Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Kids Break Law to Warn Speeding Drivers
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Kids Break Law to Warn Speeding Drivers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
W90BHP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The argument that cars have developed since the speed limits were introduced and therefore should be allowed to go faster, falls down when you consider their relative weights. What does an average family car weigh now - 1500Kg? Probably double the weight of the average family car when limits were established? What hasn't improved any is human reaction time so now people are driving something with far more momentum with no better ability to deal with it. Speed does not kill. Inability to cope with speed due to the frailties of human existence is what kills.

For anyone that thinks 70 is too slow on the motorway, they're welcome to come spend the day with me working on there. There is something quite sobering about being on foot in live motorway traffic. Try removing a squadger (or a squox for that matter) from lane 2 with traffic bearing down on you and see how brave you feel then!
iPAQ 3970 : Navman Sleeve : CoPilot 4 : Somewhere in the loft
Rowan29a
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Two quick points...

Firstly, since when has just putting a sign up "on the road" been illegal?
Or does it need planning permission? If it is, then surely the answer is just to put them on private land like every church or shop or whatever does.

Secondly, it's a dangerous precedent to think it is "pathetic" to disagree with a particular law (as opposed to disregarding it). As soon as we simply believe every law is just and proper, it's time to worry.

Illegal signs are distracting to drivers. As for private land, just look a the very large signs erected (usually on a large vehicle) in farmers' fields alongside motorways - distracting or what? There is a very good reason for deterring this....
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more distracting than all the other things you see out of the window as you are driving along - all those "safety signs" we get on motorways now, for example.
If we need laws to stop us getting distracted by signs, we maybe shouldn't be on the roads?

Anyway, for now it's NOT illegal, so how do you think it should be "deterred"?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'm getting bored with being told to 'Think Bike' and 'Bends Dead Ahead' with the picture of Valentino Rossi taking a right hander at Monza on it. Why don't bikers 'Think Car'? They know that us car drivers are all stupid, so why don't they make allowances for US?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
And I'm getting bored with being told to 'Think Bike'

I've been thinking the same thing recently..... especially as I get cut up by yet another biker riding like a lunatic.
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Why don't bikers 'Think Car'? They know that us car drivers are all stupid, so why don't they make allowances for US?

They DO Idea

If we are talking speeders around schools etc. I pass several on the way to work in a morning. The worst drivers I see are mothers. Still in their PJs often on the phone, fag dangling from their lips, driving like they ar$e is on fire, or parking in the no parking zone outside the school. The very same mothers who complain about the state of driving. Confused

We need far better training for drivers. Stop relying on automated systems prosecution systems and restricted speed limits often at crazy low levels.

Get back to people be responsible for them selves and stop blaming others. I hate this idea that everything is someone else's fault.

When I am on the road I am in control of my vehicle I am responsible for it and how it is used. If I am walking then I am still responsible for my own safety. If I step out onto the road in front of a car then is my stupid fault if I get run over. Crying or Very sad

Rant over
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I step out onto the road in front of a car then is my stupid fault if I get run over
True but if the car driver isn't concentrating well enough to see this happening, then it's his/her fault as well. Blame is very rarely TOTALLY one party's - if it is, or largely is, then that's negligence Evil or Very Mad , if it isn't, it's an accident Crying or Very sad .

And most potential accidents are really made up of two half-accidents waiting to happen - if one party takes proper account of the other's possible error, then the accident doesn't happen. Sometimes it's your turn, sometimes it's mine. Sad
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exportman wrote:
If we are talking speeders around schools etc I pass several on the way to work in a morning.
Shocked Shocked Twisted Evil Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well spotted, that man! Laughing
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exportman wrote:

We need far better training for drivers.

What is needed is a change of emphasis in driving tuition from 'pass your test in the shortest time' to 'learn how to become a safe, considerate and responsible driver'.
shafc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re Speed limits Reply with quote

Just like to add, for the idiot that keep ranting on about speed kills. No it isnt speed that kills, its idiots that kill, and they dont even need to be going fast to do that.
Prime example being idiots that dont use there indicators. Speed or no speed, if you indicated, it would give peop a chance to know what you are going to do.
Look at our motorways, you have some idiot plodding along in 3rd lane on a clear day at 60mph, nothing in second or first lane, causing others to either get frustatrated or break the lay and undercut.
Regarding people speeding in builtup areas and schools, that is plain stupid, but a clear mototway with the cars and technology we have, 70mph is a hazard in its self, as in the modern car you cannot even feel you are traveling, and have chances of fallin asleep at the wheel.
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
exportman wrote:
If we are talking speeders around schools etc I pass several on the way to work in a morning.

Thank you for that Laughing

Embarassed
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exportman wrote:
M8TJT wrote:
exportman wrote:

Thank you for that Laughing

Embarassed

Don't roads usually have 2 sides though? Could have been passing them as they went the other way Wink

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right. Give him the get out clause after all my hard work Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: