Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Subscription Renewal & New Members.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Subscription Renewal & New Members.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Changing the terms moving forwards is one thing, retrospectively removing benefits is another.

Whilst it may well have been naiive to offer them in the first place, removing them once awarded is not something we would countenance.

Damn and blast this New Technology! I have never set up a Poll, so I just tried to do one and failed miserably.

Will somebody who is clever please set up (and link here to) a poll - cross refer to this thread and ask the question "Should Free Lifetime Membership be withdrawn from existing Lifers" - simple YES, NO. I believe the result will be overwhelmingly to withdraw it.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
beebeer54
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just stop "Free lifetime membersip" for the future and arrange something else and honour the ones already given?
gijoe9482old
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't normally write on these boards, but thought i would add my thoughts.
I just became a lifetimer 2-3 weeks ago YAY.

I think it is a good idea, but i am not going to cancel my subscription.
I think these guys do a great job, and if it is a charity, then we'll lose it and the database accuracy as well.

Just a couple of options:
1- For every good submitted camera, your subscription increases by 3 months.
So if you sumbitted 3 good camera, your subscription increases by 9 months, etc.

2- Instead of having lifetimers, why not reduce their subscription amount?
Instead of paying £20, then you pay £5. This keeps the money rolling in.

3- Combination of 1 and 2 above.
Good camera extend subscription by 3 months, and after that you only pay £8??

Just thoughts.

It is better to pay that little bit extra for a good product, than get a bad product for free.

Or as my sister keeps reminding me, by cheap buy twice!!!

Joe
burtonian
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am one of those fortunate enough to have reported one 'new' fixed camera and qualified for a Lifetime Membership. I always felt uncomfortable with this perk for only one 'sighting', especially as it was in France and of very little use to the vast majority of our community. I drive far less now I'm retired, so opportunities to submit additional cameras are practically non-existent, but I still look out for them, and I also continue to report 'seen again' mobile locations. The incentive to do this, as has been said, is to ensure that the database is as up to date as possible, both for myself and all others.

I know it's near-impossible to confirm, but at present there is no incentive to report new or seen-again mobile cameras. Does this reflect in the number reported versus fixed camera reports?

I don't know how many 'lifers' have only one report to their name, or if they then stop all reporting, or continue to report as I do. Maybe I'm being very cynical, but if/when you do remove the lifetime membership reward, I believe you still need an incentive for subscribers to report, otherwise you will remove the 'one for one' personal interest, depend entirely on 'one for all' goodwill and maybe even lose some subscribers.

As already suggested, the simplest option would be to change to a 'one year (or more) free' for new fixed cameras, or maybe half-price for n years.

Personally, if current 'lifers' retain their status, I would also be happy to occasionally donate to the upkeep of the most complete and accurate camera database I know of. The introduction of the Android app means I am never without the database when I need it. I may no longer drive every day, or cover as many miles, but I try hard to observe speed limits, and I rely on the database to keep me honest, especially when I am off my normal patch. Keep up the good work!
sg16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always felt that to receive free membership for life was an extremely generous offer particularly when in my case I have only contributed one speed camera in my time. In fact I would be very pleased to still be needing the membership when it runs out unless by then mobility scooters have them as built in attachments!

I believe in this community being able to help one another to keep these darned things at bay is what it is all about and not just to save £19.99 per year. (I am on a pension so am not saying this from having a fat wallet) And if you take now the cost of a speeding fine and the knock on of higher insurance premiums etc, £19.99 is a cheap price to pay.

I don't know the complexities of perhaps trying to give reduced or free membership for those who say provide say 10, 20 or more cameras, I will leave that to the boffins, but I am quite willing to surrender my free membership to retain/maintain such an excellent facility and website.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Will somebody who is clever please set up (and link here to) a poll - cross refer to this thread and ask the question "Should Free Lifetime Membership be withdrawn from existing Lifers" - simple YES, NO. I believe the result will be overwhelmingly to withdraw it.

Poll posted here

Personally I would willingly give up my membership to aid the site. I hardly use the database these days but still actively seek to keep it upto date with new submissions. But I still use it on occasion and therefore the piper must be paid.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
storri
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, how many Life Members do you have?

That would allow us to understand better the potential revenue gain by removing that privilege.

If you are only going to make changes to the benefit for new reporters (and keep all existing "Lifers") then i fear all you will do is reduce your net subscriptions further.
gasmith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you stop giving away free memberships for camera reporters then there is no incentive to report any at all. The few will still report but many people won't bother. How about instead of a free lifetime membership for the first unique report of a new camera site you put all the people in a hat who have reported each month and award one lifetime membership to the first person drawn out of the hat, or instead of making them lifetime members give each reporter free membership for a year on their next renewal. That way the users will still have an incentive to report new cameras.

While I know this is not part of the topic but can someone sort out the mass of cameras on the A23 around Bolney and Handcross in Sussex please, there are so many different cameras on the database, mobile, average speed cameras, most of them inaccurate that my Cameralert is going crazy every time I use this section of road, either Northbound or Southbound. It is currently restricted to 40mph in both directions due to road works and policed by average speed cameras until 2014 so any mobile camera sites are now redundant, some of the average speed cameras are also inaccurate as to their location.
unwanted
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a novel idea for you... all lifetime free subscribers get changed to 5 years free (after which they switch back to paying until they win again under new rules)...

new reporters get 1 following year free (which cannot be increased (or added to) until it expires)

camera removed reports get 25% discount off subs for 1 following year (which cannot be increased (or added to) until it expires)

verifiers (first 5 per spotting) get 5% discount off subs for 1 following year (which can be increased (or added to) up to 25% max, )

just an idea of course...

p.s. also charge a small fee for the app.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gasmith wrote:
If you stop giving away free memberships for camera reporters then there is no incentive to report any at all.

The incentive has always been that your reports benefit others and others benefit you. Frankly, if the only reason you report is to secure a life sub then you've missed the point entirely.

We're not proposing we stop rewarding reports, instead we're suggesting we change it to a 1 year free sub.
Quote:
While I know this is not part of the topic but can someone sort out the mass of cameras on the A23 around Bolney and Handcross in Sussex please, there are so many different cameras on the database, mobile, average speed cameras, most of them inaccurate that my Cameralert is going crazy every time I use this section of road, either Northbound or Southbound.

It's not, please start another thread. And if they are so bad, report them using the normal channels.
Birdman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: One Year Reply with quote

Current lifers continue benefit for life.

Publish a date for the new rule start in advance, say 31/12/12 for last life membership award.

New award one year added to current membership for each fixed camera.

Personally I only keep fixed camera alerts on my PND as it drove me (no pun intended) nuts hearing a warning going under every bridge on the motorways! Let's face it you can see them if you look up?

I've never posted a new camera and never likely too but I value the service and would not want to see it end.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 1 year free sub would be a fair incentive. Then perhaps their renewal should be £14.95 a year.

Existing Lifetime members could be asked to pay a 3 yearly site maintenance fee of say £14.95 so therefore some income would be received.
kshotton45
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it simple, but worthwhile. 2 years free subs is about right ( IMO ).
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
gasmith wrote:
If you stop giving away free memberships for camera reporters then there is no incentive to report any at all.

The incentive has always been that your reports benefit others and others benefit you. Frankly, if the only reason you report is to secure a life sub then you've missed the point entirely.

The database started years ago as a benefit to all. It developed to the stage where it was so big and popular that it simply couldn't be run by amateurs for free, in their spare time. That is still the case unless somebody (like gasmith?) is willing to do it for nothing - any offers? How many of us can afford to give our full time for nothing? I can't think of anybody and it needs several such somebodies. The free membership was great whilst it lasted, but let's now consign it to the depths of the real world. I don't want this site to close.

Six months free membership is the right figure. And I do like that idea of tagging everybody with the number of reports they've submitted (unfortunately, I can't see MaFt being able to add the past history, some members would show up with even more submissions than posts!).

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gasmith wrote:
If you stop giving away free memberships for camera reporters then there is no incentive to report any at all. The few will still report but many people won't bother. How about instead of a free lifetime membership ........[snip]

Surely that's precisely where this thread is leading - an alternative to giving away free membership?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 4 of 15

Jump to: