Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go 520 charging problem - SOLVED
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go 520 charging problem - SOLVED
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpspcb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Go 520 charging problem - SOLVED Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Don't know if you can help but my problem is that my tomtom doesn't charge up in the car for some reason. The power light illuminates which is strange.

Charging in the dock that is attached to my pc is problem free and the battery will last me a good 4hrs when fully charged.

I've considered the car charger being faulty so I tried one of these universal chargers that have all the attachments for various phones etc and that doesn't charge it up either (power light illuminates).

I have a pda which I use for work and that uses the same cigarette lighter socket and it charges ok. I've even tried pulling that out and just using the tomtom. No joy.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Last edited by gpspcb on Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any car charger to be used with a TomTom should be generally rated at 5V and capable of delivering 2 Amps, most universal car chargers don't supply enough current, consider getting a replacement TomTom charger or look very carefully at the rating of any third party chargers - Mike
gpspcb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that quick reply but I'm worried now. Did I just stick 12v up it and did it cause it any harm. Hope not. I'll buy a new one from that quality online shop eBay Laughing Out Loud.

cheers.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the charger you used had a mini USB plug moulded on to the lead then it will have been fine, only issue is whether the unit would have enough output current to power AND charge the device.

Why not take a trip to your local Halfords and purchase a new TomTom car charger, ask at the counter as they might have some unboxed for next to nothing (they don't put these on show, you have to ask) - Mike
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting; I'm using the TT highspeed multicharger with my 550. I find the 1amp outlet just about maintains the charge level, but the 2.1amp outlet keeps it fully charged. I think most of the TT chargers, supplied with devices, are rated at 2amp?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
gpspcb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got my hands on a working replacement and it didn't charge my tomtom. Something must have died on the circuitry. Interesting that it works in the dock!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gpspcb wrote:
Something must have died on the circuitry. Interesting that it works in the dock!

More than interesting... downright confusing!
Later models use a different connector to get the power from the dock into the main device, but on the Go520 it's using exactly the same connector. So I don't see how any of the internal components can be affecting it.

Also, I think the "third-party chargers not supplying enough current" issue is a red herring here, as you say that you can charge OK from the PC dock.
A PC is only capable of supplying around 1/2 an Amp on any USB port, so any 5V charger rated over 500mA SHOULD be capable of charging the Go, although it will do it a lot slower than a proper TT-branded car charger (or equivalent) should.

Was your "working replacement" a genuine TomTom one?

I'm usually pretty scathing of the idea that you should only use genuine manufacturer's accessories, but in this case, you seem to have done everything right so I don't know what else to suggest.
Could you borrow one from a friend?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem some time ago with my 940 in that it would not charge in the car even though the LED was showing orange and I thought I had a fault with the car power (from the Carcomm handsfree car kit) to the TomTom. I could not find any issue with the USB power in the car as it charged other devices. In the end when I had to do a backup restore for other reasons it started charging in the car again.

My assumption was that the charging is controlled by the software rather than purely the hardware and something had become corrupted in the software. This might be totally wrong, but I cannot think of another reason why restoring the software from a backup would cure a charging problem. Maybe take a look in this area?
gpspcb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Was your "working replacement" a genuine TomTom one?

Could you borrow one from a friend?

Thanks Andy, glad you think it's strange too. Thought I was going bonkers. It wasn't genuine but it says 12v input, 5v output 1A. It's all a bit much and I really do need a working satnav for work. I'm wondering if I should by a new one and then see if I can get this 520 working when I have more time.

What do you think I should buy? I don't need one that gives me all the latest traffic, bluetooth or mp3, just a wide screen one that I can put my own ov2 poi's on with pgpsw poi's and speed cameras. I can spend up to £200ish (bang goes my wages) but I'd rather it be cheaper. Would appreciate your expert advice.

Thanks
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gpspcb wrote:
I really do need a working satnav for work.

Ah hang on... Are you saying it doesn't work at all in the car (or with the car charger). You said it just wasn't charging....

TBH, that doesn't give me any further clues, but it might help someone think of something.

If you want to stick with TomTom, and don't need the extras you mentioned, check out the entry-level Start 20 (normal 4.3" widescreen) or Start 25 (same but 5" screen), or going a bit upmarket, the VIA models.

All of those can accept your POI files and the PGPSW camera database.
gpspcb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Ah hang on... Are you saying it doesn't work at all in the car (or with the car charger). You said it just wasn't charging...

It's just not charging in the car. I meant to say a 'fully working' satnav. I've just tried another car lighter socket just to be sure. Not charging there either.

Andy_P wrote:
If you want to stick with TomTom, and don't need the extras you mentioned, check out the entry-level Start 20 (normal 4.3" widescreen) or Start 25 (same but 5" screen), or going a bit upmarket, the VIA models.

Thanks for the recommendations. I will go have a look for a review on youtube. And thanks again for your help on this. I really do appreciate it.

Best, Pete
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only other idea I have is that the battery is shot, while its charging connected to the PC my guess the TomTom is switched off, when its in the car the device is powered up and working. The combined load of the device and a duff battery is too much for the car charger so it doesn't charge the battery.
Might be worth trying a replacement battery before getting a new toy - Mike
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it not the length og time the TT stays on after a long charge be an indication of the state of the battery?
gpspcb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Would it not the length og time the TT stays on after a long charge be an indication of the state of the battery?

It lasts a good 3-4hrs after the pc has charged it overnight.
I've noticed that when I plug it into the car, the word "charging" appears for about 3 seconds and it appears to charge for that brief moment and then the word disappears and then it starts to drain. It's weird.

I tried Mr T's suggestion of restore/backup but that didn't work either.

Think I'll buy a garmin Laughing Out Loud - or a via 120 - comet are doing them for £129.99
gpspcb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Solved! Reply with quote

Solved it.

I thought I'd cut the beast open as I committed myself to buying a via 120 tomorrow from comet. In it's belly I found a little black chip thingy that was sitting sideways to the rest of the other little black chip thingies. I tried to straighten it but it came off.

Now I know what you're thinking - I must have dropped it recently! You're probably right but I can't remember a drop coinciding with it suddenly not working. It's been a sturdy booger and I've had it a good few years now, used it every day too.

I got a soldering iron so I thought I'd have a go, guessing which way around it went and to my delight, it worked! Hoorah! So Happy I don't have to spend my wages on a new one.

Here's a picture of the black thingy in question. Thanks all for your time and help. You're truly heroes of the satnav world for helping out and making life easier for every1.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/821/go520.jpg/

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: