Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - London Lorry Ban Big Support A Factor In GPS Purchase
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

London Lorry Ban Big Support A Factor In GPS Purchase

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: London Lorry Ban Big Support A Factor In GPS Purchase Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comA survey by Navevo, has revealed the London Lorry Control Scheme and other regulated routes are a big concern to professional drivers.

GPS devices that are aware of the various regulated routes are now proving to be a leading factor when choosing a navigation system.

The London Lorry Ban in particular has proved to be confusing with many drivers unaware of the approved routes into and out of London when the ban is in force. Consequently, many are making long diversions in order to make deliveries in Central London when they could use more direct, approved, routes into and out of the City.

This is resulting in unnecessary additional milage and expense to the operators.

ProNav, Navevo's HGV navigation solution already includes London Lorry ban routing data alongside a suite of user oriented features such as Dynamic ETA and customisable attributes for optimised HGV and large vehicle navigation.

Commenting on the survey, Navevo CEO Nick Caesari said, “HGV navigation technology has evolved considerably over the past year and is now finally starting to be recognised by the haulage industry as a vital component of any fleet management system.”

We reviewed ProNav's PNN-300 solution recently and our resident trucker found it worked well. With almost daily media news of lorries taking unsuitable routes or getting stuck in narrow lanes it is time that owners and operators considered the benefits of investing in a navigation solution designed for large vehicle users.

covltwt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote this for another forum I'm on, and as I came across this here I thought I'd mention it. There are those that would want their SatNav's to do all the hard work for them but I think in this case, this book is a better choice than the electronic variety ;)

Well, it's full title is "The Official London Lorry Control Drivers Guide" published by The Pie Guide

URL: www.thePIEguide.com

It has content from the 'London Councils' and also the RHA, the Road Haulage Association. It doesn't cost much and I was quite frankly surprised to come across it because I would have thought it would be an essential item for truckers in London. I know some like to keep it simple but I have been sent to London for early mornings or overnight runs and items like the LEZ, CCZ and ERN don't seem that obvious to find. This book covers it well.

Contents.

Postcode Map. At first I didn't look that closely but it does help considerably and for someone who is not familiar with how it's all covered, a boon. There are some postcodes that I have heard and remembered over time, like TW for Heathrow, and DA for Kent but, well.

So, this map alone covers from Slough (SL) across to Tilbury (RM), above from Cheshunt (EN) and down to Redhill (RH). Different postcode boundaries, their numbers, names and motorways, their junctions yada yada. You get the idea. Pretty handy considering. Ooh, and a key, clearly helpful in it's own right ;)

There is also a red line that circles around showing where the 'Lorry Controls area' covers.

So that's on page 8. There are a few adverts in this A4 size guide, which I do not approve of but I guess it's space for me to put post it notes in, in later times :D

Some of the adverts are helpful though, such as a page labeled "South London Route Maps" from "South London Freight" on page 4

Beddington Lane, South Wimbledon, Kangley Bridge, Chessington, Kimpton, Kingston Town Centre and are available to download for free from : South London FQP Section or Transport for London Freight Partnerships

Page 12 & 13 gives 'London Rules of loading and unloading' with diagrams, pictures and information for motor vehicles, pedestrians and cycles/bikes

Page 14. HGV Walkaround Checks. No, seriously! Still, it has diagrams and piccies :D

Page 15. A nice table of the Boroughs and their loading and unloading suspensions and dispensations

Page 16 & 17 gives us the wonderfully titled "London Lorry Control Scheme". It basically effects use of HGVs/LGVs over 18t at night and weekends within the area they designate. The permitted road network is often referred to as the 'excluded roads' or 'excluded route network' and hence, ERN.

So you can either stick to the routes or get an exemption. If you transgress this route at night in a larger vehicle then the fine is £550 for the company and £120 for the driver. There are a list of the 5 most common breeches and one of them, the first, lists details for delivery to a supermarket that happens at night! More eek stuff to think about!!!! Subsections on how to challenge a PCN, appeal grounds for drivers and operators but quite frankly there seem to be quite limited options which are basically 'we weren't in it' or 'we're not the people you want'.

Page 18 & 19 are about the wonderful topic of Bridge strikes. Well, having not yet hit a bridge I am still a virgin in that regard but I can see how complicated it would be for some drivers who make those kind of mistakes. Such as, after coupling up not making a note of the height of the trailer and setting the machine in the cab to remind you or even missing all the signs... So yeah, right. Well. We all make mistakes.

There are listed the 10 most hit bridges in London plus details of ALL the low bridges, or in fact any restricted bridge height in London. On the maps, later, it lists such things including restricted width and weight limits.

Page 21 gives us the LEZ. The Low Emission Zone. That's been around a while, but they're always changing things.

22 & 23 give a whole area map plus some zones marked and the key for the following map pages. They last24-47 inclusive. They also show such things as the ERN and other roads. Speed cameras, popular speed cameras, shopping centres, industrial estates and the towns/villages within this great city. The bridge heights are in meters and the weights are in T, such as 17T A4000 at Acton, a light green road which has restricted night time and weekend controls. The restrictions last for Mon-Fri 9pm to 7am, Saturday is 1pm to 7am and all day Sunday. It also lists that the 'Central London Congestion Charge' is only in effect for 7am to 7pm Mon to Fri.

Pages 50 and 51 list a guide to the Central London section of the map, and show the key. Pages 52 to 63 inclusive. More advertising then pages 66 to 80 is an index, to streets and the like.

ISBN: 978-0-9551711-9-2, RRP £9.99 The PIE Guide to London for Lorries (Amazon)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

covltwt wrote:
It also lists that the 'Central London Congestion Charge' is only in effect for 7am to 7pm Mon to Fri.
And that's WRONG!!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
covltwt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
covltwt wrote:
It also lists that the 'Central London Congestion Charge' is only in effect for 7am to 7pm Mon to Fri.
And that's WRONG!!!

But you're saying everything else is right is it? ;) Then again, it also shows that you've read it all :D :D

I've got the little guide here in front of me.

There is the 'London lorry control scheme' and 'Central London Congestion Charge'

The CC is from 0700 to 1900 Mon - Fri.

The LLCS is from 2100 - 0700 Mon - Fri, 0000-0700 and 1300-2359 Sat and all day Sunday.

It also states that 'There is no congestion charge at weekends, on public holidays or the days between Christmas day and New Years day inclusive.

The LLCS is valid for commercial vehicles above 18t.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the tfl (Transport for London) website for the correct Congestion Charge times:
Quote:
07:00 to 18:00, Monday to Friday.

No charge on weekends, public holidays, between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day inclusive, or between 18:00 and 07:00.

tfl also shows the London Lorry Control Scheme hours as
Quote:
21:00 to 07:00, Monday to Saturday
13:00 Saturdays to 07:00 Mondays

which is a simpler way of putting it than the 'little guide' does, and also does NOT imply that Monday is ok up to 21.00 (it isn't ok before 07.00)!
covltwt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, probably correct I missed the 0000-0700 Monday bit. But most books have mistakes somewhere ;)

At least I tried Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud This side of the forum does seem rather quiet these days Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Cool
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

covltwt wrote:
But you're saying everything else is right is it? ;) Then again, it also shows that you've read it all :D :D

I've got the little guide here in front of me.
Sorry, I skimmed it, not read it all - lorries are not my bag. What I kindly omitted to say was that the length of your review of the "little guide" actually demonstrates the popularity of a cute little thingy that sticks on the windscreen and shouts at you to go here, there and everywhere. An 80 page book is not my idea of a handy little guide to driving in London. Back along, I used two street maps for London, very hefty lumps they were and sitting on my passenger seat were hardly the recommended method of navigation (sure, I've got eyes in the back of my head, but then I'm not driving an artic or something else terrifyingly large. Mr Plod would suggest I still should be looking at the road).

By the way, what's the difference between speed cameras and popular speed cameras? Your review, your definition? Do the popular ones attract coachloads of tourists? Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
covltwt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for starters, up until the start of this year I've not taken anything larger than 18t truck into London and before that even less. I've been in with a coach but that is an odd one in those rules as PCV/PSV doesn't count.

However. When I was in London I found that a lot of the rules and other complications were just that, so when I found there was a guide for London I did get it.

Previously I've just used the Phillips Atlas of London, and after that I had a Truckers Atlas.

I was quite annoyed to find that my Snopper S6000 wouldn't even route me INTO London even when it was set for 10t 13ft truck, I had to change it to a Coach to get where I needed to go too.

It does have quite a lot of adverts in it, but that is to be expected these days isn't it!

As for 'popular' speed cameras I would assume that they are the ones more likely to be triggered as they also list the 'Top Ten Bridge Strikes' Shocked Shocked Shocked Laughing

Having not actually hit a bridge yet and wanting it to stay that way I am at a loss how a rigid driver can not remember his vehicle height. With artics I am sure it will be more difficult what with swapping trailers and all.

But at least I tried Rolling Eyes Cool Laughing Laughing Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: