Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New to Satmap Active 10 Plus
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New to Satmap Active 10 Plus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amb67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: New to Satmap Active 10 Plus Reply with quote

Just got myself a used Active 10 plus after spending much time deliberating over which unit to buy. Have to say that after only a few days of ownership I'm feeling quite proud of my choice and it's all down to your posts on this fine forum. Thanks

I have some very small scratches on the screen and have been looking at the replacements on the Satmap web shop, they come in packs of three at around £16.00 plus £2.00 P+P.

I only want the one as I'm very particluar and will look after my unit like it's made of a precious metal, does anyone have a new spare screen that they would care to sell to me ata reasonable price?

Thanks in advance and keep posting, this forum is excellent.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi amb67.

Welcome to the happy band of SatMap users.

I think I have a spare new top screen somewhere but it hardly seems worthwhile looking it out, packing it, and posting it. But then I gave up using the removable screen years ago. It gets dirt and water between it and the main screen thus reducing visibility and increasing the chance of scratching the inner screen, in my view. I have a film guard on the inner screen and it works fine for me. I would recommend that you try that.

However if you really want a single top screen and no one else has one then come back and I will see if I can remember where I put it.
Satsync 1.525
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could get the 3 anyway, if you DO want to keep a top screen:

1 - however much care you take, you may still have an accident;

2 - you may sometimes need to take the cover off, which is quite fiddly (there is important advice on here how to do it), and it is quite easy to damage the cover doing that;

3 - or you could sell the other two separately on ebay, probably getting most of your money back - when I reluctantly gave up my Satmap, I sold all 3 for slightly MORE than I paid!;

The other thing you could buy (more money!), if you haven't already is a film guard like Mike mentions, but for the top screen (might be same size, don't remember). That would stop minor scratches, which are almost inevitable otherwise. Mind you, they are almost as expensive as the screen!

Enjoy your travels!
amb67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That inner screen protector idea sounds great, I think I'll be fitting one of those regardless of using the outer cover. I'm just mindful of protecting the inner srceen from damage should I have a clumsy moment and drop the unit. Rolling Eyes It happens at my age....

I seem to remember seeing some posts about screen protectors, will scour the forum again for them.... wish you could do a search just on the Satmap section rather than the whole forum. Shocked

Thanks for the offer of the screen but I think I'll try that inner screen mod and another user has PM'd me regards one and I have responded before reading this post.... Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

LostMike wrote:
Hi amb67.

Welcome to the happy band of SatMap users.

I think I have a spare new top screen somewhere but it hardly seems worthwhile looking it out, packing it, and posting it. But then I gave up using the removable screen years ago. It gets dirt and water between it and the main screen thus reducing visibility and increasing the chance of scratching the inner screen, in my view. I have a film guard on the inner screen and it works fine for me. I would recommend that you try that.

However if you really want a single top screen and no one else has one then come back and I will see if I can remember where I put it.
amb67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have been spying on me.....

I removed the outer screen to clean the inner screen, funnily enough it was dusty and guess what, yes the small tang on the shoulder broke off. Rolling Eyes

I can see that I may need all 3 screens and that inner protector.

Thanks for the replies.

BigPerk wrote:
Or you could get the 3 anyway, if you DO want to keep a top screen:

1 - however much care you take, you may still have an accident;

2 - you may sometimes need to take the cover off, which is quite fiddly (there is important advice on here how to do it), and it is quite easy to damage the cover doing that;

3 - or you could sell the other two separately on ebay, probably getting most of your money back - when I reluctantly gave up my Satmap, I sold all 3 for slightly MORE than I paid!;

The other thing you could buy (more money!), if you haven't already is a film guard like Mike mentions, but for the top screen (might be same size, don't remember). That would stop minor scratches, which are almost inevitable otherwise. Mind you, they are almost as expensive as the screen!

Enjoy your travels!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
wish you could do a search just on the Satmap section rather than the whole forum
Just add "satmap" to your search query Cool

But in this case, useful info about screen protectors could easily be posted in other forums, and protectors can usually be cut to size as long as they are bigger than a Satmap needs. So I'd search widely anyway.

I know of two makes that are fairly well rated - Zagg and (what I use) Vikuiti. They are produced for various devices, which may include Satmap, but can also deal with a specific size request otherwise. But I'm sure there are others people could tell you about.
fallenmikethebike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I've used this on my phone, satmap screen, Garmin 1340t, and also camera screens, that tend to get scratched also.
Seems easy enough to fit, and there's several years worth in a roll.
It's been good so far on my phones touch screen.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320807692065?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: