Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Do We Have a Compatable Alpine database?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Do We Have a Compatable Alpine database?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Is Bletchley Park still up and running ?

Keep up lad.....
a week ago, DennisN wrote:
Have you tried feeding it into an Enigma decoding thingy?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed

I'll keep taking the tablets
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r4robert wrote:
I am now confident that the scbd database is not directional.

Agreed, I can't find any indication of direction for SCDB sites on their website.

SCDB website wrote:
Safety camera database for Alpine INE-W92xR with all stationary speed and red light monitoring systems worldwide. At the moment, there are more than 52.000 stationary safety cameras in our database. Consequently, you have access to the most extensive and accurate database available for the planet.

Does this include SPECS? It certainly does not mention mobile camera sites, which is leaving a great hole in your data!

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they do have SPECS data. At least their iGO files have the 'idtype' value for 'average speed' cams

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

530 of SPECS. Checked a few and they are specs on our DB as well.
47 Redlight
970 RedSpeeds. Hardly any have actually got the speed against them and I suspect that most of them are actually just RedLight anyway.
4140 Fixed, most of which have speed allocated

Total of about 5700. No mobiles.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loaded the example given earlier into Excel and did some sorting.

I take back my statement about the direction and hex values being consistent, they aren't. 22 degrees comes before 5 degrees for example. Plus 45 degrees came before and after 125 degrees when I sorted the hex values.

I've performed all manner of sorting and +/*- and I can't find any correlation that allows the hex values to be in ascending order.

I did briefly try the ascii values but that drew a blank as well
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a feeling that it's a waste of time trying to find directional data as there no DIRTYPE in that column, SCDB standard iGO database has no directional info in it and it appears that the Alpine interpretation is not directional.
I wonder if Robert would give putting a value of (1 or 2) in the DIRTYPE column on a cam in the scdb database and see whether the db still loads. Then as another test try altering a lat or lon of a known cam a bit by altering the last digit of one of them and try again. If it doesn't load, this would indicate that the hex is almost certainly some some sort of checksum on the lat/lon.

As far as I can see, the only (if only is the right word Very Happy )benefit would be to have our database and the option of mobiles.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, some form of manipulation with each column to see which one(s) cause the checksum to fail.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
r4robert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
I've got a feeling that it's a waste of time trying to find directional data as there no DIRTYPE in that column, SCDB standard iGO database has no directional info in it and it appears that the Alpine interpretation is not directional.
I wonder if Robert would give putting a value of (1 or 2) in the DIRTYPE column on a cam in the scdb database and see whether the db still loads. Then as another test try altering a lat or lon of a known cam a bit by altering the last digit of one of them and try again. If it doesn't load, this would indicate that the hex is almost certainly some some sort of checksum on the lat/lon.

As far as I can see, the only (if only is the right word Very Happy )benefit would be to have our database and the option of mobiles.

Tried both your helpful suggestions and they both loaded fine!

Thanks,
Confused of Tooting Smile
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I forgot from my previous post was to ask whether the modified cams still show on the map and alert. If they do, it sort of implies that the stuff at the end is not a checksum.
r4robert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
What I forgot from my previous post was to ask whether the modified cams still show on the map and alert. If they do, it sort of implies that the stuff at the end is not a checksum.
No problem, I,ll try again tomorrow.

Still no reply to my email to Alpine.....

Thanks Smile
r4robert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: The PGPSW database works! Reply with quote

This is a post with good news and an apology.

Many of you have been working hard to find a way to get the PGPSW database to work on my Alpine W928R.

First the good news. The current iGO database from PGPSW WORKS without any alterations. This came as a revelation to me, and I feel extremely embarrassed that I raised the Original Post.

So what's happened? Well, I down-loaded the scdb database this week and was surprised to see that they had forgotten to add the hexadecimal (or whatever it is) to the end of each line.

I thought they had made a big mistake as their downloads always had the baffling extra numbers & letters as an integral part of their database text.

Anyway, I decided for the sake of curiosity that I would copy this database on to an SD card and try and upload it to the 928. It failed the first time with a message that the contents of the SD card was not compatible. Undeterred I switched the ignition off, removed and replaced the key, and tried again. It loaded OK!
I could not believe it, so I went for a drive, and sure enough the 928 warned me of cameras.

How was this possible, and why had it not worked before? (I'd posted several photos with the 928's error messages). Well to cut a long story short, I have discovered by trial and error that the Firmware that operates the 928 is extremely 'flaky', and one has to make up to 6 attempts before it will load the PGPSW database properly.

I find such erratic behaviour from a premium Nav/Media device astonishing (or appalling, depending on your view point). But that's the reality. So my previous failures to upload the database were genuine, I just did it once, got an error, and understandably concluded that the Test had failed.

So to recap:

1. The Alpine W92xR series can use the PGPSW iGO database, providing you have tenacity!

2. BUT, you have to try the installation several times before it will load correctly, and more importantly, load 100% of the data.

3. IF during the loading process the 928 switches to the Nav screen, you have failed, even though you can press the Nav button and return to the loading screen, (which seems to be going fine, by the way).

4. It is imperative that to get a clean 100% database installation the 928 stays on the loading page the whole time, running from 1/14 to 14/14 without switching to the Nav screen.
ONLY then can you be certain that have you installed the database cleanly and correctly. (It can take half a dozen attempts before you get an 'uninterrupted' loading screen where you watch 1/14 through to 14/14).

5. You must switch off the ignition AND remove the key for a couple of seconds each time you attempt an upload. So each attempt is with a 92x unit that has been completely switched off. (Like a cold re-boot on a PC I guess).

6. In case anyone asks, I have used a wide variety of (8GB) SD cards: SanDisk, Transcend, Lexar, Verbatim, Kingston, all purchased for the same purpose: to see whether the 928 had any likes or dislikes. They all work fine!

So now my apology.

I apologise for the lengthy delay in posting this. I've been abroad.

I acknowledge all the time and effort many of you have spent trying to solve the riddle of the extra numbers and letters at the end of each line. So I unreservedly apologise to you all for my 'mis-direction' and poor feedback, albeit that it was based on genuine results. I simply didn't realise how fickle the 928 was. Embarassed

If scdb had not published their database without the extra letters and numbers, (an oversight perhaps?), I would never have tried (and re-tried) the PGPSW iGO database.

Additionally, to accompany my apology, I have made a donation to PGPSW, which I hope will be of benefit the Forum, and thus its many members.

The good news is that PGPSW can cater for the latest line of Alpine W92xR in-car Nav units, and I hope that this in turn will increase the scope of membership subscriptions and benefit the Forum generally.

Kind regards,
Robert Very Happy
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then the final question has to be. Is the PGPSW database directional in the Alpine? When you can get it loaded that is Very Happy
r4robert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Then the final question has to be. Is the PGPSW database directional in the Alpine? When you can get it loaded that is Very Happy

No sadly it is not.

However, I have recently discovered a 'sub'/'more' menu buried in the heart of the UI that allows you to highlight a camera you are passing and input the direction it is facing.

In practice, you rarely have enough time to delve into the sub menus of the unit and drive at the same time! So it's a bit of a waste of time. Smile
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the feedback r4robert. Admittedly, I bailed out Early Doors when it started to get too difficult for me to keep-up.
Glad you got it sorted.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: