find it difficult to understand. I'm pretty sure you can still get new maps for any device, or am I wrong? If you take "content" as including maps, that would mean everything is still entitled to "lifetime free"?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to find out about the life expectancy of GPRS. US cities look to have the biggest problem with AT&T. So far I've seen a range of dates for service reduction/closure in the UK from 2014 to 2020. I'd like to know what Tomtom are thinking?
Kia In-dash Tomtom

Last edited by Guivre46 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
offthegrid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
here's a link to the supported bluetooth profiles on iOS: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3647

'HID' is what is used by BT keyboards.
'PAN' will be the profile used by the TomTom data connection
'HFP' and possibly 'PBAP' will be used by your handsfree carkit
'A2DP' will be used by your stereo if you're posh

MaFt

A good, fairly new, bluetooth feature is MAP which if set up could have your TomTom read your phones text messages aloud. If TT supports that.
lsainsbury
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
lsainsbury wrote:

Bluetooth is just a set of protocols and a radio frequency. There are many things that use bluetooth such as hands free kids, stereo audio output, keyboards etc. You can, if you want, use a bluetooth mouse and a bluetooth keyboard on your PC without needing 2 bluetooth dongles/cards. The same goes for smartphones - you can have a keyboard connected while using a hands free kit. The data connection is, again, a different 'part' of bluetooth so I doubt that this would be affected.

Lutz (lbendlin) will no doubt chip in with various bits of technobabble....

MaFt

Ah - ok - thought you could only have one device paired at any one time. Not as bad as I first thought then!

Lee
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traffic by GPRS is a retrograde step back to when you could use Navigator on an iPaq etc. Its fine in the UK but costs an arm and a leg if you use it abroad as I found out when I got the bill. Surprised
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When are the new units expected to be on sale and how much?
Not seen any info on this any where.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: