Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera alerts on itouch
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera alerts on itouch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angus696
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Camera alerts on itouch Reply with quote

I have the tomtom GPS holder for my itouch, will the new camera alert work when using this mount??
Thanks in advance
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Camera alerts on itouch Reply with quote

angus696 wrote:
I have the tomtom GPS holder for my itouch, will the new camera alert work when using this mount??
Thanks in advance
This would be better in the CamerAlert specific forum.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Camera alerts on itouch Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
This would be better in the CamerAlert specific forum.
Done. Thumbs Up

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Camera alerts on itouch Reply with quote

angus696 wrote:
Thanks in advance

No, Touch devices are not currently supported. The app requires a data connection for map and camera submission and will not function on the Touch.
angus696
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replies
george57l
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Camera alerts on itouch Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
angus696 wrote:
Thanks in advance

No, Touch devices are not currently supported. The app requires a data connection for map and camera submission and will not function on the Touch.

Umm forgive ignorance/stupidity if/as applicable, but if a Touch user has the TomTom GPS cradle, won't the app work for warning about cameras? Ok, it won't work for submitting cameras - bu let me go out on a limb here and suggest many users won't find THAT a reason not to use it if they could.

Is the data connection actually needed for camera warning as well as camera submission? And if so, why/what for?

I'm interested as I have an old TT PND that I will migrate from one day and rather than buy a new PND I'd like to use my Touch, with a TT GPS cradle.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Camera alerts on itouch Reply with quote

george57l wrote:
Is the data connection actually needed for camera warning as well as camera submission? And if so, why/what for?

The app is designed around the map and presumes a data connection is available for the map.

As it is currently, it will not install or function on a Touch. Whether we will look to add that support at some later point I cannot say but there are issues such as the if amount of dev work required to adapt it would be justified for the number of sales.

Never say never but it is not in our short range development calendar
DaveKsailing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using CamerAlert on my ipodTouch 2G since early April and found it works without internet connection but obviously needs an external GPS.
I am greatly impressed since it's almost ended my weekly habit of CameraManager - POILoader - Nuvi710.

For an internet connection, I tether my ipodTouch to my wifi capable Nokia phone using an app called Joikuspot that enables the phone to act as a hotspot. My sim card is PAYG but with every £10 topup I get 150Mb internet use. This is plenty for several weekly trips between W Sussex and N Lancashire.

I have found that CamerAlert still works when the internet fails but there is no map background. The PP and camera icons are still displayed, but just move on a blank background.

For GPS, I jailbreaked my ipodTouch and use RoqyBT to connect to a Holux 1200M. After losing my initial gamble with a purchase of Navmii (a great shame - I like the Navmii GUI) I bought the Sygic Mobile Maps App and have found it works well with an external GPS.

At first, I downloaded the PGPS database and converted for the Sygic app at the same time as my "old" Nuvi710, but when I tried CamerAlert I found that it was far superior to the either POI capability.

Since my ipod is jailbreaked it can multi-task with the satnav app in the foreground giving voice directions and CamerAlert in the background giving camera alerts. At a push I can also view traffic on Googlemaps (oh and it plays them mp3 thingies too) Very Happy
DaveKsailing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I meant - since early March.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone fancy to try this on an iPad? It "should" work there too.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Anyone fancy to try this on an iPad? It "should" work there too.

We need the 3G version if we wish to test GPS functionality though?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: