Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - IPHONE / BMW BLUETOOTH
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

IPHONE / BMW BLUETOOTH
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baga
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: IPHONE / BMW BLUETOOTH Reply with quote

My question is can the bluetooth run in the background as well ? it works great when the app is open, but not when the phone is locked. I appreciate that this is not necassarily as designed but it would mean that the app would work perfectly in my car, as the phone is locked away in the armrest it is not always so clear to hear the audio, but through the bluetooth it is fantastic.
JimP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: IPHONE / BMW BLUETOOTH Reply with quote

baga wrote:
My question is can the bluetooth run in the background as well ? it works great when the app is open, but not when the phone is locked. I appreciate that this is not necassarily as designed but it would mean that the app would work perfectly in my car, as the phone is locked away in the armrest it is not always so clear to hear the audio, but through the bluetooth it is fantastic.

Hi baga,

Sorry, I can't answer your question but, just possibly, to add to the info for the CA techies...

I have a recently acquired 2012 BMW 535d. Using an iPhone 4GS with bluetooth enabled, CA active, bluetooth & fade selected on the 'Warnings' page:

1. If the iPhone charging cable is plugged into the USB in the central armrest - no CA audio warnings

2. If the iPhone charging cable is plugged into the cigarette lighter - no CA audio warnings

3. If the iPhone charging cable is plugged into the USB within the glove compartment - CA warning sounds come in perfectly via the inbuilt hands-free mobile phone system

I don't have the fancy BMW iPhone adaptor for the central armrest - do you? If yes, are you using it to have CA audio warnings work OK?

Cheers,

Jim
baga
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the fancy arm rest adaptor. The frustrating thing is with the iphone 4S in the armrest but the app open the bluetooth audio works great.

Once you close the app or put the app inthe background the audio disappears, I have been told that the bluetooth is for headsets, but i cannot see why it would only work when open and in the foreground.

My frustration comes because with the phone in the armrest the iphone speaker is difficult to hear, especially on the motorway. The bluetooth is perfect as it comes over the stereo speakers, but i cannot really leave the app open as the phone gets really hot in the armrest.

THis app is SOOO close to being perfect for me, but just not quite.

Baga.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Cameralert settings which BT mode have you selected?

I suspect that unless your car Bluetooth supports A2DP you might have accept the limitations of the HFP fix.
baga
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMW in there infinite wisdom do not support A2DP.

Still doesnt explain why you need to keep the app open if using a headset ?

surely having all modes working in background / locked would be the obvious solution, that way there would be more options.

Baga
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Us using the Bluetooth HSP mode basically means we are faking a phone call and/or a voice command sequence. Who knows, maybe Apple are not allowing that for backgrounded applications. If you can provide examples that work under HSP as you expect it then please let us know.

By the way, HSP and HFP are only mono. You cannot send a stereo sound to your car radio that way.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
zzr1200
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works fine running in the background in my 2012 5 series.

I run Tom Tom on iPhone and camera alert behind it with the phone connected via BT.

Any warnings come out through the car speakers.

If I look at the central display, it states 075** ****** calling, which is my mobile number.

Not sure why it isn't working for you.
TieJustice
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know

Works fine on my BMW 535d M sport to? I drive.
Matrick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zzr1200 wrote:

If I look at the central display, it states 075** ****** calling, which is my mobile number.

What happens if you are making a phonecall, do you still here the camera alert ?

Thanks, Matt
Matrick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did mean "hear"..... Typo Laughing [/i]
NitramA
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old post, but I wondered if anyone has managed to make CA work reliably with the BMW Idrive and an iPhone 4s?

Whatever I do I seem to get voice alerts for a short time then nothing.
I've tried all the source settings (speaker seems to be the most reliable), extended Bluetooth and the arm rest USB but it's still flakey.

And before anyone asks, yes It's set up to work in the background. :-)

Seems to be that anything that "disturbs" the connection, like a phone call or I select another app, the audio is disabled.
I notice that I still get the camera alert banner on the phone but no audio.
chriseclark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same issues also. I have an iPhone 4s and a 2014 3series with standard bluetooth/professional media. I can get alerts through the car audio system until I make a phone call and then I lose audio alerts. The only way I can work around this is to shut down the CA app after I make a call which is not ideal. As bags said back in 2012 this is so close to being perfect.I just can't rely on it 100%
NitramA
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I take it you don't have Extended Bluetooth?

After experimenting further I found that when I connect the phone to the USB in the arm rest, the car shuts down the audio Bluetooth connection (which is part of EBT).
This seems to cause a conflict with the phone and all audio is lost.

I disabled Bluetooth audio by selecting the following.

Multimedia. 
Connections. 
Bluetooth audio uncheck.  

Set CA to use Bluetooth Audio.

I deselected that and have had 100% reliable alerts.
I also used the phone and it seemed to work ok as well with no need to restart CA.
As this was only on one trip - albeit 200 miles worth I need to test further to be sure it wasn't a one off but it did seem promising.

I don't really use BT streaming anyway so it's no great loss to me and I do still get the Office functionality and the ability to connect more than one
chriseclark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct , I don't have extended bluetooth ,so I don't have the option to disable bluetooth audio.

I have my phone connected to the USB by power only , no data connection, so everything is done through bluetooth.

I am wondering if the fact that the extended bluetooth option uses A2DP is the reason it is working for you. Please let me know if it still works in a few hundred miles as there may be the possibility I can get the enhanced bluetooth coded into the car.

Many thanks.
NitramA
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried again today and the bloody thing didn't work!
No audio at all.
After a bits of messing around I did manage to get it working, which I think was down to when I started CA - either before or after I connected the USB.
Odd thing is that it's the iphone end that seems to make the difference, not the USB connection in the armrest.

I then had one CA restart after a phone call.

So more work to do.
I'm on the road over the next couple of days so I'll try again.

Have you tried using the cigarette lighter socket if it's just charging you're after?

I found that this worked much more reliably, but I want to have the Connected drive bit working which means I need to use the USB.

All this makes it unlikely I'll be renewing my subscription as it's such a pain in the backside to get it running.

I don't think the A2DP is a factor as I'm sure I read somewhere that the CA BT connection doesn't actually use it? ( maybe someone who's a bit more technical might be able to comment on that).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: