Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help needed to test our CamerAlert application on Android
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help needed to test our CamerAlert application on Android
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RocketGPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
hmm... odd, just tried it on my Hero and it's fine. took a while to get the initial fix (but then again i'm couch testing!) and once it had a fix the globe went blue and i get a list of nearby cameras.

GPS button is dead in this mode, but it works in "Only when nearby" & "always" modes. I get a good fix quickly when it is working.

Quote:
sorry - not sure what you mean.

I would like the app to inhibit auto-dimming of the screen so I can see Google maps whilst driving, but still have auto screen dim at other times.

Quote:
it's a black screen on mine but perhaps that depends on the device's default colour-scheme? if there's no cameras it says, in grey text, "No cameras nearby" (or something like that). Perhaps because your background is grey you are not seeing the text. When there are cameras nearby it will show them in a list with a direction arrow and other details.

It works fine when the GPS is working (in "Only when nearby" mode) I get a list of cameras near by. Therefore the issue is to do with not being able to use GPS in this mode (see first point!)

Thanks for the replies, I'm learning more about the app all the time!
Must go now.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RocketGPS wrote:
Quote:

I would like the app to inhibit auto-dimming of the screen so I can see Google maps whilst driving, but still have auto screen dim at other times.

There is 'Prevent standby' in the settings - is this what you're after?

MaFt
RocketGPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
RocketGPS wrote:
Quote:

There is 'Prevent standby' in the settings - is this what you're after?

MaFt

Yes, this is what I had set but it only works when the app is running in the foreground. If it also worked when the app was running in the background it would do exactly what I was looking for.

BTW, today is a bank holiday & this is what you guys do for a job, so do you guys never take time off? You must like your work a lot more than I like mine!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RocketGPS wrote:
BTW, today is a bank holiday & this is what you guys do for a job, so do you guys never take time off? You must like your work a lot more than I like mine!!

we generally don't stop! Laughing Out Loud. and yes, i love my work, wouldn't change it for anything Very Happy

MaFt
RocketGPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

we generally don't stop! . and yes, i love my work, wouldn't change it for anything

Where do I sign up? Very Happy Smile
TieJustice
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: MISSED IT Reply with quote

would have been nice to try it out Smile pity the net has been so bad here where i am. what they should have don was had it before xmas or well after as every one know its hard to get on the net over xmas and with the weather.

better luck next time

any news on a blackberry??
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RocketGPS wrote:

So was Xmas day and yesterday, and at least 2 of us were working at various parts of the day then as well...
mx5745
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

San Fransico 2.1 . The database downloaded correctly but force closes everytime GPS is enabled. Would be good to be able to manually enter an address aswell.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I noticed this morning on the desire.

I use Quick settings App to turn on/off the various settings, it is just a quick flick of the drop down and they are al there, anyway.
After running the camera app, I then go into Quick settings to turn off Mobile 3G from there, it doesn't, just fades out and comes back on again.
I have to go into the main Settings to turn Mobile 3G off there.

I think my camera settings have set the 3G Mobile to 'always on'. Have turned that off from the main settings as well, see how it goes.
TheMagnumFan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: some initial feedback - well done Reply with quote

Installed the app on a HTC Desire Sim Free with all latest operating system updates. I transfered to SD card. Im currently a EZCam user.

Played with the app for the first time yesterday. Great app and I think EZCam may be deleted shortly. Much more flexibility than EZcam and the autoupdate makes life alot easier. Nice to be able to easily join the community by logging cameras with a couple of clicks.

A few bits of feedback.. firstly it doesnt always quit cleanly.. approx 50% of menu then Exit works and the other half throw an error as follows:-

Sorry! The application CamerAlert (process.com.pocketgpsworld.cameralert) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again - Force close

Not much of an issue as only happens when leaving the app.

Also....Not sure if database error or app error. I was heading north up M6 and entered the 50mpg average camera section before Hilton Park services. I like the way the average speed popped up automatically.. BUT it didnt switch off when I exited the average camera zone (approx 3miles before Hilton Park. It was still warning about average speed at Keele Services. I pulled off and reset the app.. average camera now off. So it looks like the app switches on the average speed zone automatically but doesnt clear correctly (app or database error?).

A couple of recommendations for future releases. Before Android and EZcam I ran TomTom on a Windows phone. I recorded my kids on both Tom Tom and the EZcam alert. Any chance of pulling out the voice alerts as .wav or .ogg for user modification?

I also like the radar screen on EZcam when I cant get map info... any chance having this as an option?

Hope this helps. Great App as a Beta

Dave
arndale
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've only had a little play so far but thought I'd report my first bug. I tried to change maps to Show 'Never' as I started the program whist away from the wifi and there was a very poor phone signal, but I got a Force Close.
When I went back into the app it had taken the setting fine.
I have a Vodafone Nexux One running FRG83D

Dean
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran the app yesterday on a long run into Mid Wales. Despite the poor data coverage I found the map updated quite frequently with only limited times when I was driving into 'unknown territory' of no map - not a fault of the app but of O2 for not having fast enough data coverage in those areas.

I had very few problems and the only one which niggled with me most was even in night mode the map was still mainly white. I'm not sure if this can be resolved though as I guess it is caused by the Google Maps themselves but it does make using the app at night with maps enabled more annoying.

Vince
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarymonkey wrote:
Ran the app yesterday on a long run into Mid Wales. Despite the poor data coverage I found the map updated quite frequently with only limited times when I was driving into 'unknown territory' of no map - not a fault of the app but of O2 for not having fast enough data coverage in those areas.

I had very few problems and the only one which niggled with me most was even in night mode the map was still mainly white. I'm not sure if this can be resolved though as I guess it is caused by the Google Maps themselves but it does make using the app at night with maps enabled more annoying.

Vince

Hi Vince you are quite right it is the Google maps that determine the brightness of the display. However there is a little trick you could use: Switch the map to satellite or hybrid this tends to be somewhat darker and less distracting when driving at night.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
However there is a little trick you could use: Switch the map to satellite or hybrid this tends to be somewhat darker and less distracting when driving at night.

Will try running in satellite next time I am out in the dark (I expect later this week). Should there be a hybrid option though? All I can see are standard and satellite options.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarymonkey wrote:
MikeB wrote:
However there is a little trick you could use: Switch the map to satellite or hybrid this tends to be somewhat darker and less distracting when driving at night.

Will try running in satellite next time I am out in the dark (I expect later this week). Should there be a hybrid option though? All I can see are standard and satellite options.

Satellite and Hybrid are the same...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 5 of 15

Jump to: