Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
Read the current newsletter! Weekly
Newsletter
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which smart phone for Memory-Map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which smart phone for Memory-Map

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ahardie
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Nov 14, 2004
Posts: 44

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Which smart phone for Memory-Map Reply with quote

I currently use a Samsung Omnia 2 with memory-Map OS mapping. I am looking to upgrade to a newer smart phone probably either Apple or Android. I like iphones but have tried out MM on my wife's 3gs and the position lags behind all the time unlike the Omnia where it only loses position if I am somewhere with a very poor view of the satellites. I also like the look of the Samsung Galaxy S2 but I see people who have used it (eg Darren Smile ) saying gps is crap on that model. Is gps much better on the newer iphone models? Is there another Android model I should consider? The other main consideration is it should have a good screen for browsing the internet, at least as good as the iphones.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier


Joined: Feb 07, 2006
Posts: 581
Location: Medway Towns, Kent

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an HTC Desire HD running Android. Memory map does not have a version that runs on android but I found an app called MMTracker, it cost me about 6 and it reads all your qct map files and does everything Memory map can do. (better in some cases)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darren
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff


Joined: 11/07/2002 14:36:40
Posts: 23848
Location: Hampshire, UK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Which smart phone for Memory-Map Reply with quote

ahardie wrote:
I also like the look of the Samsung Galaxy S2 but I see people who have used it (eg Darren Smile ) saying gps is crap on that model.

It's not an issue that affects every Android phone and, even on my SII it varies, some days it's not too bad, others its almost unusable. Also, the GPs issue you comment on with the 3GS is not one I've seen, I have MM on a 3GS and a 4 and both work fine.

As theripper has pointed out though, there is no native MM client for Android yet although one is coming, so you'd have to go with MMTracker in the interim if you opt for Android.

At the end of the day, I'd suggest you choose which phone OS suits you most first.
_________________
Darren Griffin - Editor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
ahardie
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Nov 14, 2004
Posts: 44

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theripper wrote:
I have an HTC Desire HD running Android. Memory map does not have a version that runs on android but I found an app called MMTracker, it cost me about 6 and it reads all your qct map files and does everything Memory map can do. (better in some cases)


Thanks "theripper". I forgot to say in my post that I knew that there wasn't an official Android Memory-Map app out yet so I thought nobody would be able to tell me how it ran on Android. I was just really looking for opinions on what gps was like on various phones given the fact that I read on here that the Samsung GS2 had a crap gps. That would really have been my first choice and given that my Samsung Omnia has a really good GPS I thought the Galaxy would be at least as good.
I knew nothing about the unofficial app though. That really is handy to know. Do you get reasonably quick fixes with the HTC and does it follow your position fairly accurately?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ahardie
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Nov 14, 2004
Posts: 44

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Which smart phone for Memory-Map Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
ahardie wrote:
I also like the look of the Samsung Galaxy S2 but I see people who have used it (eg Darren Smile ) saying gps is crap on that model.

It's not an issue that affects every Android phone and, even on my SII it varies, some days it's not too bad, others its almost unusable. Also, the GPs issue you comment on with the 3GS is not one I've seen, I have MM on a 3GS and a 4 and both work fine.

As theripper has pointed out though, there is no native MM client for Android yet although one is coming, so you'd have to go with MMTracker in the interim if you opt for Android.

At the end of the day, I'd suggest you choose which phone OS suits you most first.


I must have been posting at the same time as you Darren and missed your post. Thanks for the info. I must admit I only used the 3gs for about half an hour as my wife needs it and I can only use it with the free local trial map that I downloaded with the app. I will have to give it more of a test.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier


Joined: Feb 07, 2006
Posts: 581
Location: Medway Towns, Kent

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahardie wrote:
theripper wrote:
I have an HTC Desire HD running Android. Memory map does not have a version that runs on android but I found an app called MMTracker, it cost me about 6 and it reads all your qct map files and does everything Memory map can do. (better in some cases)


Thanks "theripper". I forgot to say in my post that I knew that there wasn't an official Android Memory-Map app out yet so I thought nobody would be able to tell me how it ran on Android. I was just really looking for opinions on what gps was like on various phones given the fact that I read on here that the Samsung GS2 had a crap gps. That would really have been my first choice and given that my Samsung Omnia has a really good GPS I thought the Galaxy would be at least as good.
I knew nothing about the unofficial app though. That really is handy to know. Do you get reasonably quick fixes with the HTC and does it follow your position fairly accurately?


My HTC Desire gets a fix very quickly and I have not noticed any lagging or deviations. With MMTracker it supports Tracks, waypoints and routes, it also has the ability to rotate the map screen so that direction of travel is up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Johnerz
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Feb 18, 2006
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Android phones that suffer from slow gps lock there are free apps to resolve this - and other basic gps issues for free of course in the app world, and from XDA developers forums Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message







Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB 2.0.11 © 2001 phpBB Group
phpBB port v2.1 based on Tom Nitzschner's phpbb2.0.6 upgraded to phpBB 2.0.4 standalone was developed and tested by:
ArtificialIntel, ChatServ, mikem,
sixonetonoffun and Paul Laudanski (aka Zhen-Xjell).

Version 2.1 by Nuke Cops 2003 http://www.nukecops.com

Make a Donation



CamerAlert Database

Click here for the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database

Download Speed Camera Database
19.051 (05 May 21)



WORLDWIDE SPEED CAMERA SPOTTERS WANTED!

Click here to submit camera positions to the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database


12mth Subscriber memberships awarded every week for verified new camera reports!

Submit Speed Camera Locations Now


CamerAlert Apps



iOS QR Code






Android QR Code







Terms & Privacy


GPS Shopping