Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - replace garmin edge with satmap active 10 bike
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

replace garmin edge with satmap active 10 bike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
37p
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: replace garmin edge with satmap active 10 bike Reply with quote

i usea garmin edge 205 to track my cycling routes, times, sppeds etc. I would find it very useful as I now use the bike more and more for work traveling to clients offices and homes to have a map on the cycle computer so the satmap appears a very good choice. I do however want to keep my records of routes and distances times speeds etc. Can the sat map upload the data to a computer and keep it as the garmin does with it's training centre software? also how good it the waterproofing on the unit? I have had the garming in rain so heavy I have had to stop cycling but theunit has remained dry and functioned perfectly even if my cateye light dist fill up.
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

There should be no fundamental problems with transferring basic Routes, Tracks, etc. between Satmap and PC, but the "post processing" of the data that can be done with Satsync (or whatever other software you choose to use) may be different to that available with the Garmin software (which you may still be able to use with the GPX file format).

The Satmap does not have as high a "waterproofness" rating as Garmins, so you might have problems.

However, the main issue might be: how useful are the OS 1:50k (Landranger) maps for your purposes? They rarely have street names, etc.. AFAIK the only other alternative for the Satmap is the 1:25k (Explorer) maps which can be frighteningly expensive (and still rarely have street names, etc.). No OS maps have the "autorouting" capability of (some) Garmin GPSs and maps.

This is not a recommendation (since I own none of these products) but have you considered the Memory Map Adventurer 3500? You can load the (free) 1:10k "OS Streetview" maps (and even install a postcode database), it has the same size screen as the Satmap and claims to have a higher waterproofness rating (similar to Garmins).

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
37p
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for taking the time to reply. I will have to sit down and go through all the details for this and other units, edge 800 bryton rider 50 etc. I stupidly thought it would be an easy thing to do! I have discovered that the satmap is rated at IP65 (dustproof and weather-resistant) or IP67 with the ProSHIELD, the silicon protective case. So it may not be suitable as time, tide and weather wit for no man and you don't want to be stuck lost in the rain looking at £350+ worth of dead electronics thinking how much is that going to cost to fix? And how the heck do I get where I need to be
spunkym
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my Active 10 out in the heaveiest of downpours and it's never failed to function. It gets water between the replaceable outer screen and the inner screen but easy enough to unclip and dry it off. It never gets inside the unit.

Most of the 1:25,000 maps come with 1:10,000 street view maps now so you can get street names for most roads, but you still don't get turn by turn directions on the Satmap so i would never rely on it for road navigation - it's not what it is designed for.
rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take all these claimed IP ratings with a pinch of salt. The Satmap (without Proshield rubber case) isn't waterproof only water resistant. However I've used my Satmap for cycling in all weathers for over 2 years now and it's only let me down twice due to water ingress into the battery compartment during very heavy rain, on both occasions it was fine after drying out. Having said that I've now purchased a Proshield for those club runs in a torrential downpour Smile

Yes it works fine importing and exporting .gpx tracks & routes from other applications, here's some examples I've recorded:

http://ridewithgps.com/users/25302

I find the 1:50k OS maps best for cycling.

Despite Memory Map claiming IPx7 for the 3500 there are many reports of users having experienced failed unit due to water damage.
37p
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I need turn by turn maps, sometimes in the middle of nowhere all you need is a good indication of which turn to take ie this one or the next. If you can set a destination and then see where that is in relation to where you are and see that a road goes in that general direction the fact that a shorter route is available is not too important.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They call that crystal ball navigation Very Happy
37p
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well thats the way it is sometimes. I get directions from people along the lines of "go past where the bus shelter used to be then secondleft" so any help is useful. At the momentit is notes on a pieceof paer or using the maps on my blackberry, which is not good for battery life and also i keep having to stop and open the piece of paper, usually near a junction. The problem with the garminand edge iswhat is meantby base maps, or road bundle against navigation bundle? I am propared to spend the money but want to only spend it once!

I was once given an address of Station Road Essex. I kid you not!
spunkym
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you still wouldn't be able to easily select a town or street to navigate to unless you knew where it was on the map, it's coords or the postcode.

There is no other way to select a destination on the A10. So you would struggle with station road, Essex unless you knew where it was on the map.

Last edited by spunkym on Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
37p
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i struggled with it because i did not have a town I'm not sure how many station roads there are in Essex but usualy these days people will give a postcodewhen asked.
rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Satmap is not a Satnav, if you need auto-routing get something a Garmin Edge 800. I use my Satmap by preparing routes beforehand in Memory Map and then following the route when out cycling.
spunkym
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you still wouldn't be able to easily select a town or street to navigate to unless you knew where it was on the map, it's coords or the postcode.

There is no other way to select a destination on the A10

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: