Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Accuracy of PGPSW Camera database?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Accuracy of PGPSW Camera database?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
modelman093
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Accuracy of PGPSW Camera database? Reply with quote

I know that this is verging on heresy but how accurate is the PGPS camera database?
The reason that I ask this is that there is a mobile camera alert on the A28 just to the west of Tenterden, Kent, a section of road that my work colleagues and I traverse six to eight times a day and have never seen a camera van.
The cynic in me says that someone is enjoying life membership by reporting a non-existent camera van!
Angus
jmcmtank
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a mobile alert for one of the overbridges on the last section of the M6 at Todhill which appeared after the motorway went "live" at the end of 2008. Never having seen anything in all this time I assumed that someone had seen a Highways Agency or similar; couple of weeks ago there was a van sitting there!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mobile cameras have to have multiple independent reports before they make it into the live database. Further to that they need more ongoing reports to stay in the database. This type of complaint is common but the very nature of mobile cameras is that they are not there all the time. There is one near my old house which I have only ever seen once dispute going past multiple times a day at different times of the day.
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On way to/from work I hear loads of warnings - but never see them, but travel the same road outside rush hour and I have seen them quite often.

Similarly I have reported one - never saw it when driving, but when walking across road to dinner - it is there (and was a car not van)
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was my understanding that mobile cams didn't quailify fro lifetime membership.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoeknee wrote:
Was my understanding that mobile cams didn't quailify fro lifetime membership.

Not so....

Quote:
New subscriber reports of Mobile sites will also now qualify BUT because such sites are very difficult to verify, it should be noted that validation may take significantly longer than for other types of site.

(From the Lifetime Membership Award Criteria (Oct 31 2008))
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in an area that has about 7 mobile sites around. Over the last 3-4 years I have seen mobile cameras at all the sites, but it's sometimes months apart from seeing them at the same site, even though I drive past those sites on a regular basis. And they are still all in the database. So other people must have seen them and reported them as well as myself to keep them in the database.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That camera seems to be Mobile:80841@40? It was first submitted in March 2010 and I don't know when we accepted it into the database. Unfortunately, this one has got in without a good description of the location - it would have been more useful if the submitter had described the site a bit more than just saying it was a handheld laser - maybe it's in the bus stop layby?

Anyway, as PaulB2005 says, getting into the database requires multiple reports of actual sightings and staying in there needs repat sightings. We have to believe that there have been reports of it from more than just the lucky winner.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
inthe128
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There a few around where my folks live, every now and again you will see some activity, but of course there will be long periods of time that people see nothing. I would have thought in this day and age of health and safety that positions for mobile sites kept by the Police, just to know there is a spot to park, likelihood of speeding, good sightlines etc.

I find as I travel around the UK that when an alert comes up for a mobile then the position of the site does suggest a parking spot that could have activity, be it off road or a bridge, useful heads up if nothing else.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The so called mobile camera alerts in Warwickshire on the M40 are annoying also.

I have only ever seen ANPR and Highways Agency at any of those locations.

I get the impression people don't know the difference between ANPR and mobile speed traps.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:
The so called mobile camera alerts in Warwickshire on the M40 are annoying also.

I get the impression people don't know the difference between ANPR and mobile speed traps.

Hmm - I just had a quick look and I can only find a couple of 70mph mobiles on M40? One pair up near the M42 junction, and two at separate locations further away, both for northwestbound traffic?

Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange how no body seems to ever say the PGPSW Camera database saved me a speeding fine etc. Must be lots every day who pass spots with cameras of one type or another that they didn’t know existed Laughing

I know its saved me a few times. And no I don't speed as such, but every one does exceed the speed limit some times Wink
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't be bothered to look it up, but we did have a post from some guy regretting his points and £60 because he didn't have our database when he was pinged by an overbridge mobile on the M4 at Swindon.

technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
technik wrote:

Hmm - I just had a quick look and I can only find a couple of 70mph mobiles on M40? One pair up near the M42 junction, and two at separate locations further away, both for northwestbound traffic?

That's the one near the M42.

I've only ever seen ANPR there, usually cameras on tripods over each lane.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's what the submitter had to say about it.....
Quote:
Submission Comments: Police sit on this bridge in unmarked car (as it is hidden behind a large gantry sign) then follow you - "most unsporting" as I told the copper who pulled me over!....Oh well, £60 down the pan but at least another mobile add!
.....I dunno about you, but I guess I'd prefer this one to stay in the database!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: