Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom - Major iOS4 update and carkit is iPhone4 compatible
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom - Major iOS4 update and carkit is iPhone4 compatible
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: TomTom - Major iOS4 update and carkit is iPhone4 compatible Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comAfter a less than promising start earlier on Monday with the discovery that TomTom's iPhone app was crashing on iPhone's upgraded to iOS4 comes rather better news a day later.

True to there word, an update was submitted and with unusual speed from Apple it has been approved and began appearing in the an Appstore near you yesterday evening.

The update is a major one and provides a number of feature enhancements over and above the much anticipated iOS4 multi-tasking support. These include New map data, route sharing, departure reminder, eco routes and car symbols.

We've been using this version for some weeks now under iOS4 and it's both stable and provides some welcome enhancements. We also released our CamerAlert iOS4 update this week and so we can now establish what is or isn't possible whilst running the two side by side!

On a related note, Apple updated their TomTom Carkit for iPhone product page yesterday to include iPhone 4 as a compatible device. That will come as welcome news for current owners considering an upgrade but loathe to have to buy yet another cradle.

poe985
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Iphone Reply with quote

I Just did the upgrade and have lost all my favourites not very happy
granite-silver
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were did you find the iphone 4 compatibility, all i can find on the tomtom web site is :-

Compatibility iPhone iPhone; iPhone 3G; iPhone 3GS; Require iPhone OS 3.0 or later
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

granite-silver wrote:
Were did you find the iphone 4 compatibility, all i can find on the tomtom web site is :-

On Apple's store pages here.

Quote:
Apple updated their TomTom Carkit for iPhone product page

SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Mentioned on the other TomTom thread, but...)

Another person who lost all their favourites. Good one TomTom!

It also reset Traffic, so I had some confusion trying to get that back again.

I had no issue running TomTom on iOS4, but c'est la vie, I won't say "no" to new features, and particularly the multitasking. Even if their updated maps still don't include a road that's 4 years old.

Is CamerAlert multitasking though? It didn't seem to be when I was running it.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSR wrote:
Is CamerAlert multitasking though? It didn't seem to be when I was running it.

CamerAlert isn't as yet multitasking but we are working on that right now. There were some complexities we needed to overcome and so rather than delay basic iOS4 support we released an update with that as the priority.

It is coming though, as soon as we can get it all sorted.
SHC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see the car Kit is compatable with iPhone 4.
As to MultiTasking, you can have TomTom running in the background with CamerAlert running in the foreground but not the other way round. You still get the spoken routes from TomTom but if you want to see TomTom then CamerAlert quits.
I also lost favourites and home location on the upgrade.
prl1862
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also lost favourites and traffic in the upgrade. I didn't have many faves so that wasn't a problem. With the traffic I had to log in again and it appeared.

So far the only downside I can see is that TomTom continues to run in the background when you have a route planned. I used it this morning on my way to work as a test. When I got to work and closed the app, TT was still running, as indicated by the arrow head in the top status bar. I had to clear the route to get it to close. A minor inconvenience but I guess it's hard for TT to know when you are backgrounding it or closing it. Maybe they need to add an Exit button to the menu.
hailstorm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a problem with HD Traffic. It is updating ok as the car icon in the top right corner is green and traffic reports are appearing on the map. Pressing the car icon doesn't bring up the traffic bar for me. It goes to the traffic subscription page instead.

I have emailed Tomtom but I won't hold my breath for any sensible reply.

Anyone else with this problem?
prl1862
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I logged in, HD Traffic worked fine. I've just fired it up at my desk and planned a 200 mile journey to my parents. Traffic downloaded fine over our office wifi, the car showed as the double orange symbol and touching it brought out the traffic line with the incidents marked on it.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prl1862 wrote:
So far the only downside I can see is that TomTom continues to run in the background when you have a route planned.

Or use the Task Manager to close TomTom.

Double tap the Home Button, tap'n'hold the icon of the app you wish to exit/kill and then tap minus sign to close.
Chrisnetx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't TomTom announced that 1.4 was submitted to Apple for approval about 2 weeks ag?, I think it is Apple, not TomTom to blame for the delay, when have Apple ever pushed an App update through in 24hrs, let alone TomTom make an App in less then a day.

I don't think TomTom have officially announced the compatibility of the original mount with the new phone. The iPhone 4 has different dimensions then the previous model, and lacks the curved back the mount has been specifically designed for. The iPhone 4 is slightly shorter so I don't see how it would fit under the "clip" on the top of the mount without some sort of adaptor.

I guess I will wait for the official TomTom announcement, presumably they too are waiting to get their hands on an iPhone 4 so they can test this Laughing
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrisnetx wrote:
TomTom announced that 1.4 was submitted to Apple for approval about 2 weeks ago, I think it is Apple, not TomTom to blame for the delay.

That is incorrect, on 4th June TomTom issued the following:
Quote:
London – June 4, 2010 – TomTom will introduce multitasking to the TomTom app for iPhone. Its next version, which will be compatible with iOS 4, will be submitted to Apple for review after the June 21 release of iOS 4.

Quote:
I don't think TomTom have officially announced the compatibility of the original mount with the new phone.

That is true, however one would hope that Apple, who approve every item sold in their store would be in the best position to know what is and what is not compatible, else why add it as compatible?
Quote:
The iPhone 4 has different dimensions then the previous model, and lacks the curved back the mount has been specifically designed for. The iPhone 4 is slightly shorter so I don't see how it would fit under the "clip" on the top of the mount without some sort of adaptor.

The difference in heights is marginal, the 3G/3GS is 115.5mm whereas the iPhone 4 is 115.2mm, a very small difference and easily accommodated by the mount.

The biggest difference in sizes is in width/depth, 3G/3G is 62.1 x 12.3mm .
58.6 x 9.3mm.

We'll know for sure tomorrow when we collect our new iPhones.
Chrisnetx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, but I'm sure I heard some where about the app release. Guess it's a moot point really as the app is now out within a reasonable time frame.

Look forward to hearing more about the mount compatibility. I hope you update the forum once you've tested it.

Although Apple are yet to add it as compatible on the US store: http://store.apple.com/us/product/TX672LL/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Map Updates Reply with quote

I don't have TomTom for iPhone, but can someone please let me know how map updates are handled? How do you get/install them and are they free or "in-app purchases"?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: