Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - buy a sat nav for my car, which one?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

buy a sat nav for my car, which one?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: buy a sat nav for my car, which one? Reply with quote

Hello there,
i wonder if you can help me choosing the right sat nav.
I am looking for a reliable but not too expensive one, covering UK and the rest of Europe. My car, for what it matters
is an audi A4.
I don't know that much about sat nav and their performance,
I know that garmin makes good ones but quite expensive and I know many people use the TomTom, so
I think I would be happy with that. I don't need a particularly big screen, a standard one will suffice and as long as the system and signal are reliable then I am happy
Does anybody have any suggestion and perhaps and indication of which product would be good for me? Happy to read a few reviews as well
thanks
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What phone have you got most smartphone apps are more than a match for any dedicated satnav and usually there under 100 pounds for Europe

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
jazzon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi thanks, my phone isn't an option I am afraid, I have an android device but it is too slow. I am looking for a proper sat nav, like a tom tom or something else, but I am not sure what's good and bad etc
thanks
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jazzon, You probably shan't get a "xxx" is better than a "yyy" reply. It's not that easy I'm afraid. From what I have read here I get the impression that TomTom routing tends to be more realistic and their traffic information is good (despite recent glitches - see forums) while Garmin are offering good deals with Lifetime maps and decent support. Users of other manufacturers are happy with their choices too.

All will get you from A to Z without too much drama, most Garmins will also let you stop off at B,C,D, etc. en-route.

Probably best if you decide on a few models of different makes which fit your budget and needs, if possible try them out in the flesh to get a feel of the operations, maps and the quality and ask any questions here to enable you to whittle down your selection to get to a shortlist.

As to which SatNav does what, it's a bit of a minefield. This site http://www.satnav-discounts.co.uk/tomtom-go/satnavselector.htm is probably one of the better ones for comparing models and features.

Let us know if you have any questions,
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit to my post above - It used to be, and probably still is, best to avoid TomToms with a little ² in their name (i.e. TomTom XL IQ²). It usually means that they operate with a simplified menu. This is not necessarily a problem, just something to be aware of as adding speed cameras and other POIs is not as straight forward as it could be.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
jazzon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi thanks a lot for your reply. I will give a very good look at the link you have posted. I guess I can select one sat nav and then find a review on this website perhaps?
Quote:

You said most Garmins will also let you stop off at B,C,D, etc. en-route
what do you mean exactly? SOrry I am not really that good with sat navs.
There is something else I would like to ask. What do you reckon are the best questions to ask, and options to look for in a sat nav?
Things like, speed cameras, upgrading software and what else? This will help me to find a good product
thanks[/quote]
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a feature to be found on some SatNavs called Itinerary Planning. Lets say that you wish to go from LandsEnd to Norwich via Hull, Bournemouth and Swansea (we shall call these Waypoints). Some SatNAvs will plan that route for you. If you also wanted to go to Brighton, I believe that the latest TomToms would fail because they can only handle 3 Waypoints at a time. Clearly, to drive the above route in that order would be ridiculous, some Garmins can optimise the route for you providing you with the most time/cost effective directions.

PLEASE bear in mind that my experience is limited to TomToms that are at least 3years old and operating on a previous generation of software with maps just as old. Please Don't make a buying decision based solely on my replies.

The questions I would ask before buying a SatNAv would be -

1) Whats my budget?

2) What kind of a driver am I? Commuter who occasionally goes to the seaside at weekends, Company Rep who travels the country always visiting several New Clients a day or somewhere in between. (i.e. do I already know my routes (basic) or am I going to really rely on my SatNAv to get me to several unknown destinations the best way possible (top-end).

3) Which countries shall I be driving in? and how soon? (If you are going to the USA it will be cheaper to buy a SatNAv already loaded with Europe and USA maps than buying a Uk/Eu model and buying additional maps. However, If going to the USA is a pipedream, the maps will probably be out of date by the time you go or the SatNav may already be knackerd or nicked).

4) Is up to date traffic/weather information really important? and am I prepared to pay for it? (some traffic info is free (RDS-TMC) but can be hit and miss, paid for Over-the Air traffic info is generally more accurate, depending upon supplier/carrier

5) How likely am I going to update my maps? ( do I pay a little premium now to have LifeTime free map updates or "I really want that make/model, it doesn't have free map updates but I'll buy new maps if-and-when".

6) Do I need bluetooth? (This will enable to you pair with compatible phones, headphones, music players, etc. Useful if hands-free is important to you.)

7) How computer savvy am I? (it's easier to transfer routes/cameras/POIs/maps/etc from the PC to SatNAv on some makes more than others)

I'm sure I have missed many more important questions. Other members will have different priorities/needs.

If loading Speed Cameras and other POIs is going to be important to you, have a look at this web-page

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras&referer=SideBar, scroll down to the SatNav you are interested in to see if it is possible.

Good luck!

Edited for some spelling
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzon, As I've declared my interest in old TT's I'll stop beating around the bush.
If I knew then what I know now I'd buy this

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/shop/tomtom-outlet-store/go-750-live-refurbished/index.jsp use the discount code "welcome123b" at the checkout.

with the knowledge that It's got most things I'll ever need at a good price despite being an old model with old maps but is easy to use.

If and when I ever out-grow it I'd buy an Android tablet with GPS and data. see http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=91597&postdays=0&postorder=asc.

EDIT, but that's just me, based on my budget, driving type and "tinkering" ability Very Happy
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: buy a sat nav for my car, which one? Reply with quote

jazzon wrote:

I know that garmin makes good ones but quite expensive

I wouldn't say that was true. Garmin satnavs start at well under £100, and having used 4 different Garmins now I find them excellent devices. I've used my latest one (a 1490) both here and in Europe and get excellent results.

I chose the 1490 as it as bluetooth capability (so makes my phone hands free) and has a route planning function, that allows you to plan multi-stop routes either directly on the satnav or on my PC that I then download to my Garmin.

The 1490 is an older model now although you can still find a few around for sale. But there are later Garmin models at various price ranges that will do the same.
jazzon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant, thanks you all ever so much for all your advices : - )

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: