Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Q about Navigon 7 digit postcode app
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Q about Navigon 7 digit postcode app

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rorym101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Q about Navigon 7 digit postcode app Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm after a satnav app for my iphone, and the Navigon one looks like the best choice. I know about the 24 hour clock issues and I'm not concerned about that but I have a question about postcodes.

On the apple appstore there is a separate app for entering 7 digit postcodes into the Navigon software, but it appears to be a totally seperate app by a third party. Is this a throwback to an old version or is it still required?

I've also read of Navigon having an "in-app" download (at cost) for 7 digit postcodes. Is this the same app (as previously mentioned) or their own piece of software that is properly integrated?

Thanks for any help

R
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standalone app is a third party solution. It was developed before Navigon offered an in-app purchase solution. Having said that, it still works although it needs a data connection to function.

Navigon's in-app purchase option is the simpler solution though!
rorym101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren for the quick reply. Makes things a lot clearer.

So the Navigon app + in app purchase for postcodes gives an integrated standalone solution, and the other app was a workaround to older software that is no longer needed.

Shame this isn't clear from either iTunes or the Navigon website!

Looks like the Navigon software is the way forward. Now off to ebay for a cheapo car mount & charger!

R
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rorym101 wrote:
Looks like the Navigon software is the way forward. Now off to ebay for a cheapo car mount & charger!

Careful on the charger front. iPhone is quite fussy about chargers and the cheaper ones frequently cause issues where they can power an iPhone but not charge/top up the battery when navigation is running. Some el cheapo ones are unable even to maintain the level of charge.

I'd highly recommend investing in a good known brand charger, Griffin's iPhone compatible chargers are some of the best (and no family connection!). They're not cheap but they work and work well.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Careful on the charger front. iPhone is quite fussy about chargers and the cheaper ones frequently cause issues where they can power an iPhone but not charge/top up the battery when navigation is running. Some el cheapo ones are unable even to maintain the level of charge.

I'd highly recommend investing in a good known brand charger, Griffin's iPhone compatible chargers are some of the best (and no family connection!). They're not cheap but they work and work well.

i can attest to that. i've had a few from eBay - only one has been powerful enough to charge the battery while the screen is on and navigation and music running.

MaFt
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the GRIFFIN POWERJOLT AUTOCHARGER GC23090 from eBay for ~£16 delivered. Works fine.
rorym101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered a Belkin charger from play that states it's compatible with the latest Apple kit including iPad/iPhone 4. Thanks for the heads up

Final Q about the Navigon software - I've read conflicting reports about how it works. Some people claim entering a destination is hard work and I can't find a decent UK based video review on Youtube showing any different.

If you know the destination postcode is that all you need to enter, or do you need to type in a city too as some reviews claim? I can see that being a pain "on the move".

Thanks

R
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not difficult at all. you can either type a city or a postcode in the city/postcode input area.

if you have no postcode then you need to type the city and then the road etc but this is the same with all satnav's!

MaFt
rorym101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again MaFt for clarifying.

R

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: