Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Official Voice Packs Now Available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Official Voice Packs Now Available
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Official Voice Packs Now Available Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
We have, for quite some time, offered additional voice alerts for the handful of SatNav devices that can use them. These were, however, community offerings and while the database has been expanding (such as with pMobile files and the higher European speeds) the voice alerts have not always kept up to date.

Last year we went to great expense and hired professional voice artists to record a whole set of warnings for our CamerAlert smartphone app. Moderator Andy_P has now done a sterling job of hacking all these recordings together to create almost 2,000 individual files that we can now offer as official PocketGPSWorld.com Voice Packs for our Speed Camera Database.

What's more, these files can be downloaded in the same zip file as your main database - all named correctly to match the downloaded files. If your download doesn't need a 130kmh warning then you won't get that file; if you do then it will be included.

There are four options available: Male and Female, with or without a 'chime' prefix. The voice packs are currently available with the following downloads: TomTom OV2 (ogg), Garmin POILoader (mp3/wav), Navman/Mio (wav) and McGuider/Sygic Mobile Maps (ogg). If you know of any other systems that are compatible then please let us know and we can add support for them!

Please note: the 'download same again' will not download the voice packs as it assumes that you still have these from last time!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can they be downloaded separately as ogg files so that I can patch them inti iGO?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Can they be downloaded separately as ogg files so that I can patch them inti iGO?

does igo use ogg files? if so i can add 'ogg' files as a download option for igo.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work Very Happy

I had already hacked the old set about to remove not only the bongs but also the leading word "warning".

These new voices are perfect in that they just have the required wording to get the message across.

Replacing "Gatso" with "Fixed" is another plus Smile
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
freedy50
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Excellent work Very Happy

I had already hacked the old set about to remove not only the bongs but also the leading word "warning".

These new voices are perfect in that they just have the required wording to get the message across.

Replacing "Gatso" with "Fixed" is another plus Smile

I seem to be thinking the opposite of this.

I preferred the whole phrase "Warning, Gatso ahead. Speed limit xx miles per hour". & "This is an average speed camera zone. Speed limit XX miles per hour", but saying that it kept spluttering & giving me the warning in 2 parts which I was getting very fed up about.

I'll try the new ones on the way to work & see how it does. Will probably just need getting used to.
zebsogo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Cool Reply with quote

Cool

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
M8TJT wrote:
does igo use ogg files? if so i can add 'ogg' files as a download option for igo.
Yes, it will play them, my present ones are ogg. But you have to have a third party skin to get the voice alerts for cameras.
So for standard iGO, they are not required, but would be useful as an additional download for those geeks who change things around in iGO just because they can Very Happy I've just noticed your wording mentions 'optional', I would not want you to automatically download them to people who don't want/need them. There is a good possibility that they will have to be reprocessed/split etc because of the way the skin camera voice alert works.
cdrider1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do I get these and how do I install them please?
SteveOsl
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Voices for CoPilot 8 Reply with quote

Are there any voices availalble (or any planned) for CoPilot 8 for WM 6.5?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdrider1 wrote:
Where do I get these and how do I install them please?

If they are compatible with your selected system then an option will show on the download page. You install them along with your speed camera database but this will differ for each system.

-Old TomTom's: copy them in to the map folder along with .bmp and .ov2 files
-New TomTom's: upload them using myTomTom in the same section as the .ov2 and .bmp files
-Garmin: keep them in same folder as .csv and .bmp files and then install as usual with POILoader
-McGuider / Sygic Mobile Maps: copy to the audio folder as described in the installation guide
-Navman / Mio: select the audio file when adding POI groups in SMart ST / MioMore desktop software.
-iGO: you need a certain skin to allow the warnings - feel free to ask for help in the forums for this!!

MaFt
Sproing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any preview links so I can hear what each one sounds like? Seems a bit of a waste to download both the male and female voice packs to see which one you prefer Very Happy

Thanks
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Voices for CoPilot 8 Reply with quote

SteveOsl wrote:

Does CoPilot 8 allow custom warning sounds? I didn't think it did. Like with Speed Cameras, we can only offer the files if the device is able to use them!

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sproing wrote:
Are there any preview links so I can hear what each one sounds like? Seems a bit of a waste to download both the male and female voice packs to see which one you prefer Very Happy

Thanks

Ah yes, gimme 10 minutes Smile
SteveOsl
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Voices for CoPilot 8 Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
SteveOsl wrote:

Does CoPilot 8 allow custom warning sounds? I didn't think it did. Like with Speed Cameras, we can only offer the files if the device is able to use them!

MaFt

That's a good point MaFt thanks, bit of a daft question retrospectively Sad

Steve
highmead
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: New voice warnings Reply with quote

Do I need to uninstall the old voice warnings before or after downloading the new ones?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: