Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fitting the Brodit Active iPhone holder
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fitting the Brodit Active iPhone holder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Fitting the Brodit Active iPhone holder Reply with quote

In this case I was fitting the Brodit tilt & swivel active holder for the iPhone to my Volvo V70 but the process will be very similar for whatever car you drive.

You can see the various mounting solutions for most vehicles by having a look at the DSL or Brodit web sites to locate your make, model and year of car.

This will show you the various Pro-clip solutions for mounting Brodit products in your car, in my case there were 41 different options to choose from for the Pro-Clip alone. I opted for the location lower down to the left of the stereo for the phone mount.

Start by checking for any obstructions to the cars controls etc with the phone in its holder simply held in the position you intend to mount it. If it fouls the controls or possibly the gear lever, (check all gear lever positions including reverse), then you need to rethink what you are doing.

Assuming everything looks OK clean the trim in the area to be attached to with the alcohol based cleaning wipe supplied with the Pro-Clip. Insert the two spacer tools in to the trim to part the two portions which will form a gap to insert the clip in to.

Remove the backing tape from the Pro-Clip and push it in to the gap, once in place remove both spacer tools leaving the Pro-Clip securely in place.

To make it easier to fit a phone holder with the tilt/ swivel capability release the large center screw and the ball joint separates in to two parts, doing this makes the next step so much easier.

Attach the fixed portion of the swivel using the four supplied self tapping screws, you will need to exert some considerable force to the screws to get them in to the Pro-Clip. Consider doing this before you install the Pro-Clip to the vehicle as it lessens the chance of damage to the car trim if you were to slip with the screwdriver.
Only lightly tighten the mounting screws, if you apply too much force you will strip the threads and end up with an insecure phone holder.

Put the phone holder back in place and re-secure the center screw, do not over tighten this screw or the swivel housing will snap, it only needs to be tight enough to prevent the mount from moving around.

Plug the charger lead in to the car ciggy socket and insert the phone to the holder and away you go in the knowledge your £500 phone isn’t going to fly around in the car the next time you hit the brakes.

The Brodit kit isn’t cheap with the phone holder costing nearly £50 and the Pro-Clip a further £15 but you get what you pay for which is a quality holder that looks like it was intended for the car.
carioca1000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again Mike for your so valuable infos and congrats for your great fitting.

I wish I could be in the UK: I would do the same for my Iphone 3GS.

For me in Brazil, prices double for importing this fitting with import taxes plus shipping costs and cell phones get newer and better models so fast that I am forced to find a cheaper solution.

What would happen if I used an Iphone external battery power case and fed the case with enough power to recharge the battery and let the external battery charge the Iphone?

I will test a 3G Iphone external battery power case and let it fixed in the car. I am charging it with the car power cables used on my TT 740. I will use a power outlet which only is on when I switch on the car.

I hope I find the best solution for me.

I will also buy the Holux M-1200E Bluetooth GPS Data Logger, half the price of a Qstarz BT-Q1000X.

As I intend to let it fixed in my car, I hope it will give me a better GPS signal for my Iphone 3GS, make simpler registering POIs without distracting my attention on driving and eventually use it as a data logger.

Best regards,

Felipe
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you are aware that to use a BT GPS with your iPhone will require the phone to be jail broken?? - Mike
carioca1000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I did it with the Spirit jailbreak and I am waiting for to upgrade for the iOS4, because I have a 3GS with the new botroom.

Please do you see anything wrong with my fitting?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: