Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help needed to test our CamerAlert application on Android
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help needed to test our CamerAlert application on Android
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darrengsaw
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed to Galaxy S 2.2 rooted, tried on a 60 odd mile trip, works like a charm so far, very pleased with it indeed. A couple of force closes, no obvious trigger. Very promising start.

LoveThe auto database download, much easier than on my garmin.
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Installed to HTC Desire. Once I had authorised the software no problem installing. Taken a short journey they HUD mirror flip did not work but everything else seems fine.

SHould get the chance to test this on a longer journey soon.

Looks like it is going to be a great app. Cool
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a very short trip launched CamerAlert and then did navigation using Google maps. Worked well.

Like others I have the icon still showing despite exiting the app.

Not seen some ot the other issues but not had chance to play too much

Installed on Galaxy S Andriod 2.1
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried it today on my HTC Wildfire and worked well, havent tried all the options yet but I take it the cameras are directional .
As someone else says it does warn about old database each time you start it even though it did download an update. .

I found that it will turn the GPS on when starting the program but it doesnt turn it off when you close it.

It appears slick and comprehensive and as the Wildfire is a smaller screen than Desire and the processor slower it was quite impressive. I am away for a week and will be able to try it out more while trying to get up to Scotland.. but so far so good.

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: First Impressions Reply with quote

macpherson3 wrote:
Actual speed limit for the road you are traveling on.

our database only holds speed cameras and not road speeds. i highly doubt we will ever add this feature.

macpherson3 wrote:
Bluetooth auto start-up.

this has been suggested in the early alpha phases.

macpherson3 wrote:
Auto zoom is good but + and - should be added to the map screen.

pretty sure these only appear when auto-zoom is turned off. pointless having them when auto-zoom is on?

macpherson3 wrote:
Variable distance to speed camera according to vehicle speed.

it is. it's based on time. eg 30 seconds warnings for a 30mph camera will be a shorter distance than a 30second warning for a 50mph camera.

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lawe wrote:
One other point I noticed was that it reported cameras that were "off" route. Example being northbound M3 approacjing Winchester A34 turn off Junction 9. It came up with a speed camera for 60mph yet I'm in lane 3 heading towards J7 of the M3.

Looks like you hit a camera on a parallel road: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras&op=SubmitCamera&lat=51.07681&lon=-1.29478

Not a lot we can do about htis, but you can adjust the angles of detection in the advanced settings. however, doing this would then increase the chance of not being warned for cameras that a slightly around the corner...

it's a toss up between a few false positives and missing actual warnings.

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revel wrote:
Works perfectly on an htc hero running Villainrom 12.
No problems at all whatsoever.

you should try FroydVillain - much slicker :D

MaFt
fxgopher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Samsung Galaxy Tab - Android 2.2 Reply with quote

Ran this in tandem with co-pilot 8 today on a trip from Bishops Stortford to Royston & then to Stevenage.

No problems whatsoever

Frank
alfie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfie wrote:
Installed onto Samsung Galaxy S.
Smile

Been driving around testing against local cameras and redlights.
No problems worked flawlessly. Tested phone too, by running Camera alert in background, Sygic Aura as navigation and poweramp to play music all through bluetooth car kit.
No conflicts or breakup of sound when instructions or warnings given from Cameralert or Sygic whilst music played gently in the background.

10 out of 10 of so far. Thumbs Up
RocketGPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: 200+ miles: Some feedback but overall I like it! Reply with quote

I've tried it on about 200 miles, using my Desire running v2.2 (build 2.29.405.2). Overall I like this app a lot!

Possible bug:
Most times when exiting I get either
a) The application has stopped unexpectedly, with a 'Force close' button
b) GPS icon remains after I exit the programme (except when I get the "stopped unexpectedly" message on exit).
I have sent the four crash reports I have to pocketgpsworld dot com (all java.lang.IllegalStateException: database not open)

Possible improvements:
a) It works well in the background when running Goolge maps (or other stuff) but please could the stay alive setting please still work when the app is in the background? EZ-Cam can do this & is is needed!
b) Also when in the background, can it force a message over the foreground app for camera warnings? Again EZ-Cam can do this.
c) It could do with a no-map-data download mode for those on limited data plans. I notice the app works just as well when the phone has data turned off altogether, but a button in the app to inhibit maps would be more user friendly. So all you need is something else to display instead (EZ-Cam uses a radar screen image).
d) An average speed display would be nice, but not essential. (Yes, EZ-Cam has this too!)

Praise:
a) I like the "nag mode" when I approach a camera.
b) I like the database update process (although I was not so sure about allowing my phone ID to be used in the registration process).
c) I like the level of customisation, such as auto mute for announcement & all clear when below the limit (although I prefer to not use this)
d) I like that the distance to speed camera is measured in time not distance, this makes so much sense as it is a constant scale for any speed you are travelling at & is therefore so much more intuitive.

Overall so much better than EZ-Cam and my previous TomTom stuff.
TheQuest
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed on my ZTE Blade [OSF] without any problems.

Set it up indoors, and it picked up Seven Cameras within 1.4 miles [which I know about because the PGPSW Database on my 1490T Thumbs Up].

Took it for a road test [with never show maps, as maps made it crash, I put that down to CPU clock speed [?]], and it was as I have come to accept from PGPSW, Perfect, thanks again PGPSW First

Now it has me thinking of getting a HTC Desire HD, mainly because of the power of the HD, also sound on the Blade is so bad.

Take Care
TheQuest Cool
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: 200+ miles: Some feedback but overall I like it! Reply with quote

RocketGPS wrote:
c) It could do with a no-map-data download mode for those on limited data plans. I notice the app works just as well when the phone has data turned off altogether, but a button in the app to inhibit maps would be more user friendly.

in the settings set "Show map" to "Never".

MaFt
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my X10 with android 2.1, if I go into the menu and choose display map-never then press back on my hardware button, I get a force close, this is repeatable. If I choose any of the other two options and press back, its fine.
RocketGPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 200+ miles: Some feedback but overall I like it! Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
RocketGPS wrote:
c) It could do with a no-map-data download mode for those on limited data plans. I notice the app works just as well when the phone has data turned off altogether, but a button in the app to inhibit maps would be more user friendly.

in the settings set "Show map" to "Never".

MaFt

- Okay, but I can not get gps working in this mode (gps button is dead) and it says not tracking.
- In this mode will screen stay alive?
- Also grey screen is a bit drab, how do you know it is working? If not a radar image then what about a series of rings marking distance to cameras?
- Finally I would like a button for this on the screen. If I'm on the motorway I will turn the map off to save data. When I get to a town I turn the map on. Going into settings is too hard to do safely at the lights!

Many thanks for great app.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 200+ miles: Some feedback but overall I like it! Reply with quote

RocketGPS wrote:
- Okay, but I can not get gps working in this mode (gps button is dead) and it says not tracking.

hmm... odd, just tried it on my Hero and it's fine. took a while to get the initial fix (but then again i'm couch testing!) and once it had a fix the globe went blue and i get a list of nearby cameras.

RocketGPS wrote:
- In this mode will screen stay alive?

sorry - not sure what you mean.

RocketGPS wrote:
- Also grey screen is a bit drab, how do you know it is working? If not a radar image then what about a series of rings marking distance to cameras?

it's a black screen on mine but perhaps that depends on the device's default colour-scheme? if there's no cameras it says, in grey text, "No cameras nearby" (or something like that). Perhaps because your background is grey you are not seeing the text. When there are cameras nearby it will show them in a list with a direction arrow and other details.

RocketGPS wrote:
- Finally I would like a button for this on the screen. If I'm on the motorway I will turn the map off to save data. When I get to a town I turn the map on. Going into settings is too hard to do safely at the lights!

there already is. if you turn map data back on ('Always' or 'Near camera') you will see a 'pen and paper list' icon - pressing that switches between map view and 'list view'. 'list view' is what should show when map data is turned off. if you have it set to 'near camera' then it will stay on list view and only show the map as you approach the camera. not certain if this has been implemented yet though.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 4 of 15

Jump to: