Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iOS6 Does Not Provide True GPS Location to Apps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iOS6 Does Not Provide True GPS Location to Apps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave2084
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: iOS6 Does Not Provide True GPS Location to Apps Reply with quote

While doing some beta testing for for another app I have discovered that there is an issue with iOS6 which means that when travelling over a certain speed iOS will "Stick" to an Apple Maps road.

Great if the maps are up to date, but as Apple are even slower than Tomtom then it is a problem!

I'm not a developer so can't really comment, but the Apple iOS6 documentation has this to say.

There's a full description of the issue here
(though a slightly different scenario, IT IS a problem if a road is upgraded and deviates from it's original path).

Is this implemented in CamerAlert so it is free of the issue?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the heads-up. Since CamerAlert is squarely aimed at road use we're less affected. But it's always good to be aware of this sort of stuff.

I wonder what happens if you disable the mobile data and Wifi radios, and only keep GPS active. They may still cache some of the map data but eventually they should run out of cheat sheets. What will happen then?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But surely if you set it to Pedestrian or 'Other' then it wouldn't snap to the nearest road?

The description for Other says "The location manager is being used to track movements for other types of vehicular navigation that are not automobile related. For example, you would use this to track navigation by boat, train, or plane."

A boat, train or plain would go over the suspected 20mph threshold but would not need to be snapped to the road. So an easy workaround would be for the developer to set the type as "CLActivityTypeOtherNavigation". ALthough it does rely on Apple not picking that up, but to be honest I doubt they would...

MaFt
Dave2084
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Thank you for the heads-up. Since CamerAlert is squarely aimed at road use we're less affected. But it's always good to be aware of this sort of stuff.

If you drive anywhere where a new road was built in the last 18 months this could be an issue. I'm particularly having issues with navigation on the new A46 south of Newark. It opened 1 Dec 2011 and is still not on apple maps. It even appeared on Tomtom on the last update! Everything was fine on iOS5 ...

If you view this thread on the Waze forums I have added a lot of detail that gives a better understanding of the issue and how it affects us drivers.

http://world.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42502
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we'll add CLActivityTypeOther into the next update.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Dave2084
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!
Dave2084
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working with the Waze Devs to try and fix this issue (as I'm unlucky enough to live next to an affected road) and CLActivityTypeOther did not fix it, however, the latest Waze beta uses CLActivityTypeOtherNavigation which does indeed fix the issue.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I read the safest bet is to use the Fitness activity type. We'll probably use that too.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Dave2084
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to record tracks with a few running cycling apps when I was investigating the issue on Waze and they either didn't track properly or stuck to apple maps at motorway speeds.

Having said that I have no idea if any of these have implemented changes for iOS6.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: