Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Totally Useless Routing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Totally Useless Routing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Totally Useless Routing Reply with quote

I purchased CoPilot Live Premium about 5 weeks ago & to say I am disappointed with their routing would be an understatement - it is totally useless & unreliable. Research on the CoPilot forum indicates that I am not alone in this view and it is a problem that’s been inherent with CoPilot Live Premium since it was launched over a year ago. Would I purchase it again – NO!

edit
I apologise to the mods if the link is not permitted, please feel free to edit
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On older versions of CoPilot you could set your own profile for routing. Have you tried doing that? It allows you to set priority for each road type as well as adding your own average speed for each road type. I found that doing this on older versions would dramatically improve the routing.

MaFt
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MaFt, you can set vehicle preferences in CoPilot v9 and I've asked for "quickest Route" and set neutral preference for all roads. CoPilot should not therefore prefer one class of road over another however, it seems loathe use B roads, the consequence of which is totally bizarre routing with long circuitous detours. Ironically, when asked for an "Alternative" route this is very often quicker than the primary route, although still ridiculous. The only way to get anything sensible is to set waypoints manually, which defeats the object of having CoPilot.

The routing is also full of anomalies where routes go through closed roads, up and down the same road or round in circles etc - some examples are posted by users on the CoPilot forum. Unfortunately, CoPilot seem to be sticking their heads in the sand and ignoring the problem.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After about 5 weeks use I asked CoPilot for a refund because in my opinion the program is not fit for purpose. It would / could not give me consistent reliable routes, which is a bare minimum requirement for a navigation program. CoPilot asked me to supply examples of the Useless Routing, which I did, but their response was to refuse a refund on the basis that I had installed & used the program, although they declined to explain how they expected me to form an opinion of the program without installing & using it.

A few weeks later, with no further progress & CoPilot doing agreat impression of an ostrich with it's head in the sand, & ignoring my further emails, I approached Google Play who were very helpful & organised a full refund without delay.

I'm sorry I had to give up on CoPilot because it's a good looking program but i just couldn't live with all the problems, & if I'd followed all their ridiculous, circuitous routes it would've cost me a fortune in fuel. Their cavalier approach to customer service was also an eye opener, & their attitude only served to alienate me.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
On older versions of CoPilot you could set your own profile for routing. Have you tried doing that? It allows you to set priority for each road type as well as adding your own average speed for each road type. I found that doing this on older versions would dramatically improve the routing.

MaFt

I think that this is half the problem..it's all very well trying to sort out road preferences, but how do you work out the ideal for your own use ? I've tried all sorts and I still get vagaries with the routing it shows.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: ? Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
MaFt wrote:

MaFt

I think that this is half the problem..it's all very well trying to sort out road preferences, but how do you work out the ideal for your own use ? I've tried all sorts and I still get vagaries with the routing it shows.

Vagaries I could handle, a 10 mile detour on a 30 mile journey I couldn't Shocked
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its designed to get you from a to b setting everything to netural did you try other settings setting speeds and settings other than neutral would give you better routing. If its a route you normally use and you know a route that's 10 miles shorter why use asatnav the first place

I use copilot everyday on multistop routes and in over s year I've not had any problems

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
Its designed to get you from a to b setting everything to netural did you try other settings setting speeds and settings other than neutral would give you better routing.

Yes & changing settings & speed didn't improve matters, the routing was still useless

alix776 wrote:
If its a route you normally use and you know a route that's 10 miles shorter why use asatnav the first place

Because I know a route doesn't mean I know the exact destination. Tell me to go to 10 Downing St, London & I wouldn't have any problem finding London, but getting to No 10 would be another matter. It's also much easier to route from home to No 10 than from the end of the M1, then if CoPilot routes me through Exeter I don't have to be a genius to know that isn't the best route, simply looking at it tells me that.

alix776 wrote:
I use copilot everyday on multistop routes and in over s year I've not had any problems

Congratulation, that's commendable.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I don't buy these its useless at routing it gives similar routes to other nav apps that use navteq data. ive never yet had a difference of 30 miles on a route between satnavs the only thing I can think of to give that kind differnce would if you were using the truck version and had set the all to truck instead of car

Looking at the copilot forum link the routes alternative routes you waypointed would have saves anything and cost more time and fuel due the type of twisty lanes

device Lumia 950 xl

Last edited by alix776 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is your prerogative, but I suggest you check out the above link where you will be able to see examples submitted by myself & others
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
Looking at the copilot forum link the routes alternative routes you waypointed would have saves anything and cost more time and fuel due the type of twisty lanes

Where does CoPilot give you a "Uses Less Fuel" option? I asked for the "Quickest Route" & in my world 30 miles / 1hr 4 mins is both Quicker & considerably shorter that the 39 miles / 1hr 12 mins primary selection by CoPilot.

Look at some of the other totally ridiculous CoPilot offerings in another thread here, how can routing that sends you either round in circles, up/down the same road or on a long detour be the Quickest route, and it certainly isn't sensible by any stretch of the imagination.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before venting yourself I live in the Southport area so I do know them roads illustrated in the original thread .

Co pilot gives me very good routes today has been 9 drops from the midlands to south Wales and tomorrow will be another 10 deliveries I've used many systems and copilotis the one I go back to above even the Garmin systems that the company give us I refused it on the basis of my navigation option being better after trying the company garmin

device Lumia 950 xl
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't actually comparing CoPilot to other navigation apps, my observations were based solely on it's ability to reliably route me from A - B in the quickest possible time which, as has been demonstrated, CoPilot simply cannot do consistently. I am, never the less pleased that you find CoPilot invaluable and doubtless there are others, but that is not the experience of everyone and we are all entitled to an opinion. Clearly, this is something we are not going to agree on, but you seem to be a personal crusade on behalf of CoPilot so I don't see any point in pursuing this rather tetchy discourse any further - enjoy!!
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be that im using truck version that produces consistent routing

device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: