Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Enhancement requests
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Enhancement requests
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drummer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
drummer wrote:
lbendlin wrote:
Repeating the toast ad nauseam would be inconsiderate to the foreground application that the user has there for a reason - to use it.

It would only be visible during the threat zone and you could make it an option in advance settings. Perhaps a repeat every say 5 seconds would work better.

I have TomTom cameras enabled on one of my PNDs. The average speed warning (which I have set to the approximate sound of breaking wind) goes off every few seconds and is starting to drive me nuts!

Indeed. The repeat I'm suggesting should be just the visual toast if possible.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drummer wrote:
There does appear to be a desire to have a more persistent countdown by users as the current toast disappears long before you get to the threat so it can often be difficult to tell where it is.

So that would be similar to the Overspeed warning where we repeat the warning every five seconds as long as you are over the limit?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
drummer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
drummer wrote:
There does appear to be a desire to have a more persistent countdown by users as the current toast disappears long before you get to the threat so it can often be difficult to tell where it is.

So that would be similar to the Overspeed warning where we repeat the warning every five seconds as long as you are over the limit?

That's right. Although you wouldn't want the audio repeating as that would get annoying.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that can be taken care of with the silent audio.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
drummer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
that can be taken care of with the silent audio.

Indeed, but that would mean you don't get any audio alert at all. Ideally you would want an initial audio & toast warning at the threat start followed by the a visual only toast repeating until you pass the threat.

A workaround might be to use the pre-warning option for the audio alert. Is this set to go off a pre-determined before the main alert?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, it is sounding once, right before the camera announcement.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
drummer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
yes, it is sounding once, right before the camera announcement.

Perfect. So the only change to the program would be to add the option for a repeat toast notification. The rest can be achieved with what's already there.
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Ideas Reply with quote

I have an Android 2.3.5 device

- Apps like Llama can't kill CamerAlert on later Android devices. It would be good if CamerAlert could kill itself (exit) when I left my car - (on battery power AND no headphone lead plugged in AND selected Bluetooth device disconnected) This would make it one less app I have to close as part of my 'navigation' solution every time I leave the car. Actually, even a widget to toggle turning CamerAlert on/off would be easier than having to enter the app to disable it...

- An explanation of what the settings Direction Difference, Warning Cone and Warning Sensitivity actually do. Their descriptions are a little confusing/similar (to me) so with 3 of them I'm not sure what I'm adjusting. Maybe some diagrams in a FAQ (showing angles/examples) would help a lot :-)
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Llama needs to attack the CamerAlert service, not the activity. Their problem, not ours.

The settings are explained in the screen where they can be changed. Generally you want to keep them at the middle position. Can you give an example of what you find confusing? I'll leave it up to the artists in the team (or MaFt) to come up with nice diagrams.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:: Llama needs to attack the CamerAlert service, not the activity. Their problem, not ours.

Fair comment, though I think it's got to do with what APIs are available to apps on an unrooted handset - but I'm no expert. Either way, I think a widget to toggle the CamerAlert on/off would be a useful usability enhancement, if only for those who didn't want yet another app to control CamerAlert. DriveSafe.ly takes this approach, for what it's worth. Smile

:: Can you give an example of what you find confusing?

What's the differences between angle of

- Direction difference: my heading and the camera heading (how does the camera have a heading if it's not moving?) vs.

- Warning cone: my heading and the bearing to the camera

and

- Warning sensitivity: product of distance to camera and bearing to camera

I think this boils down to my lack of understanding of what these angles are if I was to look from above...
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's assume we know the difference between heading and bearing

heading: direction you are moving towards
bearing: where the stuff is that you are interested in, not necessarily the same as the heading (especially prominent with boats and planes that have to fight cross winds etc)

When we say camera heading we mean the direction of travel that you need to have to trigger the camera. So if you drive due south, the camera heading would be 180.

Direction difference: when you travel direction 45, and the camera points to 120, it is rather unlkely that the camera triggers when you pass it.

Warning cone: Even though you travel direction 45, and the camera has heading 45, your bearing to the camera is too far out from your route (in a straight line). Most likely the camera is on a parallel road.

Warning sensitivity: a formula that mixes the above together to try and judge how likely you would be reaching a particular camera any time soon, giving your speed and direction of travel relative to the camera position.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can CA be made to detect when GPS has been manually disabled and shut down? If I disable GPS, CA just continues to run but, if I recall correctly, DOES shut down after a period of no movement or loss of GPS coverage?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we only check for availability of the GPS subsystem once, at the start of the application.

I think your use case is, uhm, rare. In any case, if CamerAlert does not receive GPS updates it will also not use up any computer resources. All computations and updates are entirely triggered by receiving position updates. So if you disable GPS manually CamerAlert will basically pause.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
we only check for availability of the GPS subsystem once, at the start of the application.

I think your use case is, uhm, rare. In any case, if CamerAlert does not receive GPS updates it will also not use up any computer resources. All computations and updates are entirely triggered by receiving position updates. So if you disable GPS manually CamerAlert will basically pause.

So is a 'good' usage model to switch GPS on and off (via Tasker or Llama) under certain conditions to enable/disable CA, and CA will not consume power etc when the GPS is OFF?

There have been other suggestions for accomplishing the same thing by enabling/disabling car mode, but the stock ROM in my phone doesn't support car or dock modes since an update, sadly. So I have no other way of 'killing' CA automatically when I leave my car (as has been discussed elsewhere)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: