Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nissan connect - Problem with certain USB sticks
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nissan connect - Problem with certain USB sticks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Nissan Connect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fakerst
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Nissan connect - Problem with certain USB sticks Reply with quote

Hi all Smile
I'm trying to load some POIs on my new Qashqai Ntec Nissan connect.
I followed precisely the guide here:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras-nissan-connect.php
It happens that the poi upload is very fast (the progression bar stay on the screen for a second or less then it reboot - this is normal? -) but at the end of the procedure i miss about a half of the POIs.
It seems that it loads until the "M" letter than it stops to import the POIs from the usb-stick.
The 8mb limit is not the problem because the full weight of my POIs is 2mb and it seems it stops after 1mb.
I would like to know if someone else experimented this problem since i've found only another italian people (on poigps.com forum) that had it, but the thread has not followup on that problem.

Thank to all in advance
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What POIs are you installing?
fakerst
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren for your interest!

I'm installing downloaded POIs in .csv format;
as an example of the structure of the file, following
the first row of a normal POI file:
08.64217, 45.55533, Airone (Bellinzago-NO) Bennet -27 negozi@17
and here below a warning POI:
9.152150,39.195770,071213 autovelox dir Poetto@50
All name of POIs .csv files are without spaces.

Thanks again
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you installing the normal POIs and the Warning POIs into separate directories?
fakerst
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren, problem solved Very Happy Cool

I've tried a 4th pendrive and it did the job.

On this last pendrive i've made the same things that i did before:
1) formatted
2) created the folder structure x:\myPOIs\myPOIWarnings
3) copied normal poi into x:\myPOIs
4) copied warning poi into x:\myPOIs\myPOIWarnings

I think that the lesson is: the nav memory is very "picky" on accepting data from some kind of memory stick.
If someone correctly did his homework as i did and still has problems, he/she should try different pendrive to have success.

For the records the pendrives that failed were 3:
1 - 2gb unbranded
1 - 2gb kingston
1 - 1gb unbranded
The one that won was a 4gb unbranded

Many many thanks again for your interest and your cooperation

Cheers from Italy Smile
jga40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Nissan Connect Reply with quote

Hi,

I also have a Qashqai nTec, bought new in January 2010.

I had problems initially with uploading the speed camera database, but thankfully it's now been resolved.

However, I have to say that the Sat Nav on the Nissan Connect is about the worst I've ever had. No icons for speed cameras, only a small splash sceen and a very faint bleep as a camera is approached. The Qashqai is excellent, I chose the 4x4 model as I traded in a Nissan X Trail Sport. I like the Qashqai better than the X Trail.

Buona fortuna Cool

Jim
The Lake District
England.
fakerst
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Nissan Connect Reply with quote

jga40 wrote:
No icons for speed cameras, only a small splash sceen and a very faint bleep as a camera is approached.

I completely agree with the above Sad
jga40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Nissan Connect Reply with quote

I see Nissan have just brought out an updated Qashqai and Qashqai 2.

Mainly cosmetic changes, but they've also upgraded the dashboard computer. Let's hope they've also upgraded Nissan Connect. My old Garmin i3 Street Pilot which cost a lot less than £100, and now in my wife's Nissan Micra, works a damn sight better. Exclamation
fakerst
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Nissan Connect Reply with quote

jga40 wrote:
I see Nissan have just brought out an updated Qashqai and Qashqai 2.
.....Let's hope they've also upgraded Nissan Connect.

Mine Qashqai ntec is the "updated" one (new dashboard and new front design) but the nav doesn't seem a "masterpiece" Confused personal poi/warnings management is very poor: for example, they are totally "invisibles" if you're not "navigating" to some destination...
Flake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a few hours yesterday carrying out some testing, using 11 different USB sticks (don't know how I accumulated so many; perhaps they breed in the dark), both USB 1.1 and USB 2.0, branded and unbranded, with capacities ranging from 64MB to 16GB. One of the sticks even presents itself as two devices: floppy diskette and normal USB removable 512MB disk.

I used a Samsung NC10, configured to boot between Windows 7 Home Premium, Apple OS X Snow Leopard, and Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix. All three operating systems were patched so that they were up-to-date as of yesterday. I formatted each USB stick to FAT16 (if supported; larger devices won't support it), FAT32 (except the 64MB stick; FAT32 wasn't given as an option), exFAT, NTFS, OSX Extended, OSX Extended Journaled, ext2, ext3, and ext4. All three operating systems support FAT16/FAT32, and I made sure to test the formatting in each operating system, not just Windows. The remaining formats are specific to individual operating systems.

In all cases, only FAT16 and FAT32 worked. All other formats caused the Connect either to display a "Device not supported" error message, or to sit there doing nothing at all. All 11 USB sticks worked successfully; none were rejected or led to symptoms such as described above. Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with the intricacies of flash memory to determine who the real manufacturer of the flash memory inside each stick is, regardless of external branding.

I used only the two PGPSW camera database CSV files, copied into \myPOIs\myPOIWarnings on the USB stick. I did not add any other POI files.

I used the GUI for all operating systems; I did not delve into the mysteries of the command line. The purpose of the test was twofold: firstly, to see if I could find a non-working USB stick; and secondly, to see if I could do everything in the user-friendly GUI instead of the non-user-friendly command-line. I'm comfortable on the command-line (I work in IT support), but it's unreasonable to expect everyone to be. In all cases I was able to format the USB sticks and copy the CSV files using the graphical interface.

All successful uploads happened when the USB sticks were formatted to FAT16 or FAT32. In every case, processing took ~45 seconds, with the data copying taking the first 3-4 seconds, and the remainder of the time devoted to internal processing on the Connect.

I realise this is not a conclusive test - there are millions of USB sticks out there and my paltry 11 are hardly a representative sample - but it does make me wonder if the problems people are experiencing might be due more to CSV file contents than the USB device itself.

I'll do some more experimentation (probably not today), with additional POI files, to see if I can break things.
niggle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry this is a bit off topic, but does anyone out there use a 16GB FAT32 memory stick to play music with Nissan Connect?

I filled my stick with about 8GB of music, and most of it is fine, no problems. But a few of the albums are missing. When I plug the memory stick back into my PC and have a look, I find that the entire contents of each of the missing folders have been deleted. Bad car, Naughty car.

I could go and try re-formatting, but thought I'd check first if anyone else has seen the same problem.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Nissan Connect All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: