Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CPL5 on 1xcf card to use on 2 pDAs ?? ALK support arrogant !
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CPL5 on 1xcf card to use on 2 pDAs ?? ALK support arrogant !

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rorywquin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: CPL5 on 1xcf card to use on 2 pDAs ?? ALK support arrogant ! Reply with quote

Hello all

My wife and I both have Ipaq 2210s ! I have purchased CPLv5 and would like to be able for us to share this software by installing it onto a cf card so that whoever needs the GPS navigation can just use the card and BT receiver!!

I spoke to the ALK support who came across rather arrogant and unfriendly and they stated that this cannot be done!! While I really like the software, I don't like it being locked to one PDA (with out the whole deactivate, uninstall, reset, install re-activate procedure - a real PITA) and cannot see the problem if it is only being installed once and only being used by one person at a time! I asked about purchasing a second license but this will cost the same price as the original !

Interestingly there is an option (which I have not yet tried) to install a quick start version to the cf incase of a hard reset - so how would this work without, a deactivation code?

Is there any software (eg TOM TOM) that would allow me to install it to one cf card that can be shared between two PDAs?
CrashBiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do understand the frustration as what you are asking is reasonable. Unfortunately there is no mechanism by which it is (currently) possible to lock the installation to 1 cf card, so if it was transportable as you'd like it would be equally easy to duplicate that cf card to a 2nd, or a 29th, and have multiple copies running simultaneously.

Perhaps some time in the future when pda's are full time internet linked a central server could check only one was authorised at any time, but given that is currently very rare the activation/deactivation system used seems to be the best of a bad set of options.

To ALK's credit, they do have one dimension of flexibility that I have not found in other nav products. I have an ALK iPAQ jacket as a GPS receiver. If I run Copilot4 on an iPAQ wearing that jacket then the iPAQ does not need to be authorised. That is to say, if Copilot detects an ALK branded GPS jacket it doesn't bother checking the license. This means my wife and I were able to pass the jacket between us to get the functionality you describe. I have no idea whether this works for non-jacket ALK receivers but may be worth a test (the product key does need to be entered on both systems by the way.)

For what it's worth, it doesn't invalidate your experience by any means but ALK phone support have been very helpful to me on several occasions since I bought cpl4 a year ago (retrieve lock code, faulty jacket, upgrade to v5).

Hope this helps

Crash

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: