Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What would be nice is ...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What would be nice is ...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: What would be nice is ... Reply with quote

if there was an option to only alert you to a camera if you were currently exceeding the speed limit. Unless I am overlooking something then this does not seem to be supported. In fact it seems such an obvious feature that I suspect there must be some regulatory/legal issue concerning it.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're looking at the possibility of adding this in a future version. One of a number of new features we have in mind.
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
We're looking at the possibility of adding this in a future version. One of a number of new features we have in mind.

Thanks Darren. In my opinion this would make the product hugely more useful (not that it isn't at the moment).
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice idea, but could it be an option as opposed to the default. I mention this only in case the camera in question has an incorrect or newly changed speed limit!

Steven

iPhone 12
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'IF' we implement it, it would of course be an option that could be enabled/disabled Smile
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
'IF' we implement it, it would of course be an option that could be enabled/disabled Smile

Of course - but defaulted my way Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. A local camera for me is 30mph and is just inside a stretch of that speed within a 40mph zone. So I'm warned when I'm exceeding the speed limit within my 30 seconds warning parameter, even though I'm NOT exceeding the speed limit. On the M4 eastbound in the Slough area, a 30mph camera does the same briefly. The useful aspect of CA for me in this respect is that it shows the speed of the camera and my vehicle speed.

I feel some concern that at present we do not overtly use the database to warn people when they are speeding and to move to doing so would be something of a policy shift.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Hmm. A local camera for me is 30mph and is just inside a stretch of that speed within a 40mph zone. So I'm warned when I'm exceeding the speed limit within my 30 seconds warning parameter, even though I'm NOT exceeding the speed limit. On the M4 eastbound in the Slough area, a 30mph camera does the same briefly. The useful aspect of CA for me in this respect is that it shows the speed of the camera and my vehicle speed.

I feel some concern that at present we do not overtly use the database to warn people when they are speeding and to move to doing so would be something of a policy shift.

An occasional false alarm is no big deal as far as I am concerned. It still makes the application a hundred times more useful for me. It would mean I could always run it instead of just occasionally. And, yes, I do want to be warned if I am inadvertently speeding.
sturmey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What would be nice is ... Reply with quote

TonyD wrote:
if there was an option to only alert you to a camera if you were currently exceeding the speed limit. Unless I am overlooking something then this does not seem to be supported. In fact it seems such an obvious feature that I suspect there must be some regulatory/legal issue concerning it.

It seems this feature is not offered by any of the other GPS for Iphone apps, so I'm sure its inclusion within Camera Alert would provide you with a significant market advantage. I'm sure there are many others like myself who are egerly awaiting an app with this feature.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem is that this would introduce quite a big risk. Imagine you drive towards a 30 mph camera, trundling along at 29 mph. Then, just 100 yards from the camera you accelerate (for whatever reason). Now you're driving over the speed limit, and expect a warning. However that warning comes way too late - you have no realistic chance to correct your behaviour.

I think the deterministic version (always warn, and warn interval based on current speed) gives you the best chance.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Nokia with OVI maps gives a little beep and displays a camera icon if I am under the speed limit but a full spoken warning if I am over the speed limit. This avoids the potential problem of accelerating when near the camera as the little beep has warned me that I am approaching a camera. Perhaps CamerAlert could have an option to do something similar?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a roundabout way you can do that by setting the warning to "ding" and by also enabling the overspeed warning.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not at all convinced about this idea and keeping speed limits ACCURATE and up to date would be nigh on impossible.

IMHO adding the speed limit option to MapShare has de-valued the speed limit data on TT rather than enhancing it.

At least CamerAlert displays the CORRECT, verified speed limit for each camera and I'm not sure we should be offering any more with the resources we have because we have no way of assuring the accuracy of the data.

Firstly, there would be a need to verify the accuracy of the original baseline data, then you have permanent changes, temporary changes, return of temporary changes to either their original permanent speed limit or a different permanent limit.

It would be far worse to display an INCORRECT speed limit than not to have the speed limit displayed.

Last edited by GPS_fan on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
In a roundabout way you can do that by setting the warning to "ding" and by also enabling the overspeed warning.
What's the overspeed warning? I can't see it on my iPhone CamerAlert.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
lbendlin wrote:
What's the overspeed warning? I can't see it on my iPhone CamerAlert.

coming soon (dependent on apple... :/)

MaFy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: