Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice on TT Purchase
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on TT Purchase

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> SatNav User Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Advice on TT Purchase Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Need advice for a mate who is going to buy a SatNav for his Mrs.
We have decided on a TT, for no other reason than I have 2 and now a little more about them.
Ideally he would like one that does what the TT720 does.

UK/Euro maps, they go to France/Portugal/Greece quite a lot and would want to take the GPS unit with them.

POI support - PGPSW cameras etc.
lane guidance
Easy route planning.

LIVE services they do not want.

I have looked at the XL and XL2, and al;so the GO models, but they don't appear to take non TT pois.

Cost between £100 - £150.

My head is banging now from reading all the reviews and posts - can someone make up my mind for me as to which to recommend.

Eternally grateful.

Bob
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALL TomToms, including the new Go and Via models can use third party POIs now.
(The new ones caused panic for a while because they couldn't at first).

They can also have audio alerts for the POIs, so you can have your speed camera warnings.

No current TT model has the "extras" that the Go720 had, like FM transmitter, mp3 player etc.

Other big things missing from new models include the Itinerary planning feature.

But apart from that, there are some nice features like bigger screens better voice control and faster route planning.

If they don't want "LIVE" services, why not just get a model that does have them and enjoy the free 6 months then don't subscribe?

The best model comparison I know is in a spreadsheet done on the US user forum, but it includes the UK models too.

Get it here.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic, cheers Andy.

I think he was settling on the Xl or XXL, doesn't need the Live services, but does need easy route planning and POI/Text to speech. She does a lot of mileage every week (days away from home) and they do drive in EU a lot.
Want to make sure there is an expansion card or enough memory for map upgrades etc.

I'll have a look through the link and check out the comparisons.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:
I think he was settling on the Xl or XXL, doesn't need the Live services, but does need easy route planning and POI/Text to speech.

I didn't think the XL or XXL offered Text to Speech?
Samsung Galaxy S21
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anita,

I think that was probably down to me, and trying to explain what the different models did/did not have.
Neither of them are particularly Tech savvy, it's fair to say, and by the time I had tried to explain what was on offer, I had forgotten which ones did what.

My head was spinning at the end of an hour of flitting back and forth between the reviews of models here, the TT site, Amazon and Halfords - I needed a Scotch and it was even midday!!

Going to go back and start over again this weekend, take my time.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where this gets really messy is the XL IQ was offered for sale with Text To Speech (TTS) enabled when sold in a few countries including Germany, sadly the UK models were never offered with TTS.
It was possible to enable TTS on the UK version of the XL IQ/ XL IQ Live but doing so involved the use of one specific file from a rather dubious source, TomTom took a rather dim view of this sort of hacking so its best we don't go any further down that route.

Another point to consider is the XL IQ doesn't have a memory card slot, to be honest I would have a look at whats available on Amazon, consider the Go-750 Live but also look at the prices for the Go-950 Live (as a hint its currently cheaper than the 750 Live - Go Figure, although its £13 above your max budget figure).

Both models have everything you will need, use the free Live subscription until it expires then ignore the subscription, this won't alter what the unit can do at a basic level, your TTS, European maps etc will all still work. With the 950 Live you get the addition of North American Maps and Enhanced Positioning Technology (EPT) for working out where you are in tunnels etc

Go and open the lagavulin as I am sure you will need one by now, sit back and relax - Mike
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="

Go and open the lagavulin as I am sure you will need one by now, sit back and relax - Mike[/quote]

excellent advice Mike,
Have my hand on a bottle of Lagavulin double matured Distillers Edition, distilled in 1993 and bottled in 2009.

Bob
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I'm on the scrounge again - sorry.

My mate has bought the TT950, well it's in the post apparently.
Like I say, it's for his Mrs who travels a lot and away for 3/4 days at a time, usually alone.

I was wondering about the best dash board mount for it, she will be using it for hands free on the mobile.
I don't think they like the idea of ring marks on the window in case someones little darling takes it upon themselves to break a window just to see if it's there.

I mentioned about dashboard/airvent mounts, and now of course I have to come up with something.

A virtual beer for any help!

Bob

Edit,

Sorry should mention I know about passive and active mounts, and had a look at the Brodit site. But any practical advice appreciated, and would they need an active mount.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I may have it sorted.

They have a Volvo at the moment, but looking to change it after the New Year.

So thinking that a bean bag thing or one of the discs may be better, and more universal. Assuming they have a flat space for them.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> SatNav User Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: