Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Go models launched
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Go models launched
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
offthegrid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
I also mentioned to them that wifi would have been better than bluetooth as most smartphone 'mobile hotspot' features use wifi instead of bluetooth. It would also allow MiFi's to be used. A missed opportunity in my book.
[MaFt

The Garmin's that use a smartphone connection have a carrier approved app to set up the bluetooth connection so tethering is not an issue and these use minimal amounts of data. I agree about the mifi but some carriers charge extra for that also though there are workarounds.

Did you ask whether there would be an app or whether it would be on the user to set up a bluetooth connection and require tethering?

I'm also wondering did they specifically say GPRS? That's being phased out in the US pretty rapidly.

Thanks
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete1336 wrote:
JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
Is it "No custom POIs" or "No custom POIs YET"?

Am I misremembering that some previous models came to market without them and software updates added the feature?

I believe you are correct. I have the go 1005 and on initial launch I recall that did not support 3rd party poi's. It does now.

Some subtle differences here.....

At launch time the NAV3 models did not have the capability to add user-POI files, but you were still able to create POI categories on the device itself and then create individual POIs in those categories.

But on this new range, user-POIs don't exist at all (so far...)
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offthegrid wrote:
Did you ask whether there would be an app or whether it would be on the user to set up a bluetooth connection and require tethering?

There's no app. It uses the phone's own bluetooth data sharing set up.

offthegrid wrote:
I'm also wondering did they specifically say GPRS? That's being phased out in the US pretty rapidly.

Yes, I specifically asked if it was GPRS, EDGE or 3G and they said specifically it was GPRS. Are you the one who queried this with us on Twitter?

MaFt
MRCC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my 540 mainly for work - i have all my 300+ customer locations stored in a custom "Work" POI.

I was about to buy a Navigon 92 Premium Live last year but luckily noticed the manual i downloaded didn't mention how to create a new POI category. I queried this and discovered the only new POIs you could add were ones you had to pay for - so no customisable ones. Navigon UK told me that customisable POIs were going to be added as a future software update but to my knowledge that hasn't happened.

So i decided to stick with the 540 until the next suitable Garmin/Navigon or TT device came out. Looks like i've got to wait longer....

Another item to be added to the sticky "Some depressing lists - What's been dropped in new models"!
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRCC wrote:
I use my 540 mainly for work - i have all my 300+ customer locations stored in a custom "Work" POI.

I was about to buy a Navigon 92 Premium Live last year but luckily noticed the manual i downloaded didn't mention how to create a new POI category. I queried this and discovered the only new POIs you could add were ones you had to pay for - so no customisable ones. Navigon UK told me that customisable POIs were going to be added as a future software update but to my knowledge that hasn't happened.

So i decided to stick with the 540 until the next suitable Garmin/Navigon or TT device came out. Looks like i've got to wait longer....

Another item to be added to the sticky "Some jdepressing lists - What's been dropped in new models"!

Thats the same for me, nearly 1500 customers on mine.
Use poi every journey each day for work.
And what about the camera database from here?
offthegrid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that was me.

This is part of a letter that AT&T sent out to New York area customers last year.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/att-urges-customers-to-upgrade-from-2g-networks-2012-03-01

""Your current, older-model 2G phone might not be able to make or receive calls and you may experience degradation of your wireless service in certain areas," AT&T cautioned in the letter. An AT&T spokesman, Mark Siegel, said the carrier hoped to use some of the 2G spectrum for new technologies."

Some opinion on 2G from someone in the machine2machine market here:

http://www.telecompetitor.com/2g-spectrum-re-farming-poised-upheave-m2m/

“My belief is that by 2013 or mid-2014, 2G/GSM in major [U.S.] cities will be non-existent,” said Hosain. “If AT&T can get Verizon spectrum, that may delay it.”

MaFt wrote:
offthegrid wrote:

There's no app. It uses the phone's own bluetooth data sharing set up.

offthegrid wrote:

Yes, I specifically asked if it was GPRS, EDGE or 3G and they said specifically it was GPRS. Are you the one who queried this with us on Twitter?

MaFt
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever country you are in the story is the same.

GSM/GPRS frequencies are being reduced to make way for for 4G which is more efficient for data transmission and cheaper to maintain.

It is a fact that data has now overtaken voice in terms of revenue for mobile operators.

If you own a smartphone then it is less likely you will be using it for voice calls than catching up on ebay, Facebook, emails, news etc.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So devices that get traffic via a smart phone are more future proofed than the 'always connected' devices?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
So devices that get traffic via a smart phone are more future proofed than the 'always connected' devices?

Devices that have both, AND CAN SWITCH BETWEEN THEM, would be the best option. This is why I'd like to know if I buy one with SIM and then don't subscribe, can I use the bluetooth instead, and have the best of both worlds? It would be far too easy for them to say subscribe or nothing.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
Devices that have both, AND CAN SWITCH BETWEEN THEM, would be the best option. This is why I'd like to know if I buy one with SIM and then don't subscribe, can I use the bluetooth instead, and have the best of both worlds? It would be far too easy for them to say subscribe or nothing.
If the device has an inbuilt SIM, what is the advantage of switching to using your phone? Subscribe to what?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
matthewj wrote:
If the device has an inbuilt SIM, what is the advantage of switching to using your phone? Subscribe to what?

There could be two worthwhile reasons...

1 If GPRS is switched off, you can still have a working satnav with traffic Very Happy

2 Mobile phone coverage can vary considerably by operator - your own smartphone might have better coverage in a particular area than Vodafone (I assume Tomtom will still use them...)
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
matthewj wrote:

I have a lot of trouble explaining this don't I? My idea must be odd, but I'll try to explain.

I can buy a TomTom with a built in SIM which allows it to connect to the HD Traffic servers. To have that work, I have to pay money to TomTom because they have to pay to the service provider. That subscription may be £47 as now, or whatever they choose to charge.

The alternative is that I buy a device that will use Bluetooth to talk to my phone, and then they don't charge anything for that service.

Such is easy. However, any particular cellular phone plan may or may not include tethering, and if included, it may be low cost, or expensive. As it happens, my current plan appears to include tethering at £1/day of use. Thus if I were to use the TomTom every work day, averaging 200 days a year, it would cost me £200 to use the phone. I could choose to change my plan, but that might cost me more too - I'm on a cheap plan right now, and one that includes "free" tethering is likely to be £10 a month more, so £120 a year. Both options are a lot more than the TomTom service charge, so right now I'd want the device with SIM.

The future happens though, and free tethering appears on my phone. I no longer want to subscribe to the TomTom service via their SIM, and it stops working. I would thus like the device to use my phone via Bluetooth instead, since that is now free to me. Thus it is important to me that if I buy the SIM-included option, that I can still use my phone's bluetooth when I want to. This gives me the flexibility to pay them, or if their service provider is down and my phone's isn't, to use my phone instead.

What I don't want is that the SIM included devices will ONLY work with the SIM if you pay, and never any other option. I'd have paid more for less flexibility. Given the device would support Bluetooth anyway, it would be a software controlled option, and thus a policy decision. To me, it makes a big difference as to whether I'd buy one of these new devices. They do look tempting...
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:

I can buy a TomTom with a built in SIM which allows it to connect to the HD Traffic servers. To have that work, I have to pay money to TomTom because they have to pay to the service provider. That subscription may be £47 as now, or whatever they choose to charge.

If you buy a device with a SIM, you purchase lifetime traffic as part of the initial cost, there is no subscription. Assume always connected devices will be more expensive than smartphone devices.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
I have a lot of trouble explaining this don't I? My idea must be odd, but I'll try to explain.

Makes total sense now. I hadn't realised how soon GPRS was being phased out in 'merica which is why I, and I assume JockTamsonsBairn, queried why you would need both.

MaFt
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are really offering the SIM included devices with lifetime traffic, then that solves that problem (though I'd still like the option!). But then I just fear for the bandwidth caps that we have now, and they'd have no way to get more money to invest in that...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: