Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ALK Launch CoPilot Live Premium
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ALK Launch CoPilot Live Premium
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Install PGW cams Reply with quote

This is great news - thanks to PGPSW for informing us of th discount which i suddenly remembered in the middle of the night and snapped it up this morning.

I'm new to ALK, and I know there was a convoluted method of installing the PGPSW POIs onto V8 which put me off. But reports here suggest its easier to install on this new premium version.

Can a wise person post a quick dummies guide so I can give it a try on android (Galaxy S). I gather that the V8 separate files can be copied onto the phone SD card via USB link. What about the ALK files - they need to be deleted incl the related 'hidden' files? Can it be that simple Shocked

Im gagging to give this a go and see the PGW cams actually on the map rather than just via CamerAlert. Does this mean i can finally retire my Asus MyPal with Destinator
Razz
fredbloggs123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Install PGW cams Reply with quote

willton wrote:
This is great news - thanks to PGPSW for informing us of th discount which i suddenly remembered in the middle of the night and snapped it up this morning.

I'm new to ALK, and I know there was a convoluted method of installing the PGPSW POIs onto V8 which put me off. But reports here suggest its easier to install on this new premium version.

Can a wise person post a quick dummies guide so I can give it a try on android (Galaxy S). I gather that the V8 separate files can be copied onto the phone SD card via USB link. What about the ALK files - they need to be deleted incl the related 'hidden' files? Can it be that simple Shocked

Im gagging to give this a go and see the PGW cams actually on the map rather than just via CamerAlert. Does this mean i can finally retire my Asus MyPal with Destinator
Razz

Connect phone to PC via USB. Copy all the PocketGPSWorld csv and png files into /com.alk.copilot.eumarket.premiumeumaj/save. Disconnect phone from PC then start Copilot. With V9 it will automaticaly install cameras. Then tap Menu, Settings, Map Display, Show POI's on map, Always and then Currently Displayed POI's. Scroll down list and check Safety Camera is ticked. Then just back all the way out. Job done.
RCMarten
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Cameras Reply with quote

fredbloggs123 wrote:
I agree 'mordorf' it looks like Pocket world cameras just use the standard copilot camera icon.

Has anyone had any joy removing the standard safetycam icon and getting pgpsw icons to display according to POI type, redlight, gatso etc?
dave_a
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone asking about traffic, I used this today for the first time on a 50 mile trip. It is better than v8 but there are still improvements that can be made. A lot of the following is from memory and it is only one small test and I might have missed something in the menus to bring up details of traffic incidents for example

Firstly, someone was asking about a subscription purchased with v8. It had no problem recognising that I had an active copilot traffic subscription bought originally with v8 which I was concerned about with licensing issues I have had with the main application in the past.

While driving along the M4, after a while it picked up a minor incident near the end of the route and the traffic display bar was shown on the right hand side. The route is shown as a green bar which has yellow or red colours to indicate where the traffic incidents are relative to your current position and the length indicates the distance over which the incident occurs. At the bottom it shows the total time delay. There are screenshots on the copilot site that show this.

Clicking on the bar brings up the map and shows a green route with orange or red where the incidents are which is similar to google but google is clearer because copilot shows a green border along the whole route so a major incident is shown as a red line with a green outline. Not sure why it just can't be red?? If the delay is short, it is almost impossible to see because there will be a small yellow/red dot surrounded by green!

Also I could not find a way to get a description of the incident which is a little annoying. I am not sure what would happen if the incident involves a road closure! In the previous version I think it told you if there was an accident or delays due to roadworks? Not too sure if I am remembering correctly.

Soon after this I hit a queue which copilot hadn't warned me about. Switching to the radio suggested that an accident had happened 15 min preciously and switching to Google maps clearly showed the delay. I was stuck for about another 15 min and copilot never showed the delay. I know the traffic information is release independent but just another example of where Google is often better and improving all the time.

After I got through this traffic, the 1 min delay had changed to about 15 min delay and I got the warning asking if I wanted to re-route. However I was told there was no quicker route and clicking this brought up a display with the current route and one alternative route which was the same time and distance. I assume this was actually the same route as the current route but at this point the app froze and I had to kill and restart.

By the time I had restarted, the delay had 'gone' so couldn't test any further.

I have some further comments/issues:

- Max distance to show traffic is still 100 miles. I don't like this if I am driving long distances and I have more than 1 option to start with.
- The minimum traffic update interval is now 5 min! Previously in v8 it was 1 min, why change this??? When approaching an incident, I like to decrease the interval to get regular updates to see if it is worth trying a different route but now I have to go to the active traffic map in the menu to get the latest information.
- This brings up another point. Traffic is not listed on the quick menu. Instead I need a few clicks to get to the traffic (assuming there are no incidents and the traffic bar is not displayed). One option on the quick menu is 'Walk'! I know not everyone has traffic subscription but do ALK think that when driving along a motorway at 70, I suddenly want to get out and walk the rest of the way?? Just another example of poor UI design in my opinion
- I can't find a way to look at traffic on other roads. For example, if I approach Birmingham and it shows the M6 is busy, I don't think the map will show what the M5 or M6 toll is like. Hopefully the 'alternative routes' will take this into account.

In conclusion, I think the better display bar for the traffic means that overall it is an improvement and hopefully the alternative routes will not cause crashes every time. But it is still not good enough and I would not be surprised if Google have further improved their traffic by the time my subscription comes up for renewal.
ngoldman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: help with importing poi sets please Reply with quote

imarsh wrote:
Definate improvement over v8, feels much slicker than the old one. And they finally sorted out the importation of the PGPSW POI files. The directory name has changed slightly (now: /sdcard/com.alk.copilit.eumarket.premiumeumaj/save/) but you can upload all the data files in one go and CoPilot will import all of them now! Very Happy Added bonus that you can actually read the camera warning when it comes up too. Shocked

On my HTC Desire Z the directory is /sdcard/com.alk.copilit.eumarket.premiumeupan/save and I also have a directory /sdcard/com.alk.copilit.eumarket.premiumeupan/EU/save

When I drop .ov2 (and corresponding .bmp) files in either of those and restart CoPilot it seems to find them, displays "New POI Set Found" and gives me a chance to edit the name. But then when I press "Next" it I get a "Pick A Category" screen with a "New Category" option at the bottom, but nothing I do next makes any sense to me. I could expect to choose "New Category" and get to choose a name perhaps, but instead I just get thrown to the choose a destination screen and my POIs are nowhere to be seen.

Can anyone offer any help?

Nick Goldman
ngoldman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imarsh wrote:
Definate improvement over v8, feels much slicker than the old one. And they finally sorted out the importation of the PGPSW POI files. The directory name has changed slightly (now: /sdcard/com.alk.copilit.eumarket.premiumeumaj/save/) but you can upload all the data files in one go and CoPilot will import all of them now! Very Happy Added bonus that you can actually read the camera warning when it comes up too. Shocked

On my HTC Desire Z the directory is /sdcard/com.alk.copilit.eumarket.premiumeupan/save and I also have a directory /sdcard/com.alk.copilit.eumarket.premiumeupan/EU/save

When I drop .ov2 (and corresponding .bmp) files in either of those and restart CoPilot it seems to find them, displays "New POI Set Found" and gives me a chance to edit the name. But then when I press "Next" it I get a "Pick A Category" screen with a "New Category" option at the bottom, but nothing I do next makes any sense to me. I could expect to choose "New Category" and get to choose a name perhaps, but instead I just get thrown to the choose a destination screen and my POIs are nowhere to be seen.

Can anyone offer any help?

Nick Goldman
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Install PGW cams Reply with quote

ngoldman ... Try this - the files you are using are different to fredbloggs123 successful install:

fredbloggs123 wrote:
Connect phone to PC via USB. Copy all the PocketGPSWorld csv and png files into /com.alk.copilot.eumarket.premiumeumaj/save. Disconnect phone from PC then start Copilot. With V9 it will automaticaly install cameras. Then tap Menu, Settings, Map Display, Show POI's on map, Always and then Currently Displayed POI's. Scroll down list and check Safety Camera is ticked. Then just back all the way out. Job done.
ngoldman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Install PGW cams Reply with quote

willton wrote:
ngoldman ... Try this - the files you are using are different to fredbloggs123 successful install:

fredbloggs123 wrote:

This is no better for me. On restarting CoPilot, I get "New POI Set Found" and the opportunity to edit the set name. When I select "Next", I get a "Pick a Category" screen where I can choose existing categories or choose "New Category". When I select New Category, I get the usual Destination choice screen (Address, My Places, POIs, etc.). My POIs are *not* present in the POI section.

Nick Goldman
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you got rid of all the old ALK camera stuff ?
ngoldman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willton wrote:
have you got rid of all the old ALK camera stuff ?

Yes, I have (and it's not camera stuff, I have lots of POI sets I want to import).

Nick Goldman
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is an open issue re POI importing to v9. although it is possible to get the cameras working I understand, other POIs dont.

you should check on the ALK forums
http://getsatisfaction.com/copilotlive/problems/active
ngoldman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willton wrote:
there is an open issue re POI importing to v9. although it is possible to get the cameras working I understand, other POIs dont.

you should check on the ALK forums
http://getsatisfaction.com/copilotlive/problems/active

Thanks. I've found that now and indeed it seems to be a big issue for many people. Like everyone else, I hope it gets resolved soon!

Nick Goldman
Scottmeister71
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: It's now here for iPhone Reply with quote

Has anybody yet to to try this on their iPhone?

It's getting very mixed reviews on the app store but it seems a lot of this is related to the maps not showing, but I believe there's a simple step to resolve this, so the rating may be unfairly low at the moment.

However, apparently the text to speech is less reliable that v8 at getting the pronunciation correct for streets.

The other thing mentioned is that the speed cameras son't show on the maps.

I'd be interested to get any views before buying this. Incidentally it's on for half price at £14.99 for the next few days for the UK version.
tivoboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: confusing Reply with quote

I have to say, ALK has always been able to confuse the customer with so many versions.

ONE issue with this new version is for North America. The legacy CPL NA included Canada, while the new CP USA (the only NA version I can find) does NOT include canada. So, a user with CPLNA, will have to buy CP USA and then ADD Canada for a fee.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Premium on iPhone for some weeks now and it works very well. Works fine under iOS5 Beta too unlike TomTom which has some issues at present.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: