Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Experience with Garmin and TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Experience with Garmin and TomTom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cloggienl
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Experience with Garmin and TomTom Reply with quote

Well, I have used both my ageing TomTom 730 and a new Garmin 2595LMT side by side for a few months and around 20K miles.

Unfortunately, I have decided to go back to my old TomTom, well not my old 730, but I have bought a second hand 930T. The only reason why have bought the 930 is that it has 4Gb memory and not 2Gb, like the otherwise identical 730. I have bought the traffic aerial, as I found the function quite handy in Europe on the Garmin. The 730 with added SD card was just too slow compared to the 930.

The reason for buying a Garmin was that the TT did not give speed camera warnings in France, which was fixed by going to navcore 9401 or earlier. TomTom seems to have blanked the warnings in France in later navcores, probably something to do with the required danger zones in France. I am now running navcore 9051, as it has all the functionality that TT in their wisdom deleted in later versions. I am running the 900 4602 maps.

My Garmin was as it came out of the box, with the latest maps installed.

I found the user interfaces of both units quite good with a couple of exceptions. The Garmin doesn't let you add a 'favourite' with one touch. Not very handy when noting down new speed cameras. And I haven't found a way to navigate to a town center, if the town is in a different country than where you actually are. That might be just my ignorance though.

I find the screen quality and voice quality of the Garmin to be a step above the TomTom. It is easier to type accurately on the Garmin, where on the TT I get quite a few 'miss types'.

For the spirited drivers that use their devices for predicting corners and how fast to enter a bend on unknown roads, the TT is definitely better, both in 3d and 2d view. The Garmin display is not as accurate and corners are sometimes a surprise.

The routing in both units can leave something to be desired but the Garmin really gets confused. Yesterday, I drove from Holland to Burgundy in France, a route I often drive. I know what all the routes are and I have my own fastest route. The TomTom seems to learn fairly quickly, and seems to adapt to my route. The Garmin however, tries to revert to its own ideas rigorously, sometimes trying to make a detour to get to a motorway, adding 100 Kms and half an hour to the journey; other times trying to do the opposite, sending you down a small road that is a little bit shorter but takes ages. The Garmin does not seem to take traffic lights into account when calculating arrival times making its arrival time unreliable. The TomTom is normally way too generous with its arrival time, and actual arrival is normally much quicker, but this seems to be more predictable and reliable.

For me, a major flaw in the Garmin's software is that POI icons like speed cameras sometimes do not display, while giving the audible warning fine. I have tried all sorts of files, but it is hap-hazard. Yesterday, it was fine on most of the journey, but the cameras on the A19 in France and a couple of others were not displayed. But if I do the same journey next week, they might well displayed. Strange.

I hope this helps people when deciding which brand to buy, even though I hate to say it, the older TomTom 730/930 is better for my use. I don't like to advise people to buy a device that is made by a company that seems not to care a jot about its customers and I know their newer machines leave a lot to be desired. But hey, if you need a good unit, find a second hand 720/730 if you only need maps for a few countries or a 920/930 if you need the whole of Europe. Then if you need the speed cam warnings in France, roll back the navcore to 9401 or before and you have a one of the best units in my opinion.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Experience with Garmin and TomTom Reply with quote

cloggienl wrote:

And I haven't found a way to navigate to a town center, if the town is in a different country than where you actually are. That might be just my ignorance though.

For the spirited drivers that use their devices for predicting corners and how fast to enter a bend on unknown roads, the TT is definitely better, both in 3d and 2d view. The Garmin display is not as accurate and corners are sometimes a surprise.

For me, a major flaw in the Garmin's software is that POI icons like speed cameras sometimes do not display, while giving the audible warning fine. I have tried all sorts of files, but it is hap-hazard. Yesterday, it was fine on most of the journey, but the cameras on the A19 in France and a couple of others were not displayed. But if I do the same journey next week, they might well displayed. Strange.

Simple enough to navigate to a city in a different country, just have to change the country setting.

Garmin GPS will display all speed cameras from their own files, so if you are not seeing cameras in third party files you'll need to speak to whoever provides them, although my understanding is that they're illegal in France anyway?

As for not providing enough detail for 'spirited driving' as you call it, you need to learn to drive correctly. Driving on the basis of informatioin from your satnav will only lead to a day when you kill or injure yourself, or worse others. I just hope it's not me coming the other way when you use your GPS to decide 'how fast to enter a bend' Twisted Evil
cloggienl
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry if I offended you with my opinions...

Yes, navigating to a street in a city abroad is fine, however when going to a town without having a street address is different. When pressing the 'towns' button there is not a country choice. But like I said before, I might well be missing something.

Camera databases are not illegal in France, they just must be configured to show the area around the camera as a danger zone, and not precisely point at the camera. The missing icons are correctly installed and at the same location sometimes show and sometimes not. It even did this with Garmin's own database before I deleted it.

As for spirited driving, you must have misinterpreted or misunderstood me. Enough said.

I have tried to give an objective opinion about both my Garmin and my TomTom. If you follow one satnav brand like a religion, my opinion might not suit or be of interest.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Experience with Garmin and TomTom Reply with quote

cloggienl wrote:

Difficult to 'misinterpret or misunderstand' this Rolling Eyes
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cloggienl wrote:

Yes, navigating to a street in a city abroad is fine, however when going to a town without having a street address is different. When pressing the 'towns' button there is not a country choice. But like I said before, I might well be missing something.

Simply enter the name of the city, you'll be presented with a selection starting from nearest to farthest. If I enter Cardiff for example I'm offered Cardiff in Wales, as well as one in New Zealand amongst others!
cloggienl
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
cloggienl wrote:

Simply enter the name of the city, you'll be presented with a selection starting from nearest to farthest. If I enter Cardiff for example I'm offered Cardiff in Wales, as well as one in New Zealand amongst others!

You're right, just tried it :-)
cloggienl
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Experience with Garmin and TomTom Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
cloggienl wrote:

Difficult to 'misinterpret or misunderstand' this Rolling Eyes

Some people hear something, form an opinion and will stop listening. Spirited as opposed to lacklustre does not mean too fast or dangerous, whatever you insinuate.
My satnav is a great help at night in the dark to determine which way the road is going to go.
You seem to latch onto the word 'spirited' and 'fast' to foolishly form an unchangeable opinion that I must be driving dangerously, without any other facts. Yet, I drive anything but dangerously.

I pity the accused in court when you happen to have jury duty...
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guilty as charged m'lud Laughing

OK, I hear what you say but it's difficult to see why you even mentioned it if you don't drive in that manner, but I'm happy to accept that you say you don't Smile
cloggienl
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention a couple of handy functions the Garmin has that the TT hasn't.
-delete route from the main screen. With the TT you have to press a few buttons to get there.
-height above sea level (or below if you drive through Holland :-)) is a nice feature on the Garmin that the TT doesn't have.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: