Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Set To Open Up Map Editing To the Masses?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Set To Open Up Map Editing To the Masses?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: TomTom Set To Open Up Map Editing To the Masses? Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comAn item in the Wall Street Journal covering an interview with Alain de Taeye, a TomTom board member and co-founder TeleAtlas has revealed some interesting developments for MapShare.

One of the most frustrating aspects of satnav use is map errors. The reporting of errors and the seemingly interminable delays between such reports and the maps being corrected are a source of complaint but things could be about to change.

The interview suggests that TomTom are about to open up map editing to the userbase. The details are as yet unknown but it seems clear that a new tool is coming that will allow users to make corrections to the map directly.

Open source solutions such as OpenStreetMap have long since permitted users to edit their maps but quite how TeleAtlas will control and approve the edits remains to be seen.

This should be great news, the devil will be in the detail and we will seek further comments as a priority.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cue Dennis.... Laughing
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Cue Dennis.... Laughing
Yes, he always uses unconfirmed mapshare, doesn't he Shocked
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now I'll be able to correct that wrong speed on the motorway to 71 mph. And change those laybies on the A36 to main carriageway. Well, at least this means I'll get everybody's corrections included in my next new map.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, I've just had a reply regarding one of my earlier map corrections submitted directly to TeleAtlas - they rejected it!! It's one of those really annoying errors near my home that I see on a regular basis.

Have a look at the crossroads at 52.4031,-1.8097, which shows a staggered junction from Widney Lane into Longmore Road, so you always get the instruction "Turn Left, then Turn Right". The fact is that it isn't staggered at all - it's just a case of going straight on at a set of traffic lights. This makes the instructions confusing at best, and downright dangerous at worst if drivers try to correct themselves at the last minute. I can't work out why they have rejected my suggestion.

If this development allows me to correct this error, then I for one will be very pleased!
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh what could possibly go wrong.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
Have a look at the crossroads at 52.4031,-1.8097, which shows a staggered junction from Widney Lane into Longmore Road
Navteq have got the junction right all on their own Shocked But what must be even more annoying is that you can clearly see it's a straight on in the satellite view Sad
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thought was "where's Dennis?" so not disappointed. Smile

Daggers wrote:
the crossroads at 52.4031,-1.8097, which shows a staggered junction from Widney Lane into Longmore Road
Hey, I used to live just down the road from there. At least they managed to get a junction in Leicester right by themselves (used to say "bear right" then "bear left" when it meant "go straight on" - even better would be to say "stay in the middle lane").

Was there anything about adding new roads to the map?
Brodit ProClip mount
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Set To Open Up Map Editing To the Masses? Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
The reporting of errors and the seemingly interminable delays between such reports and the maps being corrected are a source of complaint but things could be about to change.

One problem that I have with submitting changes via MapShare is the lack of feedback, even though I have the option ticked in TT Home, I have never had an email (automated or not) stating that 1) TomTom have received the change, nor any emails stating that TomTom have accepted or rejected my submissions. At least PocketGPSWorld send an automated email (with the details) when you submit a camera or change to their database!

News Team wrote:
The interview suggests that TomTom are about to open up map editing to the userbase. The details are as yet unknown but it seems clear that a new tool is coming that will allow users to make corrections to the map directly.

Does this mean that only the submitter's map is changed on their PND? I submit map changes to make it clearer for other users. Once I know map error I can deal with it but I've always thought that map change submissions should be for the "greater good".

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One problem that I have with submitting changes via MapShare is the lack of feedback

The same happens even if you report changes to Teleatlas site, even before Tomtom took them over, I have given up reporting seven year old errors.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom Set To Open Up Map Editing To the Masses? Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:

News Team wrote:

Does this mean that only the submitter's map is changed on their PND?
(snip)
I've always thought that map change submissions should be for the "greater good".

I took the line "that will allow users to make corrections to the map directly" to mean 'to the master map'.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom Set To Open Up Map Editing To the Masses? Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Privateer wrote:

News Team wrote:

Does this mean that only the submitter's map is changed on their PND?
(snip)
I've always thought that map change submissions should be for the "greater good".

I took the line "that will allow users to make corrections to the map directly" to mean 'to the master map'.

Well, I take the line that my changes are for the greater good because they are correct, therefore I upload the few that I do. If I could differentiate the people whose changes I would trust, I'd download theirs, but I can't, so I don't.

I've been a pgpsw camera Verifier for four years now and the number of wrong submissions which I reject (remember, these are from people who care like "you", not just casual tinkerers) makes me feel totally unable to accept mapshare corrections of any kind - I just don't believe TomTom do verification properly (e.g. witness the motorway on my brand new map with a 50mph speed limit - the pgpsw [amateur] system would never let that happen).

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom Set To Open Up Map Editing To the Masses? Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I've been a pgpsw camera Verifier for four years now and the number of wrong submissions which I reject (remember, these are from people who care like "you", not just casual tinkerers) makes me feel totally unable to accept mapshare corrections
But it seems possible since the advent of cameralert that they are reported by 'casual tinkerers'
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom Set To Open Up Map Editing To the Masses? Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
DennisN wrote:
I've been a pgpsw camera Verifier for four years now and the number of wrong submissions which I reject (remember, these are from people who care like "you", not just casual tinkerers) makes me feel totally unable to accept mapshare corrections
But it seems possible since the advent of cameralert that they are reported by 'casual tinkerers'

Yes, BUT the big difference here (and I think what Dennis was getting at) is that we check each one before it goes public.

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm naiive, but personally I don't believe anybody submits camera sites as a casual tinkerer. First, they are users/members, so they care about getting it right. Second, even with CamerAlert it takes some effort, so they have to be keen enough to persist. All of which legislates in favour of "genuine" submissions.

Sure, several are rubbish, for whatever reason - not enough experience, slip of the finger, not enough care on the location (we even had a very experienced member get one wrong the other day because his passenger was fiddling about with his phone). That's why pgpsw has you and me as Verifiers.

But generally, I faithfully believe 99% of our submissions are absolutely genuine and done thoughtfully. The ones which I reject are down to inaccuracy when entering the datails. With MapShare, I'm convinced many of the submitters simply don't understand what they are doing, hence roadworks speed limits and temporary closures entered as permanent. Plus there are so many more users that I'm sure they have a certain proportion of people who want their traffic reducing and have no qualms whatsoever about inserting a fictitious speed limit or closure. Furthermore, there are parts of the country where "Traffic Management Schemes" change roads like a daily change of dress. Unlike us, it seems TomTom don't do a proper job of verifying, so quite a lot of duds get into the maps.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: