Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - So, SYGIC redefine "next gen phones" on release of
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

So, SYGIC redefine "next gen phones" on release of

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: So, SYGIC redefine "next gen phones" on release of Reply with quote

I thought that this looked interesting, but was disappointed to see that it was running on an iphone. According to the Sygic web site, "AURA is designed for the next generation of smartphones and personal navigation devices such as the iPhone, Google Android, Windows Phone 7 and others. On heir web site tehy offer to sign you up for news, and offers in its release. BUT only for iphone.

Now iphone is not next gen. My HTC HD2 is more recent and in many ways better than an iphone, apart from the app centre that has appealed to the imagination of a lot of users and has led to the iphone being the success that it is.

What a shame that Aura seems not to be available for Windows Phone 6.5
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that now Windows have announced that WM7 (or whatever they call it) will be out later this year, there will not be much development going on for WM6.x. I understand that WM6 devices (and software?) will not be compatable with WM7, since it supposed to be a big leap forward for WM (about 2 years too late many will say!)

Not sure about the next generation iphone, but Apple have always tried to build in as much backward capability as possible in their products

When I changed my phone in December I was thinking of getting another WM, but wanted a change and opted for the Android Hero and am glad I did. Yes Google are bringing out a new version of Android soon (the one on the Nexus), but I can get a (free!) upgrade to it when they do.

BTW I have got Sygic's Mobile Maps on the Hero and am pleased with them. Their support is like a breath of fresh air compared with TT.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is safe to expect we will see this rolled out to WM7 and Android at some stage.

But it is not unreasonable for them to launch on a platform that has demonstrably more sales than any other.

Regardless of how many handsets manufacturer x, y or z have sold, as developers the question is how big is the market for apps. Apple has demonstrated that when done well their is a big market but Nokia, Android, BB and others have yet to do similarly.
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that Sygic are being unreasonable, and hope I did not imply that. Good for Sygic developing what looks to be both a fun and a practical application. Volume sales are important for any vendor, and regrettably Apple got it right when they kept the design of the iPhone locked down but created an easy to use App Store. I'm afraid I think that the screen is too small.

I am just disappointed that they have ignored Windows 6.5, and my phone in particular, and think that them saying "next gen" is incorrect.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellwalker wrote:
I am just disappointed that they have ignored Windows 6.5, and my phone in particular, and think that them saying "next gen" is incorrect.

Not sure what phone you have but again, AURA requires a fairly modern high end phone to run. WM and others have such widely varying specs that unless your phone is very recent it may not be up to the job.

Another reason Apple have cornered the market, a smaller, simpler hardware range which makes life a lot easier for dev's.
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Fellwalker wrote:

Not sure what phone you have but again, AURA requires a fairly modern high end phone to run. WM and others have such widely varying specs that unless your phone is very recent it may not be up to the job.

Another reason Apple have cornered the market, a smaller, simpler hardware range which makes life a lot easier for dev's.

As I said in my first post, an HTC HD2. Ample power, memory and ability. It only fails the WM7s test because it has 5 buttons not 3.

Oh, and I understand the Apple / Microsoft issue. See my post here http://forums.thoughtsmedia.com/f396/why-half-baked-windows-phone-7-release-hd2-bad-idea-97185.html#post719056
homersolly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sygic on my iphone at present & really pleased with it.

Do we know any release dates or costs at present?

Kevo
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homersolly wrote:
Do we know any release dates or costs at present?

Not yet no.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: