Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Offers Speed Camera Data to Licence Partners
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Offers Speed Camera Data to Licence Partners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tatsfield
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very elderly but serviceable TomTom Go 300 and it is quite adequate for navigational purposes. I subscribed to TT's own camera service when I first bought the unit a very long time ago and was appalled at how bad it was then. What was worse, however, is that TT have little on no wish to connect with their customers apart from trying to sell them something. They not only don't listen to anything that you try to say to them but they make it almost impossible to actually find a method of communicating with them, apart from ordering things to be paid for!

I've now used PGPS camera database for several years and am very satisfied. If I could only find a way to record missing cameras without losing control of the car, the Pisa to Florence autostrada would have made me a life member 20 times over!!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed this comment earlier
Quote:
"Seems to me the twice weekly update ..."
From what has been said (and Garmin aren't much better), this reminds me of a very old joke - shouldn't it be
Quote:
"Seems to me the twice weakly update ..."
?
dorsetbred
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small company with big company attitude, never mind the product.
I ditched TT in favour of yours a long time ago.
It's not about can it or can't it, it's about do people believe it can.
Clearly a good sales technique involved here.
Their loss your gain.
pdfbt40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many people have to complain to Advertising Standards before such claims are investigated, rubbished, and withdrawn......with massive national press coverage ;-)

Along the same vein, has anyone ever tried to find out the revision date for another vital database, the map data? Especially when offered an update for £XX. I tried once for a PC program that offered an update in June 2010 including map data of March 2010. Since many local roads built over the last 5 years were missing, I asked what March 2010 actually meant? Eventually I was told (by Teleatlas) that most major truck routes should be valid for December 2009, anything else.........

When, for work, I use to purchase tiles of map data from OS, I would get full revision spec with it. Mind you the price would frighten you!!

Martin
Duddy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: TT speed camera database Reply with quote

Wow.

Just had an e-mail, from TT, with an offer of the speed camera Db for £9.99, they must be getting desperate.

I wouldn't put it in my old TT One (which is only a standby device) if it were on offer for 9.99p
Reading glasses getting thicker as is my waist
Retired but want to go back to work for a rest.
newtomoneowner
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: TT speed camera database Reply with quote

Duddy wrote:
if it were on offer for 9.99p

Laughing Laughing

When i found out that my TT1 had a dodgy map on it i decided to buy a legit version and of course the question of speed cameras came up, as a regular road user ( and having 10 points on my licence) this was a must, i of course toyed with the idea of speed cameras from TT, but after a bit of web crawling or similar or roads seemed to point to Rome, Rome of course being PGPS.

When i saw the price i admit i hesitated at first, being a bit of tight git i though the price was steep, but then of course i signed up and read the forums and realised that for 52 updates a year (oh sorry 51 this year coz MaFt wants a holiday) it was worth the money and i paid up.

Since then i update weekly and when tomtom offered me there cameras for 9.99 i just laughed.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my good fortune to get a TomTom GO 300 way back in 2005 and I was recommended to give the PGPSW cameras a try. They were free back then, so the only problem was learning how to install them. Download was a doddle, unzip worked a treat, then copy and paste just dreamed in. It all worked first time and I'm an old person who could be excused for struggling to get I right. So for me, it was as easy as falling off a log and I quickly reached the stage of being able to do it in my sleep and/or blindfold.

Then I discovered how to report cameras - I never could get on with the submission page in those days, but I got hold of an email address and submitted details to that. At the time, there were significant roadworks widening the M5 near Bristol and I had a regular contract job to go to and fro, Taunton/ Bristol twice a day, seven days a week. So over a period of time I was able to submit the several temporary cameras, then refine the locations until they were spot on. When I drove elsewhere, I tried to submit any I came across.

Late 2005 it was announced that the database would be charged for in 2006, so I kept my eyes open waiting for th publication of details on how to subscribe - I couldn't wait. To my great surprise, I received an email saying that as I had been a regular contributor of cameras, I was to be given a lifetim free membership. That was very nice, although to be honest, I didn't see the need for it -£2 a month or £20 a year was a drop in the ocean. So that's me since February 2006 and a couple of years later I was invited to become a Verifier, then a bit later again, a Moderator.

So PGPSW has been good to me and I try to repay by continuing to submit cameras. If everybody becomes a free lifetime member, I guess they'll have to start charging again and I for one will do it in an instant.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit to the above, because I don't know how to edit with my iPad...

Subscription was only £16 a year to start off. Sorry and where's the idiots guide to editing during a post with an iPad?

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: TT speed camera database Reply with quote

newtomoneowner wrote:
that for 52 updates a year (oh sorry 51 this year coz MaFt wants a holiday) it was worth the money and i paid up.
I bet he will have another week off before the year is out Very Happy
DennisN wrote:
because I don't know how to edit with my iPad...
Use a proper 'puter then. You're too old for this new fangled gizmos Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
... a couple of years later I was invited to become a Verifier, then a bit later again, a Moderator.

ONE moment of madness I can understand... but two? Twisted Evil
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"... Once is misfortune, twice is carelessness ..." Rolling Eyes
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall ignore you three - you represent a mere 0.002% of the membership, the rest of whom think I'm good-looking, sweet-natured and slim. Rolling Eyes

Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
.... the rest of whom think I'm good-looking, sweet-natured and slim. Rolling Eyes
You may fool some of the people all of the time, but ...... Twisted Evil

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
newtomoneowner
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I shall ignore you three

Better make it 4 mate, i didnt post but i was thinking it Razz
stephenbeharrell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Not so hot in Europe Reply with quote

I agree, TT's camera Db is in some cases 3 years out of date - and now for the big but....... I have been driving through Holland, Germany, Denmark and Belgium recently and the Pocket Db is not that good. There are fixed cameras in Holland that have been there years, TT shows them Pocket does not. I appreciate this is a collective system but if it is so inaccurate how long will verification take. I guess I have become accustomed to the very high standard and near faultless UK Db. I will record cameras on my next visits but on my last run I reckon over thirty fixed and seven mobiles were not showing and I will need a fast easy system to log them. Oh and by the way - watch out for the old wooden trailer with one wheel left casually in the central reservation of the A15 near Arnhem - geez I though the Welsh constabularies were inventive.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: