Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Voice commamd UK Postcodes Nuvi 2595LMT
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Voice commamd UK Postcodes Nuvi 2595LMT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smeagain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Voice commamd UK Postcodes Nuvi 2595LMT Reply with quote

I had a 2595LMT for Christmas and it is a massive step up from my much older Street Pilot c510.

One of the main reasons it was chosen for me was the Voice Command Feature. However, I can't seem to make it accept Postcodes by Voice Command.

Is it me not operating it correctly or is Postcode input via Voice Command a feature not supported by this model.

I have updated the Maps to current version and Voice Command takes instructions by Address or Town input, just not Postcodes.

Any help or guidance will be much appreciated.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the manual it would seem unlikely that you'd be able to input postcodes. Having input the addres though you can call it up using the commands. See page 18 to 20 of the manual:

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/nuvi_2405_2505_series_OM.pdf
smeagain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt reply sussamb.
I am frequently issued with a list of Locations just by Postcode alone. So it would have been a big advance for me to input using Voice Command.

Looks like it's back to old fashioned (and awkward) Touch-screen entry for these locations.

Maybe Garmin will catchup in a software/firmware upgrade sometime soon. Not holding my breath though.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smeagain wrote:

Maybe Garmin will catchup in a software/firmware upgrade sometime soon. Not holding my breath though.

Very wise Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why this is?

TomTom are exactly the same... they are able to accept city and street names as addresses o navigate to, but not postcodes (you have to do those by tapping on screen as normal).

Now, I'm sure it must be easier for a voice recognition system to identify simple letters and numbers rather than tricky sounding street names, so I think there must be some other reason they don't offer it for postcodes.

Maybe some stupid copyright restriction from the Post Office (who own and licence the postcodes)?
smeagain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe some stupid copyright restriction from the Post Office

I doubt it's copyright, because that has been relaxed in recent years and anyway I would expect it to be applied the same when tapped in or spoken.

However back to the original issue.
I only purchased this Garmin model to eliminate on the go tapping in destinations. The Voice Command only eliminates less than 50% for me. So, I do feel a bit cheated as I had expectations that this capability would be at the top of a designers list when specifying Voice Command capability.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you get a "trigger word" (to go into voice control mode) on Garmins, don't you?

On a TomTom, you have to tap the screen just to get started with voice control, then you get a chance to shout at it for a while, and then you often have to tap the screen again to finish!
smeagain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day, designers will think it a good idea to perform a "User Needs Analysis" before they go off and produce 'not quite there yet products'.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But TT seem to have done the opposite. They started off with good devices and developed them into 'Not quite there' products:roll:
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Returned to Garmin Reply with quote

I returned a TomTom 850 to Halfords because of this supposed Hands Free voice control. On Halfords site, it says talk to the 850 hands free and I said you don't because you have to press the little microphone in the bottom left hand corner to start a conversation. He couldn't really argue so I changed this for a Garmin Nuvi 2595LMT which is really hands free. The TomTom also kept crashing my Windows 8 laptop everytime I connected it.
I love the Garmin apart from the 6 hour long map updating I had to do on first getting it. I have changed the speed cameras for the one on here because, although it is advertised as having Cyclops speed cameras, they are not updated and you need to buy a subscription for £8.45 for that.
All in all, the proper satnav has come on in leaps and bounds as I have been using a Smartphone one for the past two years or so and the difference is surprising.
I'm back!!
Doug
Dabri
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how different the 2595 is from the 2460, but it is possible to use voice command to enter post codes on a 2460 using ... Voice Command, Find Address, Spell Post Code. It works on my unit.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No units I know of accept voice entry for post codes, any make or model

Don't know the reason why other than we rely on post codes more in the UK than many other countries so maybe it's simply forgotten / less important development?
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Dabri
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xltraseller, the Garmin nuvi 2460 LMT does.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: