Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Wide-Range Average Speed Camera System Approved
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Wide-Range Average Speed Camera System Approved
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: New Wide-Range Average Speed Camera System Approved Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
PIPS Technology have now received Home Office Type Approval for their SpeedSpike average speed camera system. This means it can now be used for enforcement and prosecution of speeding offences.

Similar to the competing SPECS 3, SpeedSpike can monitor speeds across a wide area with a network of up to 1000 cameras. They give example uses for enforcing speeds on motorways, urban roads, town centres and school zones.

The product description states:

"PIPS has developed a cost effective distance over time speed enforcement system called SpeedSpike.

SpeedSpike can be used site to site, (any lane to any lane), as a road network solution. The SpeedSpike system consists of a single integral ANPR unit, which is easy to install with minimal urban streetscape impact, and a SpeedSpike server. The SpeedSpike Server is configured with the site-IDs and camera-IDs of the deployed cameras, with the distances between sites and the enforcement speed for the linked sites. The enforcement speed may be independently set as site-A to site-B and site-B to site-A, with each link having a separate enforcement speed if required. Violations are detected between any camera on one site and any camera on another site. SpeedSpike is a cost effective solution, which can provide a complete road network solution for up to 1000 cameras, linked via GPRS (or ADSL), to the SpeedSpike in-station enforcing speeds from 20 – 140mph.
"

The full press release is available here.
caravanj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's just go back to a man with a red flag walking in front of a car!!!!!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Let's just go back to a man with a red flag walking in front of a car!!!!!
He'd have to be an Olympic++ standard walker if he was going to be detected by this system ...
Stand-Offish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedSpike is the most exciting product launch of the last 10 years and it is a fantastic new offering to the traffic technology industry.

Exciting? Depressing more like.
When will this nonsense ever end?
When there is a speed camera on every lamppost?

The real idiots on the road need addressing not the thousands that creep a tiny bit over speed limits. Money-raising masquerading as safety. It stinks.

Just stick to the speed limits boys, and if you all do we'll simply lower them.
TieJustice
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABOUT TIME

guess we will ALL have to do the speed limit as it was intended? or you can pay for being stupid and speeding.

Just think if no one was speeding there would be no cameras as there would be no income to be made.

well we will all have to do the speed limit and about time too, there a far to many BAD drivers on the road with out the speeders.

watching today's drivers, what has happened to indicators and lights NO mobiles ???. I bet you on a daily commute to and from work you will see some one on there mobile or can not be bothered to signal there intentions or faulty lights (no brake lights)

This country is far to soft on law breakers, bring in on the spot fines for speeding, lights not working, and mobiles, and if you cant pay impound fees for the car, then sell them off for the police funds.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention d*** heads that drive around with their fog lights on

Edit to corect speelin

Last edited by M8TJT on Fri May 06, 2011 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to play devil's advocate here, perhaps now there are more cameras for speed offences then the police can concentrate on bad drivers using mobiles, making illegal turns etc...?

MaFt
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not to mention d*** heads that drive around with their fog lights on
You've said it M8TJT! Evil or Very Mad

What really p****s me off is that there are so many of them driving around without a care in the world - I got pulled up by the police for this when I was driving through repeated pathes of fog, and the one time I decided not to turn them off (because I fully expected, and got, another fogbank shortly after, AND was by then suffering from RSI) Sad ). The occifer simply said 'Well, you're not in fog now' - so correct, and SO unhelpful Twisted Evil

I get worked up about all the broken lights as well that TieJustice mentions, that no one in the police seem to care about, as my guilt complex convinces me that if I don't sort mine out straightaway, I'm going to get booked. And my guilty look probably ensures that I would (a bit like the Customs Green Channel Laughing )
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say about time they introduced speed cameras around schools ,now hopefully it will catch many more idiots that drive these roads.
As a driver I see many many idiots on the road speeding deliberately.. I learnt the hard way and am now grateful for it
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And having just been to ANOTHER fatal accident where a man died (after being hit by an idiot who lost control of his car because he was driving too fast) the more speed cameras the better as far as I'm concerned. As said above, if drivers didn't speed we wouldn't need speed cameras Evil or Very Mad
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
just to play devil's advocate here, perhaps now there are more cameras for speed offences then the police can concentrate on bad drivers using mobiles, making illegal turns etc...?
Ha Ha.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
..... the more speed cameras the better as far as I'm concerned.
We don't need more speed cams, just keep all unmarried men under about 35 off the road Burn In Hell On Fire
I'm now going to hide and read my Daily Mail Very Happy
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
And having just been to ANOTHER fatal accident where a man died (after being hit by an idiot who lost control of his car because he was driving too fast) the more speed cameras the better as far as I'm concerned. As said above, if drivers didn't speed we wouldn't need speed cameras Evil or Very Mad

while that is a sad situation it's unlikely never to happen. no matter how many speed cameras there are there will still be joyriders. they simply don't care for speed cameras (it's not their car so won't get a fine!). there will be those who obscure their number plates, those who have fake plates etc. none of these will be prosecuted if caught speeding by a speed camera.

now, real police could do it, but not an automated camera. this is why myself, and a lot of other people here, don't like speed cameras. they don't reduce the number of accidents.

and before i get shouted down saying "you'd think differently if you saw what i saw" etc then please bear in mind that my brother-in-law was killed in a joy riding crash. he was 15. he survived the initial impact (the other 3 didn't) and was pulled out of a blazing car screaming in agony from massive internal injuries. it was on killinghall road in bradford and that already had loads of speed cameras on it. they made no difference whatsoever.

better police presence / action may have changed things but governments and councils are still trying to tell us that speed cameras make roads safer. they don't. police make roads safer but for whatever reason they are not allowed to do the jobs they are meant to be doing so get replaced with automatic cameras that do little in terms of safety but generate a nice income.

MaFt
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

now, real police could do it, but not an automated camera. this is why myself, and a lot of other people here, don't like speed cameras. they don't reduce the number of accidents.MaFt

Not sure where you get that idea from, the statistics prove otherwise.

And yes, you're right, there will always be those who deliberately set out to break the law but the vast majority of motorists do slow down for speed cameras, and the ones that calculate average speed over distance work even better.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
MaFt wrote:

now, real police could do it, but not an automated camera. this is why myself, and a lot of other people here, don't like speed cameras. they don't reduce the number of accidents.MaFt

Not sure where you get that idea from, the statistics prove otherwise.

I eagerly await some statistics that prove that speed cameras reduce the number of accidents.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: