Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Car nav needed with VERY SPECIAL requirment
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Car nav needed with VERY SPECIAL requirment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swatti
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Car nav needed with VERY SPECIAL requirment Reply with quote

And that requirment is speed. Ive used a "MIO moov 610" but their OS eventually just dies and i need to format the whole thing manually and reinstall everything.
Also the mini-usb port eventually just snaps off and its back to the shop again. That has also become harder as MIO importer quit the bisnes, none are sold in the country...

What MIO has that Garmin or TomTom dont, it has quite fast "key-word search" that tries to find anything by that word, POI, street, area, etc.

Why i need such is becaus its being used in a Taxi(or multible ones in my case). When someone in the back-seat throws out an address, you need a machine that can find it fast. I hate having dial in Country, state, sub-state, city, city-area, even house number and THEN the actual street...
Also "find all" with "main-street" gives me everything 500 miles away first. Just an example...

I just want the gizmo to try to guess from the word im typing a street-name. ONLY A STREET NAME. Even number is mostly irrelevant. I'd prefer to filter out POIs and city-areas, JUST a street name.

Also the problem is, we are operating near a city-border so 10 miles from where i start and its another city-zone. This also messes up sat-navs.

I'd prefer a separate stick-it-in-the-windshield-nav BUT we also use Iphones as company phones, so if there is a navigator in the appstore that has this function, im willing to try that out too. But i really do need actual experience on it by someone, word "navigator" gave me 5k+ aps im not willing to buy and try em all out ;)

I really dont want to buy another MIO and im not even sure i can find one in this country anymore. Any ideas?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Car nav needed with VERY SPECIAL requirment Reply with quote

swatti wrote:
I really dont want to buy another MIO and im not even sure i can find one in this country anymore.
Hi, and welcome to PGPSW. And what would "this country" be?
swatti
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Car nav needed with VERY SPECIAL requirment Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
swatti wrote:
I really dont want to buy another MIO and im not even sure i can find one in this country anymore.
Hi, and welcome to PGPSW. And what would "this country" be?

Would that even matter? Anyways. Finland.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have iGO8. The address search 'remembers' your country and the last city/town you searched in and you just have to start typing the road name.
I live in De La Warr Road, Bexhill, UK so to find my street I have to go to Menu ~ Find ~ Address. The country and town are filled in for me so I tap on 'Street Name' and just start typing "De {space} L" and three options pop up one of which is De La Warr Road. Tap De La Warr Road to select it then 'Street Midpoint' (or stick in a house number). Simples. Especially if you are working in the same city/town.
There you go.

And your country was not really relevant I suppose other than to suggest where you might get one from. Do they have Halfords in Finland? Very Happy

Edit:
iGO Primo does the same as does Sygic for Android/iThing. You can d/l a trial version of Sygic from any old Google or iTing app store
Edit 2
I've had experience of all three mentioned above.

Edit 3
Am I forgiven for asking 'which country' Very Happy Very Happy Twisted Evil
swatti
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some online stores might have some old navigons but other then that Finland is totaly under the Garmin and TomTom cartels.

Gave my neighbour a ride when going to town too, suddenly he says:
"Theres a screen with map in this car! It know where your going too"
(Three seconds of thinking to pick an answer)
"Jeah, big brother is watching... They can email your speeding-tickets too"
(He looks at me at awe, clearly not getting the joke)
"Is that them letters being sent by computers?"
(Deep inside i felt an urge to bash my head into the wheel)

Hes a CEO at logistics firm. Kinda tells how backwater this place is.

Any online-shops selling those that ships worldwide. Pref to avoid ebay.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nokia lumia or htc windows phone with Nokia drive

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sygic for iphone or Android phone. You can buy from itunes for iphone or Play Store for Android and download direct.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: