Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2012: This Year's Vital Statistics
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2012: This Year's Vital Statistics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: 2012: This Year's Vital Statistics Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Each year we like to publish various statistics about speed camera submissions, awards and forum usage.

This year is no different and so it is with great pleasure that I give to you this year's "vital" statistics (correct up to 7pm this evening (30th December 2012))

This year a total of 29,094 submissions (~559 per week) were received and processed for the CamerAlert Speed Camera Database. Of these 22,953 were submitted directly from our CamerAlert apps (16,481 from iOS and 6,472 from Android).

Overall there were 4,523 new/modified cameras that resulted in a subscription award - this was Lifetime membership for qualifying submissions up to 31st October and a free one year subscription from 1st November onwards. These 'winning' submissions were from 1,051 different users.

Up to 31st October we awarded 460 Lifetime memberships and since 1st November we awarded 31 one year subscriptions.

Out of the 52 possible releases this year (there are 52 Wednesdays in 2012) we published 49 database updates. Why were we so slack? Well, the team hit MWC (Mobile World Congress) at the end of February and the following Wednesday MaFt had a planned hospital visit so those two releases got merged into a single, one-off Friday release. In June MaFt was causing trouble (again) by demanding a holiday in Tenerife for a week and then the 3rd release that was 'missed' was on Boxing Day.

You haven't only been busy with camera submissions though, you've also been very busy in our forums. This year 2,041 unique users made 18,770 forum posts in 2,655 separate topics!

So, from all at PocketGPSWorld.com, we hope you had a great Christmas and wish you all the best for 2013!

MaFt, Mike, Darren, Rob, Lutz and our wonderful team of Moderators and Verifiers.
email icon

Last edited by MaFt on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
jackbarry
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done you lot! Good health and happiness to you all for 2013! jack.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just dug out last years stats from http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/2011-The-Year-in-Speed-Cameras-2524.php

Code:
                           2011        2012
Total submissions        22,407      29,094
CamerAlert Submissions   15,377      22,953
Total changes             3,189       4,523
..from users              1,019       1,051
Total releases               49          49
Free awards                 508         491

MaFt
Quinny1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These figures are obviously good news, however I feel that they could be higher.

Let me explain.....

I am one of those that have been spotting cameras from the early days, and have a verified spotter sticker to prove it. Very Happy

My job as an hgv driver means I can spot cameras that don't come up on my sat nav's database, because there may not be any PGPSW member in that area, or in the case of mobiles, can re-confirm them, or verify them if they are pmobile.

But I have noticed that when I do this, sometimes they remain unchanged for weeks. One such example that MaFt will know the area from which it is sited, is outside the car auction house at John O Gaunts near Rothwell in Leeds. It is currently listed as pmobile, but I saw it and resubmitted it a few weeks ago, yet on the current xmas database, it hasn't changed.

The PGPSW team do a brilliant job, (After all my licence is still clean!!!) and this is not a crticism, but I feel that the figures could be slightly misleading.

Could these submissions not be acted upon quicker in order to keep ahead of the competition, as there are many out there now, or does a spot still have to be verified by a.n other?
hucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess they need at least two people to submit it, otherwise how do they know you didn't make a mistake?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. The John o' Gaunts pub at Rothwell was the scene of my very first ever descent into being drunk, somewhere about 55 years ago (Streetview says it's an Indian now, maybe I put the mockers on it?). The only camera I can see there on the site map is 101350, which isn't (right now) a pMobile, but a full blown mobile. Is your pMobile still unchanged? If so, it might be that you have an old element of database still on there?

The verification process is pretty sound and as hucker comments, multiple sightings confirm these things aren't mistakes. Note, 29,000 submissions this year and quite a lot of them were! I think we already keep ahead of the competition (by a long way) because we have such good (submission and) verification performances.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
The only camera I can see there on the site map is 101350, which isn't (right now) a pMobile, but a full blown mobile.

101350 is still a pMobile. The initial submission and Quiny1's submission as a 'seen again'. It's still waiting a verifier visit and/or another independant sighting before it hits Active status.

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Sorry, my error! All down to the fact that there are SIX pMobiles between Oulton Hall and the M1 - incredible! Somebody's been having a field day with the submission buttons.

I'm not due to visit home until about April some time, for Rothwell Music Festival (a proper music festival, not one of those daft bangy bangy music rackets), so I'll hope I get a job to go up there before then.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Quinny1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

If I can help to verify any cameras that need doing, then give me a nudge.

Only too happy to help.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: