Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom for Android lands in Google Play store
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom for Android lands in Google Play store
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrinklyninja
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have purchased the TomTom app for west Europe for my Desire HD and so far everything great. Fast fix etc. Only gripe is that to get all the features you have to use in landscape mode. Western Europe maps needs 2.5G of storage space but that's not that different to any other offering and not an issue if you have a decent SD card installed.
I have to agree with a few comments about Sygic which I have used for a while (since I gave up on WinMo phone with TomTom 7). Sygic MM10 was great but from Aura onwards I have found some of the routing weird. I was not impressed when it recently wanted to take me through the centre of Madrid instead of using the ring road and the over verbose instructions can really grate after a while. (I only need telling so many times to go 'straight on'. Do agree that TomTom has cocked up with resolution issue but I reckon it will be quickly resolved.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lui-G wrote:
Well, the good news is that it does work on the i9300 Samsung S3 - unbranded stock ROM.

I legitimately purchased the app onto my old HTC Desire (under 50MB), then backed up the APK app using this method:
http://droidlessons.com/how-to-backup-android-apps-and-save-them-to-apk-file/

Like Lui-G, I purchased on an old HTC Desire & transfrerred the app to my SGS3 before downloading the maps, all 360mb of them. So far so good but I'll know better once I've used it in anger.

I haven't had a look yet whether the app will take custom poi (aka PGPS camera db) and any advise/observations welcomed, failing which I'll give it a try when I have some time
spikeywelsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know if you buy the uk version of the app can you add extra maps to it or would you have to but the usa map as well
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been for an 20 mile round trip to visit friends all seems to be well on the SGS3. First observations are that it looks good & it seems stable. My only critisism so far are visually, with most of the text & icons appearing to be very small & hard to see/select, whereas in landscape mode the blue directions box is far too big, but the visual problems may be down to it being on an unsupported device. The good news is that the routing is as expected, having dabbled with Google, Sygic & the abysmal CoPilot it's good to be back to routing that is, so far, fairly logical. Let's hope TomTom get their finger out with full support for hi res screens
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spikeywelsh wrote:
anyone know if you buy the uk version of the app can you add extra maps to it or would you have to but the usa map as well

You'd need to buy the entire US app.
spikeywelsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
spikeywelsh wrote:

You'd need to buy the entire US app.

thxs for the reaply been playing with some NFC tags got one in my car that now puts blue tooth on / music player and will start tom tom when i get it
wrinklyninja
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely with previous post. Have tried a reasonable drive in Spain and the routing and voice directions far surpassed Sygic. Never been a great fan of TomTom as a company.but their routing algorithms take a some beating. In the absence of instructions for setting up POI, I have tried the app.with Cameralert and it appears to work a treat.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a play with the speed camera db last night & they can be displayed on screen:-
Extract the database in the usual way & whilst the phone is connected to a computer navigate to the map folder on the phone in the same way as you would on a TomTom PND ie
TomTom/com.TomTom.ukireland/files/United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland
(Note I have the UK & Eire maps, the folder name will be different if different maps have been purchased)
Drop the PGPSW database in the map folder
From within the TomTom app Navigate to: view map/details/choosee POIs
Select the PGPSW POI files with the check box

you will now have them displayed on screen although on my SGS3 they are tiny, & I can't see any way to receive a warning from within the app because there is no "manage POI"
Used alongside CameraAlert it's almost a solution
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
.... on my SGS3 they (pGPSworld speed camara icons) are tiny

Hopefully sorted with the official release of the higher res version.

Samsung Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tablet S, TomTom. Osmand+ and Sygic. Ex-TomTom Go 1000 Live, ex-TomTom Go 700, ex-TomTom truck, ex Navman/Ipaq
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried the Droid app from TT but it might be worth looking at the thread I started in the Apple section of the forum detailing how to activate warnings on the iPhone app, it worked fine untill Apple screwed it up with the latest iOS6 release.
Take a look at it and see if you can find the mapsettings.cfg file in a folder, if you can simply add a pre-configured mapsettings file along with ogg, bmp and ov2 files and you might find it works - Mike
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no mapsettings.cfg file, doing a search for cfg files brings up a folder called TomTom-Cfg but the only file in there is release.nfo which is just a txt file with version/release info, as you would expect.

I've tried adding favorites & then checking which files are modified but I can't find anything consistent, so maybe TomTom have hidden the config files away in the phone root directories, which I can't access without rooting the phone.
StephenLai
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
There is no mapsettings.cfg file, doing a search for cfg files brings up a folder called TomTom-Cfg but the only file in there is release.nfo which is just a txt file with version/release info, as you would expect.

I've tried adding favorites & then checking which files are modified but I can't find anything consistent, so maybe TomTom have hidden the config files away in the phone root directories, which I can't access without rooting the phone.

Are you connect your Android Phone to a PC (Window) with Window Explorer to search the mapsettings.cfg?

If it is, at the Window Explorer's Menu bar, Tool, Folder Options. Under View , advance Option, try turn on the "Show hidden file,folder and Drive" and select Apply. See the mapsetting.cfg file appear on the listing.

I do not have an Android Phone (I am using an Iphone).

Stephen.
DrDick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Won't be buying Reply with quote

Very reluctant to buy as have to pay extra for their speed cameras but the iPhone cameras seem to be free.
WOuld be interested but have now read that there does not seem to be any verbal warning on the Android version.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenLai wrote:
IanS100 wrote:

Are you connect your Android Phone to a PC (Window) with Window Explorer to search the mapsettings.cfg?

If it is, at the Window Explorer's Menu bar, Tool, Folder Options. Under View , advance Option, try turn on the "Show hidden file,folder and Drive" and select Apply. See the mapsetting.cfg file appear on the listing.

I do not have an Android Phone (I am using an Iphone).

Stephen.

I've been looking using an Android File Manager with "Show Hidden Files" selected. I've double & triple checked using a number of different Android File Managers all with the same result. I'll try Windows explorer tomorrow but I'll be very surprised if I get a different result.
topbanana4
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is taken from my other thread !! Hope it helps

i have a rooted htc desire and found how to get all our old favorites back, i can't find a mapsettings file.
you have to go into the root of your phone then follow this
data/data/com.tomtom.weurope/files/personal/pois
there you will find the Favorites ov2 file, you will have to copy this to your PC have a program POI edit .
when you open the file with POI Edit you will have to put the favorites in manual. save everything then copy back you you phone.
If you have poi's that you want to be seen when driving add then to the map which will be stored on your SD card just make sure the icon is a BMP file and dimensions are 44x44 .
Hope you understand this and that it helps somebody

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: