Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Maps constantly zooming out/Average Speed Jumping about
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Maps constantly zooming out/Average Speed Jumping about
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Settings? Reply with quote

I wonder if there is some setting difference that is causing these issues.

Could someone who has their app working properly, both with average speeds and with the map zoom out issue, post all their settings for the app? We can then try the exact same settings and see if that helps.

Many thanks.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I've got it right this time, thorough testing yesterday and today, and I can't get the average speed to bounce about and give big readings. If anything quite the opposite!

Yesterday I sat by the window to test the stationary and average speed for about 4-5 mins. I sat watching the grass grow, I didn't see it move. Neither did the actual or average speeds. Zero all the time for both of them. No maps running, no data / wifi running, just CA.

So, onto test 2. CA running, no maps or data running. I drove from parents gaff to the M4, about 3 miles, single/dual lanes. speeds 30mph and 50 mph.
Average speed showing from the start.
The average started at 0, and very slowly rose up to a maximum of 25mph, this was when I was just about coming to the end of the 50mph 1 mile stretch onto M4.
Whilst on the M4 from J34 to J32 at 70mph the most the average got to was 45mph. Did this slowly and did not jump about.

Shopping at ASDA.

Back on to M4 J 32 and back to J34. This time tapping the average to come on and off as and when I tapped it. It would initially show same speed as the actual, then drop down about 5mph.
Every time I tapped it to show average it would always show the actual speed and drop down about 5-6 mph again and stay there.

I don't know how the "average speed" works on CA, but I assume "average" to be a measure between a fixed distance or a fixed time. I don't know if this is the case with CA or what it actually measures, if you see what I mean.

Anyway, same test today (Sat), this time various 30mph roads 40mph roads, leading to M4 and this time J35 to J36 and then back again.
Same tests as yesterday, this time with maps and data on. Again the same results as yesterday.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What phone are you using. Let's see if we can find a correlation there.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on a Galaxy S3 using Android version 4.0.4.

However before that i was using HTC Sensation using the previous Android version (can't remember off hand what that was). I recall I wasn't having the jumping about issue then either, but never used the average that often except when it popped up (if at all) in a Specs.

Also all my phones are unlocked, Sim free from the manufacturer, so don't have any carrier stuff on them.
smar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Found the problem! Reply with quote

On a long drive down to Birmingham just now, I played with the various settings and finally pinned down the problems I've been experiencing to the 'Use Network Location'.

Turning this OFF seems to have fixed both my problems! No zooming out to show half the country and no jumping at all on the average speed.

Re-enabling the Use Network Location immediately brought back both issues.

I'll try once more on the drive back but am hopeful that this is the cause of the problems.

Thanks everyone for all your efforts in trying to get to the bottom of this.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one smar.

I can confirm that mine is turned off.
Also turned off are Use compass when slow and Use alternative GPS starter.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find smar. I have got my 'Use natwork location' switched on at the moment. I'll try it with it off in the morning and report back. I hope that this is the cause, and if so, PGPSW can do something about it.

EDIT. I think that you have got it. I just tried it in 'couch' and 'walk around the house' mode, and when Use network locations (UNL)' was on, both the maps and av spd jumped around. Switch off UNL and it's fine. This is repeatable. Did it 5 or 6 times, always with the same results.

Will the others with the problem try this and report back to confirm it's not just a two 'off' please.
smar wrote:
Thanks everyone for all your efforts in trying to get to the bottom of this.
Lets hope that PGPSW get to the bottom of this.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too tried this whilst standing still and it appears to work. So nice find. I will try it when on the move sometime soon to confirm.

But I would also like PGPSW to now change CA so that it works with use network enabled. It should be easier now we know what is causing it.
Copilot for USA
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
But I would also like PGPSW to now change CA so that it works with use network enabled.
Why? What does it/is it supposed to do, except make the map jump around and screw up the average speed calc?

Tried mine with Network thingy OFF. Works a treat. No map jumping and Av Spd seems to work OK. I don't get the immediate speed shift reported by someone else. When I enable Av Spd, it goes to the speed that I am doing then stays there +=1MPH (given that I drive at a constant speed using my Cruise control)
adamwolfe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick test run over approx 10 miles with Network location unticked. No issues at all and average speed working too.

Samsung Galaxy S2 running Android 4.0.4 if that helps Smile
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Why? What does it/is it supposed to do, except make the map jump around and screw up the average speed calc?

Whoa ... easy tiger.

I guess it was put there by PGPSW for a beneficial reason. It is used by other apps without problems and, as I understand it, it helps to get a quicker and better positional information, especially where the view of the sky may be limited, for example in cities. But hey, if you disagree, fine with me, but no need to get worked up about it though.
Copilot for USA
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, done some resarch and found what it means, but what exactly does 'Use alternative GPS starter' mean/do?
Oh, and BTW, I wasn't getting worked up or disagreeing with anyone. I was pleased that smar pointed me/us in the right direction and was just enquiring what it was supposed to do because all it seemed to do was screw up the map display and average speed.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
OK, done some resarch and found what it means, but what exactly does 'Use alternative GPS starter' mean/do?.

I think (but am not sure) that that is an alternative way of switching the GPS receiver on when you first load CA but can't get a satellite fix. I have not the faintest idea why there are two ways to do this or why it is needed, but I have got it permanently switched on.
Copilot for USA
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once upon a time there was a phone called the Galaxy Spica that would not wake up its GPS chipset in a standard fashion. So we got some help from a spanish forum to offer an alternative way of initialising the GPS chipset that allowed this phone to use CamerAlert.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: